U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,856,826 times

Advertisements

Spent the last week with Kota...what a sweetie she has turned out to be. Still very skittish...she is just 8 months old and not trusting of people at all. BUT, once she knows you...She's your best friend and such a lover.
Chris still having problems getting her to eat..I offered that dog, chicken, steak, burgers, treats of every kind...sometimes she'd take it, other times, it could very well be cardboard, she'd want nothing to do with it. Cooked or Raw...have never seen a animal so LESS food motivated!
Not a sign of aggression and runs freely with all the kittens of the cattery. She loves them and they love her. Even brought our Jax with us...and she never gave him a second look...just another kitten to play with in her eyes.

You can see how tall and lean she is here:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM

16,666 posts, read 26,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Spent the last week with Kota...what a sweetie she has turned out to be. Still very skittish...she is just 8 months old and not trusting of people at all. BUT, once she knows you...She's your best friend and such a lover.
Chris still having problems getting her to eat..I offered that dog, chicken, steak, burgers, treats of every kind...sometimes she'd take it, other times, it could very well be cardboard, she'd want nothing to do with it. Cooked or Raw...have never seen a animal so LESS food motivated!
Not a sign of aggression and runs freely with all the kittens of the cattery. She loves them and they love her. Even brought our Jax with us...and she never gave him a second look...just another kitten to play with in her eyes.

You can see how tall and lean she is here:
My, how she's grown! Yeah, she's lean, but still... tall! And gorgeous!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
Oh, I just love this dog! Thank you so much for the update--you can really see the wolf in her now (that tail!)

My only suggestion would be to allow her to free feed (if you aren't already doing so) so that she will have access to the food when she wants it and to make sure that she is on a regular dewormer. If you are already doing so, then you might think of taking her to the vet's for a blood panel/test. Most larger dogs prefer higher protein kibble. However, if the kibble is too high in protein for her, it might be stressing her kidneys, which would explain why she would refuse raw meat.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "rangy" aspect of her appearence, especially if she is on a regular dewormer and everything checks out okay at the vet's. My GSD looked like the most pitiable creature during her younger years; the "wolfy" dogs are notoriously difficult to keep weight on, their metabolisms are so high. My GSD will be nine in March and she has only now begun to fill out.

She is absolutely gorgeous and I am sooooooo jealous! I hope that moron who abandoned her sees these pictures and is kicking himself.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM

9,354 posts, read 16,827,643 times
what a beautiful face!! her intelligence just shines from her eyes!!

and my goodness..... those ears!!

she's built like dave.... looks to be a bit taller than he is though..... he weighed about 50 lbs when i brought him home from the shelter at age 10 months and has gained 3 more over the last couple of months..... still VERY long and lean, but i can see just a bit more meat on him.....

he is not very food motivated for training..... treats.... he likes 'em ok .... but just as often as not, he can take 'em or leave 'em.....

he eats well .... not as much as one would think a dog his size would, but he plays, runs, jumps, poops, everything else just fine, so i am not worried about him....... figure that is just the way he and his body and metabolism are......

wish **I** had that problem.......

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
what a beautiful face!! her intelligence just shines from her eyes!!

and my goodness..... those ears!!

she's built like dave.... looks to be a bit taller than he is though..... he weighed about 50 lbs when i brought him home from the shelter at age 10 months and has gained 3 more over the last couple of months..... still VERY long and lean, but i can see just a bit more meat on him.....

he is not very food motivated for training..... treats.... he likes 'em ok .... but just as often as not, he can take 'em or leave 'em.....

he eats well .... not as much as one would think a dog his size would, but he plays, runs, jumps, poops, everything else just fine, so i am not worried about him....... figure that is just the way he and his body and metabolism are......

wish **I** had that problem.......
Ya know...i was just thinking the same thing! If I could only "up" my metabolism! Yes...She is free fed....but just when I think she is eating alot...time wise, she can stand at the bowl and appear to be eating for 10 min....You look in there and she's eating just a few pieces of kibble at a time! She loves her treat ball and probably gets half of her kibble allowance that way. But it is one, painstakingly piece at a time!
Starla....just up in until a few weeks ago, Chris was working as a vet tech for a vet...and they ran all kinds of tests on her. Her counts all normal....And she acts normal is every way...poops, plays and high energy level...and is the best retriever of toys!
She is very intelligent and learns any command or trick quickly. We laugh tho...tell her to sit or down and she is never quite all the way down...butt is up high enough, ready for her release word and ready to get back to action.
Her fur amazes me....It is the softish thing I have ever felt! Not at all stiff or spikey feeling...soft like rabbit fur! But the shedding....flies constantly!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,121,704 times
What a beautiful animal. Thanks for posting positive stuff about a Wolf Hybrid.

I think I've read that they don't eat like pure "domestic" animals because in the wild they are not accustomed to eating on schedule...

Just Beautiful!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM

9,354 posts, read 16,827,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Ya know...i was just thinking the same thing! If I could only "up" my metabolism! Yes...She is free fed....but just when I think she is eating alot...time wise, she can stand at the bowl and appear to be eating for 10 min....You look in there and she's eating just a few pieces of kibble at a time! She loves her treat ball and probably gets half of her kibble allowance that way. But it is one, painstakingly piece at a time!
Starla....just up in until a few weeks ago, Chris was working as a vet tech for a vet...and they ran all kinds of tests on her. Her counts all normal....And she acts normal is every way...poops, plays and high energy level...and is the best retriever of toys!
She is very intelligent and learns any command or trick quickly. We laugh tho...tell her to sit or down and she is never quite all the way down...butt is up high enough, ready for her release word and ready to get back to action.
Her fur amazes me....It is the softish thing I have ever felt! Not at all stiff or spikey feeling...soft like rabbit fur! But the shedding....flies constantly!

oh, that is SO bailey and dave...........

Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Well.....here are a few more shots of her:

Check out the long legs....this is her "I'm ready to play" down stay

Those ears and long snout!

And her...".I really am a sweetie" look

Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM

511 posts, read 1,983,348 times
Beautiful! I had to go back and read her story. What a lucky canine! It's so nice to see a hybrid who is in a GOOD place. When I lived in CO, a neighbor down the block bought a wolf hybrid and that poor girl was miserable. They did not know how to care for her at all. People who breed & sell hybrids are only in it for the $$$ and don't care what kind of homes they send the pups to. So people end up mistreating them, putting them to sleep or doing something terrible like that man did to Kota, or they'll just let them go (horrible idea!).

It's so awesome that your sister found Kota & was able to save her & give her a second chance!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Beautiful! I had to go back and read her story. What a lucky canine! It's so nice to see a hybrid who is in a GOOD place. When I lived in CO, a neighbor down the block bought a wolf hybrid and that poor girl was miserable. They did not know how to care for her at all. People who breed & sell hybrids are only in it for the $$$ and don't care what kind of homes they send the pups to. So people end up mistreating them, putting them to sleep or doing something terrible like that man did to Kota, or they'll just let them go (horrible idea!).

It's so awesome that your sister found Kota & was able to save her & give her a second chance!!!
Thanks SheridanPDC....She started out rough....but has the life of luxery now. Well taken care of and every whim forfilled! Chris is actually my daughter, not my sis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs