Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times

Advertisements

Have you had him scanned for a microchip? I'd hate for someone to rehome my dog without checking that - at the very least. Are you going to put up signs, put an ad in the paper or anything else?

Don't mean to be critical but I think every effort should be made to reunite this dog with his rightful owner. A few mats in the coat doesn't necessarily mean he was abused or severely neglected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Have you had him scanned for a microchip? I'd hate for someone to rehome my dog without checking that - at the very least. Are you going to put up signs, put an ad in the paper or anything else?

Don't mean to be critical but I think every effort should be made to reunite this dog with his rightful owner. A few mats in the coat doesn't necessarily mean he was abused or severely neglected.
I agree. And depending on how long he has been on the streets, he may not of been matted when he went missing.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I agree. And depending on how long he has been on the streets, he may not of been matted when he went missing.
I was thinking the same. It doesn't take long for a coat to mat. And there could be a dozen reasons why he has not been neutered. I'd have him scanned...some poor family maybe missing him tonight
I still think there is a good chance he maybe PB. Especially with the docked tail. He looks very much like a dog my sis had yrs ago.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
His owner may have left him w/ a dogsitter and may not be aware he's even missing. You could always post an ad in the paper or craigslist 'dog found, call to identify', w/o giving too many details, and make sure they have pictures or vet records or something to prove they own him, wouldnt' go solely on his reaction to them (one of mine lovvvves everyone and given the opportunity, would leave w/o a look back, LOL (hopefully slight exaggeration but she's very people oriented)).

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
I've posted on several sites and am going to take him to my vet in the a.m. to see if he is chipped.

That's a good idea about asking for vet records. He has a collar, so I was going to ask what it looks like. Since he hasn't been neutered, I think checking to see if they had him to a vet is a better idea. The only reason I can think not to have him neutered is to breed him. The matted hair is bad- the pix is after most were cut out. He still has them in the pads of his feet, which I've never seen before.

Does anyone know how far strays can travel? In general, I mean. We've put up flyers in our neighborhood, but maybe we should expand the area.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
If he's not neutered, he's probably not microchipped. But it doesn't hurt to check with a vet.

I wouldn't spend too much time looking for the owner. If they're looking for him, they'll run an ad or something.

The fact the tail's docked doesn't mean he's been cared for. Back yard breeders sometimes dock the tails with a pair of scissors when puppies are very young.

He's cute!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Could also be he got loose from someone visiting FL. You might also check petfinder classifieds to see if anyone posted anything there.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Default Stray dog update

The vet tech said no chip, he is about three years old. She immediately said pure bred poodle. We think he was used for breeding, as he is not fixed and seems to only poo on a hard surface, so was probably kept in a kennel.

I've posted on four sites but am going to try to contact a small dog rescue in my area. A CD member has DMed me and offered to help me find one. The closest poodle rescue is several hours away.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The vet tech said no chip, he is about three years old. She immediately said pure bred poodle. We think he was used for breeding, as he is not fixed and seems to only poo on a hard surface, so was probably kept in a kennel.

I've posted on four sites but am going to try to contact a small dog rescue in my area. A CD member has DMed me and offered to help me find one. The closest poodle rescue is several hours away.
Makes a whole lot of sense. I was going to mention the "breeder" thing, but didn't want to jump to conclusions. If there is no tat or chip...I would say a BYB. No rep. Breeder in their right mind, has a Stud dog go without identifying markers on him somewhere.
Good luck with the search for a new home for this little guy.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
I want him. Where do you live???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs