Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times

Advertisements

I have a year old male boxer, he use to be excited to see me and want to come in and play. Well the neighbors female boxer has been breaking into our yard to play with him. its ok with us because she doesnt get much attention and is neglected for days on end. however, my dog doesnt listen to me at all. he makes me so mad cause he will not come to me when I call him, he sits there and looks at me. I try to get him to come in the house and he wont because she is at the fence looking in. tonight he was laying outside on his outside bed and I called and called for him to come in, and he just stared at me. recently, the girls owner next door, blocked off her tunnel so she cant make it over anymore, so now he has been listless, wanting to do nothing but sleep, and look sad. he doesnt want to play, or go anywhere he doesnt eat as much as he did, still eats but not as much. what do I do? is he love sick? how do I get him to at least come when I call? should I stop her from ever coming over again? or maybe I should have him fixed. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Yes, he s/b fixed - and the female s/b spayed (am assuming she's not) as well - otherwise getting him to listen to you will be very challenging, as you're finding out. He's a young hormonal adolescent w/ and it's probably more fun for him to play w/ her than go in the house. When you do take him in, what do you do w/ him, do you play w/ him and give him treats or are you mad he gave you a hard time and punish/ignore him inside? What do you give him when you call him?, at first make sure he has a tasty treat every time (small, a piece of chicken, steak or cheese and go easy on the cheese or he'll get diarrhea), then you can give him a treat every other time etc - you'll get better results than using Milkbones and by keeping the treats small). Does he spend more time outside than inside (as he has a dog bed out there?, if so, you might want to change that. Do you take him for walks, he may enjoy that a lot and it would help you and him to bond etc. Does he play nice w/ other dogs, how about taking him to doggie parks where he can have some fun w/ other dogs? Has he been to obedience classes?, he's young and may enjoy that too and it would benefit both of you, just make sure they're positive-method classes that don't focus on harsh negative behavior, each lesson should end on a happy positive note and remember when you train him, short sessions only or you'll both be frustrated.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
yes, he ABSOLUTELY should be neutered..... ASAP.....

and training as explained above..... patience and time..... he will come around.......

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
You ans. your own question in the last line. He absolutely should be neutered. 1/2 of your problems will then be solved. That's not to say that training is also a key factor. But he will be much more apt to paying attention to you and your commands, after he has been fixed.
If not, things will only get progressively worse as he ages.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
I agree males are better pets when neutered, do you walk your dog? do you treat him like your child?
you should walk him daily for at least 45 min and by walking I mean walking dont let him stop and smell anything just keep him by your side,not in front of you pulling you that means he is walking you, dont come home and act excited to see him just call him over and pet him when he isn't excited. dogs dont need the attention humans do
do the controlled walk and dont treat him like a child.
my wife comes home and the dogs run and pee all over the floor because she gets them excited ,when I come home if they are excited I ignore them until they are calm and then I acknowledge them in a loving way....no pee on the floor and at night they are both on my lap not hers ....why? because I demand they act correctly....am I mean ? I dont think so these dogs follow me wherever I go,they follow my wife when she is in the kitchen knowing she will feed them because they are so cute....

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
Neuter him!!!! Is your neighbor's dog spayed? He should NOT be around another unaltered dog unless you want to create more dogs irresponsibly and "accidentally" Besides the behavior perks neutered males are healthier overall. After he's been neutered, start socializing him with other dogs, take him on walks, to parks and find a training class. Aside from the hormonal factor, he's obviously craving stimulation and fun! Provide that for him!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Have him neutered.

And then get yourselves to a training class that uses ONLY positive methods. NO yanking on the leash, no 'corrections,' no pushing the dog into position and NO alpha rolls. Interview the trainer carefully.

How do you expect him to listen if you've never TRAINED HIM?????

Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Neuter him!!!! Is your neighbor's dog spayed? He should NOT be around another unaltered dog unless you want to create more dogs irresponsibly and "accidentally" Besides the behavior perks neutered males are healthier overall. After he's been neutered, start socializing him with other dogs, take him on walks, to parks and find a training class. Aside from the hormonal factor, he's obviously craving stimulation and fun! Provide that for him!
thanks for the advice, but we do take him on walks , and to the dog park to socialize every week and to petsmart his favorite. he does have fun with us, he is not left to sit outside all day and no one plays with him. He is spoiled a bit.

no the neighbors dog is not spayed. she keeps breaking into my yard not the other way around, we do let her stay because she is in a bad situation.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
Neuter him please, lol.

He's got the hots for the girl next door. Do you have children? Wait until they hit 15. You'll want to neuter them too.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your help, we will be making him a neuter appointment asap. and going to do some training classes on the 20th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs