U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,766,830 times

Advertisements

I either need advice or a respirator!!!! My dog- a 45 lb shar pei has developed an unbearable gas problem. I have not changed his food and he does not eat table scraps- but in the last 3 or 4 days he's just full of it. Sometimes they're noisy and sometimes those silent killers- but they can clear a room.

His favorite place to sleep is next to me on the bed and his feelings get hurt when I boot him out- but I can't stomach the odors coming from him.

Does anyone know if I need to be concerned about a health issue or can anyone recommend a simple fix?

I just got him to eat a couple of tums- hoping they'll calm it down for a while!

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,027,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I either need advice or a respirator!!!! My dog- a 45 lb shar pei has developed an unbearable gas problem. I have not changed his food and he does not eat table scraps- but in the last 3 or 4 days he's just full of it. Sometimes they're noisy and sometimes those silent killers- but they can clear a room.

His favorite place to sleep is next to me on the bed and his feelings get hurt when I boot him out- but I can't stomach the odors coming from him.

Does anyone know if I need to be concerned about a health issue or can anyone recommend a simple fix?

I just got him to eat a couple of tums- hoping they'll calm it down for a while!

Thanks in advance!!
Haha... if you find the magic solution, send it this way. My bulldog can peel paint off of walls when he gets on a roll

Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,225,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post

Thanks in advance!!
Well, just a stab in the dark, but walk him or make him be involved in physical activities. Humans can develop (in plain talk) gastric buildup or extra farts LOL if they dont move around a little LOL

Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,766,316 times
Even though you haven't changed his food he may be eating more grass or weeds from the yard. That can cause gas as well. If it's not that just hold your nose...this too shall pass, no pun intended.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 PM

Actually, he is never outside unsupervised and gets walked about two miles per day...... I haven't noticed him eating any grass lately- he's never done that very much. The poor dog is going to be banished any minute now.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:25 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,508,297 times
Try this Pirate girl. Elevate their food dish the same level as their stomachs. Not much air getting into their stomachs. We seen, eh smelled, a difference. Our Frenchies can still peel paint from the walls, but not as frequent. Good luck PG! Keep a clothes pin close!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM

4,549 posts, read 15,170,962 times
First off, does his food have corn in it? If so I'd suggest switching foods.

If it doesn't have corn and you say that you've not switched foods and this is rather sudden, if things don't calm down in a few days then yes I'd call the vet.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 AM

4,549 posts, read 15,170,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Try this Pirate girl. Elevate their food dish the same level as their stomachs. Not much air getting into their stomachs. We seen, eh smelled, a difference. Our Frenchies can still peel paint from the walls, but not as frequent. Good luck PG! Keep a clothes pin close!
Yes!! Frenchies can clear a room like no others

Old 05-28-2007, 04:09 AM

599 posts, read 2,489,156 times
I have a terrier that used to peel paint with this particular problem. I started giving him fat-free yoghurt once a day, three times a week. He loves it and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the additional advice- I'm going to try the yogurt today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or