Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times

Advertisements

Sometimes mange is hard to detect, the vet may need to do another scraping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
A couple of things come to mind. I had a standard schnauzer that had a few spots of fur fall out, I figured out that I had not rinced the shampoo out of her well enough and she was sensitive to it.
The other thing that I was thinking is that the vet should check the dogs thyroid function. An unbalanced thyroid can cause fur to drop along with a lot of other problems.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
My dog began losing hair in small, dime sized patches on the top of her shoulders last week. Slowly she has been getting more and more patches on her back and down her side. I took her to the vet and she did a skin scrape. She said it was negative for mange. Her skin was not inflamed or irritated, so she didn't think it was allergies. She basically said she had no clue- gave me a prescription for a skin antibiotic and said to monitor her. She keeps getting new spots! Her skin is flaky and dry as well. Any advice anyone?

Also- She's on Nutro at the moment.
How is your dog doing now, is everything ok , as lucknow mentioned thyroid can cause problems.

Has the vet done bloodwork?

If this tends to go on you may want to mention to the vet to test for Cushings.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
A couple of things come to mind. I had a standard schnauzer that had a few spots of fur fall out, I figured out that I had not rinced the shampoo out of her well enough and she was sensitive to it.
The other thing that I was thinking is that the vet should check the dogs thyroid function. An unbalanced thyroid can cause fur to drop along with a lot of other problems.
I was thinking the same about the thyroid. I would talk to my vet about getting it checked.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,475 times
My dog just started loosing some hair in those very same spots, only above her shoulders, no where else....now the spots are spreading. Her skin is dark, but it's not flaky or irritated. She's outside a lot and at first we were thinking it was a reaction to black flies or other insect bites, but i'm not convinced. Her other characteristics are completely normal; eating and drinking fine. now here's the weird part. her brother, started loosing hair too and they rushed him to the vet. they did a skin scraping and have not found anything hey were looking for, mange or other allergies, but suggested they keep him inside, away from the sun and out of the bugs and I believe they have him on a steroid now. what do you think is going on? we put front line on her 9 days ago...

Old 06-18-2011, 04:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
1: VET

hairloss is not normal...
have the vet check for both types of mange AND fungus/ringworm...
i dont understand why vets are checking for mange and not checking for ringworm given how common ringworm is...
round patches of hairloss are VERY commonly ringworm which IS contagioues to humans! but 100% treatable.

allergies usually present more as itchy and thinning hair on the butt, feet and tail.

insect bites can sometimes cause localized hairloss around the bite, but usually its again thinning of the hair rather than circlular patches. circles about the size of a dime or penny (and sometimes bigger) are usually ringworm. (hence the name ring)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs