Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times

Advertisements

The first four on this list are considered the best training books by dog behaviorists at this point in time. There is no kitcsh to these books and each will help teach you to understand how your dog's mind works and how best to work with the dog to achieve amazing results.

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller and Jean Donaldson

Turid Rugaas is something like the Jane Goodall of dogs. Living in rural Norway, Rugaas has devoted her entire life to watching and learning about how dogs communicate with each other and how we can understand what they're trying to tell us in their language. Rugaas's booklet is short but the communication methods she speaks of are very valid. The training books are essential, yes, but this one short booklet and the companion DVD, have taught me how to commuicate with my dogs in their language. When I first attempted it my dogs were astonished and broke into joyous jumping and licking, thrilled that I was finally able to understand something they wanted me to know. Cross-species communication is very difficult and humans, in dogs' eyes, are very contradictory. This booklet teaches you learn how to speak and understand dog-language. Of all my dog books, this is my most treasured.

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas

As for Cesar Millan, what he teaches about leadership and exercise are very valid and his advocacy for the, "bully breeds," is wonderful, but his training techniques are at odds with what most behaviorist believe are the best methods for creating a solid dog and, in some cases, are very dangerous to attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Caesar's Way...I have read a bunch and in my opinion it is the best.
MBG

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,807 times
SitStayFetch - [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Dog Obedience Training to Solve Dog Behavior Problems (http://tinyurl.com/6haeqj - broken link)[/SIZE][/FONT]

It's like a dog obedience guide. It gives you a lot of info on disciplining your dogs, breaking bad habits such as barking/biting/etc. and teaches you, the owner, to become more close with your pets. lol. Personally i think this is a worthy book. you might wanna give it a shot.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Long long ago, I used When Good Dogs Do Bad Things by Mordecai Siegal and Matthew Margolis.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Love, love, LOVE The Power of Positive Dog Training! The BEST!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Jason, all those books are terrific! Love Turid Rugaas.

We have the same taste in dog training. You're spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs