U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,815,003 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about anything from show or american lines but a legitimate working cocker doing either gunwork or detection work or search and rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,576,988 times
I don't personally, but I take agility lessons from a woman with field bred cockers. They are active bird dogs (and compete very successfully in agility as well!)

Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM

I am really trying to learn more about them; they are used a lot in Europe for detection work and I want to downsize with my next dog I know they are much softer in temperament than a GSD but I also know they are actually pretty tough little dogs. They are fairly uncommon.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM

823 posts, read 1,165,289 times
Maybe go to some hunting competitions and ask some people there when they are finished competing. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM

204 posts, read 531,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am not talking about anything from show or american lines but a legitimate working cocker doing either gunwork or detection work or search and rescue.
I'll keep looking, but I can't find the site of a breeder in our area who has working/conformation cockers. I did find this one, however:

About Us

Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM

214 posts, read 603,770 times
Oh, I love English Cockers, if you are looking for a performance dog, there are defintely U.S. breeders breeding performance dogs. Here is a great website from a breeder in New England who breeds dual-purpose English cockers; her dogs have both conformation and working dog titles! Great info on breedng dual purpose dogs, her philosophy and breeding program. Its an interesting read.

Woodwyn page

I am on the same page as you...I currently have a bench bred English Setter, I love the "soft" temperament, the lack of shedding, the beautiful, silky coat, the affectionate nature. But I anticipate wanting to downsize with my next dog...a bit more portable, easy to travel with, slightly more biddable dog, yet with the same friendly nature, silky, non-shedding coat. I would like to try some beginner performance trainnig, maybe rally, or agility. Will have to wait a few years until the kids are out of the house, because weekends are too busy now.

The English Cocker is still considered a rare breed in the U.S., so it may be harder to find the type of breeder you are looking for. Try looking at the breed club websites....find your regional breed club, mine is in New England. Then get the breeder lists and go to their websites, and find one with a breeding program you agree with.

I would be interested to hear from any ECS owners who are currently competing in performance events, or doing tracking or hunting. Would love to see pics of your dogs posted as well!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,576,988 times
I would absolutely suggest going to a field trial. If you are interested in a working dog, find out where people with working dogs got theirs from. You can always email a breeder who has the type of dogs you're looking for as well--anyone who is a good breeder would be happy to talk to you to find out if their dogs are ideal for your living situation and goals!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM

I think the field trial idea makes a lot of sense. A lady in texas who has used them for detection work has told me I can actually pick up one with a junior hunting title and ready to work for a decent price. That gives me basic obedience and directionals and a young adult to hit the ground running with.

I lucked onto this site too - listing breeders of hunting stock.

English Cocker Spaniel Puppies For Sale by English Cocker Spaniel Breeders, Trainers and Kennels - Gun Dog Breeders Directory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs