Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times

Advertisements

I noticed 5 days ago that Charlie had been itching his right eye with his paw. It was time for a bath anyway so I gave him one but upon closer inspection I saw a bump next to his eye (not near his tear duct, but the other side). It looked like a bug bite almost. I kept an eye on him (no pun intended!), scolded him for scratching and at the vet's suggestion I gave him some Benadryl. It didn't work and I guess he must have been scratching while we were sleeping because we woke up yesterday morning and his whole eye lid and area around his eye was swollen and red. It was even open and oozing/bleeding (sorry, I know--gross). So I took him to the emergency vet and they gave me an anti-histamine pill to give him, drops for his eye and an e-collar. (Plus he's already on an antibiotic for a UTI.)

I already have an appointment with my regular vet tomorrow morning, I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do for him until then?? He's so miserable I got him a flexible/fabric e-collar, figuring it will be more comfortable but he still hates it. But as soon as I take the collar off, he scratches right away!

This happened so suddenly and the bump appeared before I started him on the anti-biotic so I know it's not an allergic reaction or anything. Has anyone else had this happen or does anyone know what it could be? He doesn't have sensitive skin and has never had allergies..... And all the medicines don't appear to be helping with the swelling or redness or anything.

(Sorry this is so long!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:52 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
What you Are doing See the Vet! Good Luck!!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
You might want to try some warm soaks for the eye. When my pug had a stye (a hordeolum) the vet suggested that - I was skeptical, as pugs and eyes are a sensitive combination, but he LOVED the warm soaks!!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
could it be an ingrown hair or eyelash or maybe a pimple??

warm soaks sound like a great idea, whatever the case......

Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,408 times
Warm soaks for sure, but make sure you use a clean wash cloth every time.

Bella had some yellow puss like stuff coming out of one of her eyes and it was very irritated and red. The vet thinks it was just an infection and gave some eye drops that were the biggest pain to get IN her eye, as well as an e-collar.

Keep the collar on him no matter how much he hates it. My other dog Buster is in an e-collar at least once a week because of the problem I have with his skin on his hip, he'll get use to it eventually.

Just keep an eye on his eye lol keep doing the drops. Were the drops you got more gooey than liquid? I got the gooey drops and because it's just me here with the dogs right now it was a pain trying to get them to go in her eye, or trying to get her head held still an to open her eye wide enough lol

Good luck! I'm sure over time and being on the meds he will get better.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:41 PM

i just went through the whole eye infection thing with dave..... drops in his eye and antibiotic pills.....

the pills are EASY.... just hide 'em in a bit of peanut butter.....

for the drops, i wait until he is sleeping or dozing on the sofa and sneak up behind him, pin his head and put the drops in before he really realizes what is going on.... sounds mean, and reading it, sounds rougher than it actually is, but was the best i could come up with because the housemate was gone for a few days......

he is so lanky that if he is awake, he can squirm right away from me while i am trying to get drops in his eye without actually poking it out with the the bottle tip.........

Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i just went through the whole eye infection thing with dave..... drops in his eye and antibiotic pills.....

the pills are EASY.... just hide 'em in a bit of peanut butter.....

for the drops, i wait until he is sleeping or dozing on the sofa and sneak up behind him, pin his head and put the drops in before he really realizes what is going on.... sounds mean, and reading it, sounds rougher than it actually is, but was the best i could come up with because the housemate was gone for a few days......

he is so lanky that if he is awake, he can squirm right away from me while i am trying to get drops in his eye without actually poking it out with the the bottle tip.........

hahahahahahaha

I wish I had thought of that with Bella, but I think she would even wiggle her way out of it half asleep. She's a sneaky lil thing! Mine would have been easy had they not given me drops that were like gel instead of liquid.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM

dave had infections in both eyes when i first brought him home..... we had ointment that time..... the drops are WAY easier to deal with......

Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
dave had infections in both eyes when i first brought him home..... we had ointment that time..... the drops are WAY easier to deal with......
I can imagine. The vet handed them to me and showed me that they were ointment and I'm like "you want me to do what with that? are you out of your mind?" It got to the point where they were falling onto her lashes or right outside her eye and after going through almost half the tube in one try I gave up. lol

Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 PM

when i took dave in for this latest thing, i specifically told them that i needed something that could be applied a minimal number of times per day because i was on my own with him.... the drops were still needed 3x day, but were ever so much easier to administer........

oh and crucial to the whole stealth application thing is ...... have the cap off of the bottle BEFORE you begin the operation...... this is experience speaking.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs