U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 PM

242 posts, read 599,427 times

Advertisements

My dog began losing hair in small, dime sized patches on the top of her shoulders last week. Slowly she has been getting more and more patches on her back and down her side. I took her to the vet and she did a skin scrape. She said it was negative for mange. Her skin was not inflamed or irritated, so she didn't think it was allergies. She basically said she had no clue- gave me a prescription for a skin antibiotic and said to monitor her. She keeps getting new spots! Her skin is flaky and dry as well. Any advice anyone?

Also- She's on Nutro at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM

22,288 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
My dog began losing hair in small, dime sized patches on the top of her shoulders last week. Slowly she has been getting more and more patches on her back and down her side. I took her to the vet and she did a skin scrape. She said it was negative for mange. Her skin was not inflamed or irritated, so she didn't think it was allergies. She basically said she had no clue- gave me a prescription for a skin antibiotic and said to monitor her. She keeps getting new spots! Her skin is flaky and dry as well. Any advice anyone?

Bear has somthing like that. He got some stuff from the vet. Dermazole to use for his bath. Twice a week.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,898,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post

Well, it can't do any harm to put her on a better, grain-free food.

While the skin scrape was negative for mange, did the vet test or mention ringworm (which isn't a worm, it's fungal infection)?

Dermazole that Driller mentions is an anti-fungal shampoo.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Well, it can't do any harm to put her on a better, grain-free food.

While the skin scrape was negative for mange, did the vet test or mention ringworm (which isn't a worm, it's fungal infection)?

Dermazole that Driller mentions is an anti-fungal shampoo.
Yes, Bear has two spots on his back. About a penny size. The hair just comes out with a comb.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
ZSP

1,177 posts, read 2,230,606 times
Ditto the post about a better food. I live in the southwest desert (dry) and give my dogs a bit of oil everyday....either fish oil capsules, salmon oil, coconut, even a tsp of olive oil will do.

If you're in a dry climate, running a cool mist humidifier will help too.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Did the vet check for fungus? To do that the skin scraping should be done and made into a KOH (potassium hydroxide) prep for detecting the fungus.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Did the vet check for fungus? To do that the skin scraping should be done and made into a KOH (potassium hydroxide) prep for detecting the fungus.
Mine did. That is what I meant by a "comb".

We could not see it but, could feel it.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM

No, I dont think she tested for ringworm or fungus. I guess I'll have to call again in the morning. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,923,780 times
It could also be mange.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It could also be mange.

she was skin scraped and tested for mange- negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs