Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I love animals but I just couldn't take a lab puppy...I am not up to it, my house is not up to it and I am sure my cats would agree if they could type.

I have been around adults once they are calmed down and thats awesome, they are wonderful dogs, I even babysat for a dog named Molly, she was wonderful.

My elderly Mother was here at the time and Molly sat right beside her all day when I was at work, almost like she was protecting her, she realized she couldn't rough house with my Mother AND she went out to potty in the fenced in back yard and came running back with no problem for my Mother...

This is also why I think adopting adult dogs is such a good idea...you already have an idea of what their personalities are like before you bring them home.
Couldn't agree with you more here. You really have to be ready for a puppy of any kind, but some breeds, labs included, are way harder than others! Fun but harder to deal with and puppyhood lasts a much longer time! As for the adults the behavior you described is so typical of labs, mine must be in the room with me at all times...even if that means climbing up and down the steps all day, sometimes I close her in my bedroom until I'm done with all my up and downs to save her arthritic joints from the stair assault, because she won't stay put and wait for me to return on her own if I don't, too loyal....they really do seem to sense who they can "knock" over and who should be handled gentler...it's kind of eery at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Maybe you should consider agility! Sounds like she has a nack for it and it's a great work out physically and mentally for both of you!
This is a new one on me. What's an agility workout for dogs?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:24 AM

389 posts, read 3,539,026 times
Agility is like the competitions you see on tv...lots of running for both of you, jumps, tunnels, weaving, teeters...super fun. When I was in college, I did dog training for lab credits, and agility was by far my favorite. The dogs and the owners had soooo much fun, and since it's mentally challenging too (keeping straight where you're going, where you've been, and making sure you signal your dog correctly, and same for the dog). If it sounds like something you would enjoy, check around your area for a place that does agility. You don't have to compete, and it's just a lot of fun and a great bonding experience for you and your dog.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:25 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Type Agility into your search engine lots of wed sites...BUT since you are in Alaska how about hooking her to a dog sled? Better yet let her be a pup!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Type Agility into your search engine lots of wed sites...BUT since you are in Alaska how about hooking her to a dog sled? Better yet let her be a pup!!!
O.K. I'm trying really hard not to be irritated.

I deserved the slam about the agility workout. Usually, my first instinct is to do a web search. Don't know what came over me except the natural inclination to answer a post.

Second, it's summer in Alaska and the current temps where I live are in the 70s. Where do you expect me to find the snow???? Furthermore, I'm quite familiar with the sport of sled dog racing. Not all dogs are good sled dogs; they just aren't built for it. Labs, especially the small variety which I have, definitely are not built for it! Finally, even if she were built for it, she would have to be quite a bit bigger.

Quote:
Better yet let her be a pup!!!
First, my original post clearly stated I thought the chewing was under control and it was just a matter of time before she's fully trained. Still, some people have kindly offered suggestions, and I'm very grateful to those people because I feel that I can always benefit from others' experience. But I'm not going to let her "be a pup" and chew everything in site! Not only is it dangerous to her and expensive for us, but it wouldn't reflect on me very well if I didn't address her bad habits.

Second, I've had puppies peeing and pooping in my house since February 6. They're puppies; that what they do! Never once were the puppies admonished for doing this natural function. However, when the litter mates went to their new homes, it was time to start house breaking training. This is not unreasonable!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 AM

389 posts, read 3,539,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
O.K. I'm trying really hard not to be irritated.

I deserved the slam about the agility workout. Usually, my first instinct is to do a web search. Don't know what came over me except the natural inclination to answer a post.

Second, it's summer in Alaska and the current temps where I live are in the 70s. Where do you expect me to find the snow???? Furthermore, I'm quite familiar with the sport of sled dog racing. Not all dogs are good sled dogs; they just aren't built for it. Labs, especially the small variety which I have, definitely are not built for it! Finally, even if she were built for it, she would have to be quite a bit bigger.

First, my original post clearly stated I thought the chewing was under control and it was just a matter of time before she's fully trained. Still, some people have kindly offered suggestions, and I'm very grateful to those people because I feel that I can always benefit from others' experience. But I'm not going to let her "be a pup" and chew everything in site! Not only is it dangerous to her and expensive for us, but it wouldn't reflect on me very well if I didn't address her bad habits.

Second, I've had puppies peeing and pooping in my house since February 6. They're puppies; that what they do! Never once were the puppies admonished for doing this natural function. However, when the litter mates went to their new homes, it was time to start house breaking training. This is not unreasonable!!!

I am glad you said it because I was really trying to bite my tongue and it's starting to hurt

Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
I have perused this thread, not read every word mind you, so if I repeat something that's been posted, I'm sorry.

First of all, just wanting to tell you there's hope with the potty training. My male who is Border Collie/Lab and ?? was found at the age of one years old on Christmas Eve 2002, on a chain with no food, water or shelter and frozen to the ground. Having been kept outside after his cute stage he actually took to housetraining right away when we brought him home. The only time he's lifted his leg in our home is when my husband ignored his plea to go outside... not the dog's fault, rather the husband's fault

Many have given you suggestions on wearing the pup out, agility and other ideas. My question, how much obedience work have you started with him? You don't need a formal class for this. If I read correctly you still have the Lab mom there? If so she'll be you best teacher's aide. Simply grab a handful of kibble and when asking both to sit (you may have to position him into at first) make certain to give each a kibble as a treat right after the sit.

If you haven't already, pop a collar and leash onto the pup to get him used to wearing one and then it will help you in the training process of obedience.

Also, have you ever read the book Marley & Me? If not, I highly suggest you getting your hands on it

Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I'm guessing you don't realize that some breeds of lab were actually bred for field agility and that agility training as described by Turtle would be a great idea for the high energy of this pup.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Agility, tracking, herding - all of these are high energy sports for high energy dogs, and a tired dog is a good dog! Please look into anything you may have in your area. I guess you can't try dock diving, huh? LOL! The active working categories may require YOU to become extremely involved in your dog's training, but it sounds like you have a very energetic pup with a lot of drive that, if harnessed correctly, could make an outstanding prizewinner! Beware agility is addictive, not only for the dog, but for the handler!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If I read correctly you still have the Lab mom there? If so she'll be you best teacher's aide.
Having mama lab has been a great help (usually )! She sometimes fetches up Juniorina when she's wandered off. Actually, the benefit has been more for Mama's sake than the puppy's, though. Mama's personality has reality leveled out quite nicely. Also, when I was working with Juniorina on leash with sit-stay-come, Mama wanted in on the act! (Treats are a great incentive! ) Since Juniorina's time was up, I kept her on the leash to follow me around, and had Mama sitting and staying and coming all over the place! Hard-headed Mama is listening much better now than she was before!!! YEE-HAW!!!

Using the leash is helping (I think) with the house training. When I think puppy has to do her business, I slip the leash on her and out to the yard we go! She doesn't get to explore until she's done her thing. She was getting very distracted before this, and only doing half the job. I mean, really, peeing and walking at the same time is not conducive to emptying the bladder! Once she's concentrated on doing her job, she's FREE!

We've only had one house incident in the last two days, and that was right next to the door as we were headed out! (Now, if hubby had taken her out 15 minutes earlier when I had suggested it--I was cooking dinner--we might have avoided that. Somehow, I just knew that with all the water she'd been drinking, she would need to go even if she'd been out 15 minutes earlier!)

So, things are looking up!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs