Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times

Advertisements

Danny Boy is me & my dad's dog, I've mentioned him on here a few times in the past. His medical issues have gotten to a really bad point this last year or so I want to share his story and ask that you keep him in your thoughts.

We adopted Danny from our local shelter. He's a golden retriever/lab cross. When he was a puppy, he and his litter mates were chained to a log in a back yard. The man who owned them beat them very badly. Only three of the puppies were found alive, and one of those three died in the shelter due to injuries from the abuse.

When I first saw Danny he was doing the best he could to dissapear into the floor of his kennel at the shelter. He was around 5 months old. I had just moved back to WY and was living with my parents for the time. My little sister was voulenteering at the shelter, and she introduced me to him. He wasn't interested in toys, and he didn't want anything to do with people. My sister and I sat in his kennel quietly for a while but Danny stayed pressed against the back wall, terrified.

That night I asked my parents for a special Christmas present. Danny Boy became a member of our family the very next day.

Danny was scared of everything. He didn't want to be touched or played with, he just wanted to hide. He didn't know how to be a puppy. My dad's older golden, Shiloh, accepted him quickly and being with another dog made Danny's tail wag a little bit. We worked with him slowly, every day, and brought him out of his shell. Eventually I was able to take him for long walks and bike rides. He came to trust again, and to know that he was safe. To this day though, he dose not trust men other than my dad & a few of my dad's friends.

When I moved out of my parents house, I knew I couldn't separate Danny & Shiloh. Danny stayed, and totally became my dad's dog. Danny, Shiloh, and my dad are inseperable. The dogs sleep in comfort on the bed and are pretty much spoiled. They lead a comfy life

Unfortunatly, as a possible result of being badly beaten when he was a puppy, Danny developed seizures. His seizure disorder has gotten worse in the past few years, and this last year it has escalated to the point where the only option may be to put him to sleep His seizures have become increasingly violent and his quality of life is rapidly going downhill. My dad has tried many different medication combonations & treatments, and most seem to work for a while but the seizures always return. This past weekend Danny had the worst seizures of his life, and my mom suggested to my dad that it is time to let Danny go. There is one last medication my dad is trying, and if it dosen't work he said he will take Danny to the vet for the final time. Danny Boy is six years old.

I know this is just tearing my dad to pieces. Danny and Shiloh are more than just dogs to him. Shiloh is about 15 years old, and though he is happy he has quite a few age issues and probably will not be around for much more than another year. And now, it looks like my dad will have to let Danny Boy go very soon as well. He's given Danny a good life, poor Danny's come so far since his horrible experience as a puppy... I feel so sad that his life is already comming to an end. As hard as it will be for me to say goodbye to Danny, I have a feeling it will be 10 times harder for my dad

Please keep Danny Boy and my dad in your thoughts. Shiloh too. And thank you for giving me a place to share Danny's story. I will post any updates I get here, though it may be a while before we know the results of this new treatment. I have my fingers crossed but honestly I will be very surprised if it works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 PM

45 posts, read 80,397 times
As someone who has experienced their dog going through seizures, my heart goes out to you, your dad, and Shiloh. Many, many prayers for Danny Boy.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
All good thoughts and prayers are sent your way. **Virtual hugs**

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I'm so sorry to hear about Danny Boy. What a wonderful life he has had with you and your father. I'm praying for the little guy and for the rest of your family, too.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,656 times
I'm sorry to hear about this difficult situation. Danny & Shiloh are obviously blessed with a lot of love. Thoughts and prayers for all of you.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
I am so very, very sorry for you, your mom and your dad.

My thoughts and prayers to you all.

A fitting namesake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852gv...eature=related

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Poor Danny boy what an awful beginning to his life but at least he found love and was able to trust again thanks to you and your family. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that this medicine helps and buys him alot more time. Sending prayers you way for Danny boy and your whole family.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I am so sorry for all of you! I hope this last medication works for Danny, poor baby asked for none of this. Bless you all for taking him in and working to make him feel safe and loved.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 AM

164 posts, read 568,452 times
I am sending all good and positive thoughts to Danny Boy and your dad!!! Please keep us updated!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
So glad you took the little guy in and gave him so many wonderful years. I do hope a medical answer can be found for the seizures.
Another point, it's good to have loved enough to feel so sad at the possibility of losing that person or animal. Some people don't love much at all, if at all. I know that's cold comfort... and I do hope an answer can be found for Danny. Six is just too short a life. We're never ready to lose them, true, but six... Remember that every moment since he came to you has been a blessing to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs