Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

I had some friends over for dinner last night, some people Beesley has spent time with before.

I had potatoes boiling on the stove, a chicken in the oven, and a pan of garlic and mushrooms in my hand when the doorbell rings. My friend answers and the two people that arrive (who LOVE Beesley) call out his name, but don't approach him.

What was Beesley's reaction?

He growls and pees ALL OVER the kitchen floor. Did I mention I'm cooking up a storm and subsequently step in dog pee??? While holding the pan?

I promptly put Beesley outside while we ate dinner, hearing him whine and scratch at the door. The only other option was to keep him inside and risk having him pee again.

I know the obvious solution is to keep people away from him, but that doesn't solve the problem.

How can help my dog learn that nobody is out to get him? I can't spend the next 10 years cleaning up dog pee and living like a hermit never allowing people over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I had some friends over for dinner last night, some people Beesley has spent time with before.

I had potatoes boiling on the stove, a chicken in the oven, and a pan of garlic and mushrooms in my hand when the doorbell rings. My friend answers and the two people that arrive (who LOVE Beesley) call out his name, but don't approach him.

What was Beesley's reaction?

He growls and pees ALL OVER the kitchen floor. Did I mention I'm cooking up a storm and subsequently step in dog pee??? While holding the pan?

I promptly put Beesley outside while we ate dinner, hearing him whine and scratch at the door. The only other option was to keep him inside and risk having him pee again.

I know the obvious solution is to keep people away from him, but that doesn't solve the problem.

How can help my dog learn that nobody is out to get him? I can't spend the next 10 years cleaning up dog pee and living like a hermit never allowing people over...
Were they especially loud?

I know that Artie -- who loves my mother-in-law -- gets upset when she gets boisterous (whether it's animated conversation or laughing loudly).

He won't pee, but he will bark his face off. It's ironic that such a loud barker doesn't appreciate loud voices in everyone, but that's the way it is.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
maybe have friends practice coming over .... 1 or 2 at a time.... and have them offer him tiny bits of fantastic treats as they come through the door....

rinse and repeat.....

rinse and repeat.....

until he figures out that people coming into the house is a REALLY GOOD thing......

recruit friends for several hours over a couple of days in a weekend... offer pizza, beer, soda.... whatever... as a THEIR reward for helping bees with his issues.......

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Were they especially loud?

I know that Artie -- who loves my mother-in-law -- gets upset when she gets boisterous (whether it's animated conversation or laughing loudly).

He won't pee, but he will bark his face off. It's ironic that such a loud barker doesn't appreciate loud voices in everyone, but that's the way it is.
Yes, they were probably louder than they should have been, but they weren't even in sight of Beesley. Plus, he's done this before. Someone could just walk by him and not even pay attention to him and he'd pee.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Yes, they were probably louder than they should have been, but they weren't even in sight of Beesley. Plus, he's done this before. Someone could just walk by him and not even pay attention to him and he'd pee.
I would think that them not being in sight, but being loud, would have been scarier for The Beezers.

But the "not even paying attention and him peeing" part... hmmm... I don't know. I wonder if those people -- not your friends; the ones that have just walked by -- remind him of someone who harmed him in the past.

Poor little man.

PS. I'm assuming that the meal, however, was YUMMY!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Poor thing. How have you been working on socializing him?

Does he do this in dog parks, or around other animals? Or just people?
Males or females? Children or adults? There is a trigger that ya need to find that's keeping him being a scaredy-cat, in order to work on it.

I would say keep an available stash of dog treats by the door, and if you have to explain in advance to any visitors, they would be doing you a favor by entering in quietly, and calmly, and friendly with a doggie treat to boot!

It's going to take time for him to stop being such a scaredy-cat. But I would spend that time trying to iron out exactly where his threshold point is that freaks him out, and why.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I agree with LTTP.....he needs more people socialization. This is actually where Chris is with Kota. She adores other dogs, but is terrified of people. Chris has found that "hanging out in the park" where kids, people, in general are all around, has helped. She keeps a bag of goodies and anyone approaching asking if they can pet Kota is handed a treat to give to Kota.
Having people come over to the house...one or two at a time and having him get use to the idea in his own domain will take some time. Friends need to keep the volume low and no sudden moves...at least until Beeze is comfortable with them.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I would think that them not being in sight, but being loud, would have been scarier for The Beezers.

But the "not even paying attention and him peeing" part... hmmm... I don't know. I wonder if those people -- not your friends; the ones that have just walked by -- remind him of someone who harmed him in the past.

Poor little man.

PS. I'm assuming that the meal, however, was YUMMY!
He's afraid of everyone except me. Even my friend who comes over on a regular basis (and who Beesley loves more than me) has to allow 5 minutes for him to warm up to her again.

I know he probably has a bad past, but I don't know how to make him realize he's safe now. If anyone ever layed a hand on him I'd cut their arm off.

Sometimes it gets SO ridiculious, like when we're on a walk and someone is on the sidewalk, too, he'll RUN over to the other side with his tail between his legs and fighting like hell to run away by pulling on the leash. Or, when we're in the car and at a stop light and he sees someone on the sidewalk outside, he'll growl and crawl into the corner of the car.

P.S. Dinner was GREAT! I brined the chicken and everyone commented on how juicy it was. I added a little bit too much cayenne pepper to the stuffed mushrooms, though. Everyone was in tears

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
He's afraid of everyone except me. Even my friend who comes over on a regular basis (and who Beesley loves more than me) has to allow 5 minutes for him to warm up to her again.

I know he probably has a bad past, but I don't know how to make him realize he's safe now. If anyone ever layed a hand on him I'd cut their arm off.

Sometimes it gets SO ridiculious, like when we're on a walk and someone is on the sidewalk, too, he'll RUN over to the other side with his tail between his legs and fighting like hell to run away by pulling on the leash. Or, when we're in the car and at a stop light and he sees someone on the sidewalk outside, he'll growl and crawl into the corner of the car.

P.S. Dinner was GREAT! I brined the chicken and everyone commented on how juicy it was. I added a little bit too much cayenne pepper to the stuffed mushrooms, though. Everyone was in tears
Wow....sounds identical to Kota. But of course, we know she had really rough start in life. I think lots of patience and treats are in order.
Do you sit with Beeze when anyone comes in the door. Maybe you calming her and telling her they are "ok" will help alleviate her fears. Patience girl...lots of patience!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
maybe have friends practice coming over .... 1 or 2 at a time.... and have them offer him tiny bits of fantastic treats as they come through the door....

rinse and repeat.....

rinse and repeat.....

until he figures out that people coming into the house is a REALLY GOOD thing......

recruit friends for several hours over a couple of days in a weekend... offer pizza, beer, soda.... whatever... as a THEIR reward for helping bees with his issues.......
I agree. In fact, this is exactly what a trainer told me to do once with another dog.

Your friend is right. Usually, company shouldn't pay attention to the dog until they settle down when they arrive but there are exceptions.
In your dog's case, I think maybe company bringing him special treats is key.

I understand why you put him outside but IMO that may be the wrong thing to do. (especially since your friends love Beasley)

He may have gotten upset because he knew he would be put outside when company arrived.
He may have gotten upset because company, to him, means that he he will be isolated. To him, that is punishment.

If you'd been cooking for a while, how long had it been since he'd been potty? Had he been for his walk?

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-25-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs