U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,413,637 times

Advertisements

I buy my dog's insulin (Vestulin) from PetMeds because it is cheaper than the vet.

We get a letter from PetMeds saying Vestulin is being discontinued-have your vet prescribe something else.

I'm at the vet's the other day and bring this up. He seemed to know nothing about it. He goes into the hallway and discusses it with his boss. I could overhear the conversation. The boss had heard of this. They (the vet's practice) were going to decide as a group what they were going to do. In the meantime they had plenty in stock AND he stated it was still available but possibly not as effective.

There is conflicting opinion about this. PetMeds has already discontinued it. The vet said it is not being discontinued.

Anyone know the real scoop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,464,630 times
I haven't heard anything from my vet...yet.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,552,202 times
All the information is here: Vetsulin for Diabetic Dogs - Dog Owners - Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health

Have your vets take a look.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,118,627 times
You may try to get the Vetsulin/Caninsulin from Canada or the UK. Vetsulin is know as Caninsulin in the UK

The transition most likely will be to Human NPH Insulin, my dog uses this type of insulin.

There are other types also, I feel if you cannot get Vetsulin/Caninsulin until they resolve their formulas to try the NPH.

Keep in mind with NPH insulin you need different syringes U-100's and also the starting dose will be about 25% less than the Vetsulin/Caninsulin.

Make sure your vet knows that. Some do not, and prescribe the same number of units.

NPH insulin is injected twice daily, as well as Vetsulin, about 1/3 of pets can be regulated with Vetsulin using the 1 injection per day method, you will hear that on the link below.

I can understand the worry here. If down the road you find you cannot get the Vetsulin/Caninsulin your vet should recommend NPH

NPH can be purchased as the Relion Novolin NPH brand at Walmart its about $22.00, its available at other pharmacy's also.

Eli Lily's brand is much higher around $50.00+

With the NPH insulin you will be using less insulin.

This link will give some info at the beginning then if you have the patience to listen how its made for awhile, questions are answered at the end.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/15e18e8f-8...27161/Vetsulin

The vets knew about this quite awhile ago, it irritates me that are wondering what to do now.

Please feel free to contact me if need any help understanding this.

Last edited by rural lady; 01-18-2010 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: link

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,413,637 times
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:01 PM

298 posts, read 603,264 times
When I read about the problems with Vetsulin I called the vet immediately. The vet had not notified us about the problem of instability in Vetsulin. I get the feeling that vets are stuck with a supply of the stuff and are not being reimbursed by the manufacturer. Our Jedi is now switched to Relion NPH from Walmart which is 2/3 of the cost of Vetsulin. Instead of 13 units 2X day he now gets 5 units 2X day. We will check his glucose level at the vet again in a couple of weeks (he was checked there today) though my husband is diabetic and will probably check him sooner. He seems to be doing just fine and the Relion is much cheaper and he needs less. Something real "fishy" is going on here. I don't know why anyone would be prescribed Vetsulin in the first place.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,118,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alle View Post
When I read about the problems with Vetsulin I called the vet immediately. The vet had not notified us about the problem of instability in Vetsulin. I get the feeling that vets are stuck with a supply of the stuff and are not being reimbursed by the manufacturer. Our Jedi is now switched to Relion NPH from Walmart which is 2/3 of the cost of Vetsulin. Instead of 13 units 2X day he now gets 5 units 2X day. We will check his glucose level at the vet again in a couple of weeks (he was checked there today) though my husband is diabetic and will probably check him sooner. He seems to be doing just fine and the Relion is much cheaper and he needs less. Something real "fishy" is going on here. I don't know why anyone would be prescribed Vetsulin in the first place.
I wondered if you tested your pet with a glucose meter? no doubt your husband has one, you can check your pets bg that way, you do not necessarily need a pet blood glucose meter.

This forum is for diabetic dogs, they can help with home testing with a meter and any problems you may have with converting over to NPH, I think in one of my earlier posts the vetsulin had a problem with its composition, NPH is better on the pocket, it will take some time to get adjusted, so hang in there if you do not see good results right away as it takes time.

Diabetes in your Dog - Insulin, Food, Monitoring, Testing - Forum

Scroll down to forum and click on that

Was trying to PM you but your ID says no PM's (private messages)

Last edited by rural lady; 02-03-2010 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: add

Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 14,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
The transition most likely will be to Human NPH Insulin, my dog uses this type of insulin.

With the NPH insulin you will be using less insulin.
I apologize for asking a cat questions in this forum, but I've seen no mention of NPH over there. My cat is on vetsulin and I'm wondering if NPH is also good for cats?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,933,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I apologize for asking a cat questions in this forum, but I've seen no mention of NPH over there. My cat is on vetsulin and I'm wondering if NPH is also good for cats?
My cat is on Humulin NR.. I get it from my vet. Just found out they were charging my only $40 for it when it should have been $75. Thank goodness it last a couple of months

You can order vetsulin from Canada I believe. I saw it online when I was checking for prices, I don't know if there is another insulin that you can use on cats.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 14,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
My cat is on Humulin NR.. I get it from my vet. Just found out they were charging my only $40 for it when it should have been $75. Thank goodness it last a couple of months

You can order vetsulin from Canada I believe. I saw it online when I was checking for prices, I don't know if there is another insulin that you can use on cats.
That would be a stopgap to order from Canada, since I presume it is being discontinued everywhere.

Is the Humulin NR a veterinary insulin? If not, it should be available from a pharmacy. Did you perhaps mean Humulin N? I get no google shopping hits for NR. I see it in the price range of $50 or so.

Is this a u100 insulin? Am I too nosy if I ask how many units you give and how often per day?

My vet is recommending Lantus.

Did another google for NR and now I think NR may be NPH. There is a Lily Humulin N in the search list that in the subtext shows it is NPH. In another thread somewhere, it was mentioned that at Walmart, the Reli-On NPH cost $22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs