U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2010, 12:34 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,923,650 times
Default Cherry eye

When I adopted Beesley, I was told he had been treated for cherry eye at the shelter.

Lately, I've been noticing the corners of his eyes have turned red--I'm not sure if it's purely from scratching or if he's developing cherry eye again. I never see him scratch them when I'm home, but he could be doing it while I'm gone.

This picture isn't very good, but you can see a little swelling and redness developing.

Should I be worried? How does cherry eye start? I've researched it, but the pictures don't look like what he has, but it's not to say he's not getting it or has a mild form of it.

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,049,034 times
MA - do you know "how" your pup's cherry eye was treated? Whether or not it is coming back would largely depend on that I would think. If the cherry eye condition was only treated with drops and manipulation, then it can come back as I understand.

Surgery involves removing/trimming, or tacking down the 3rd eyelid, in an effort to prevent re-occurence.

His eyes only look slightly irritated to me - and that could be air borne allergies at this time of year....or high winds with dirt particles/debri.

To be safe - why don't you run him into your vet's office and have them give a look see - while the two of you are there, you can weigh him, have the staff offer him treats and use the visit to socialize him to the whole 'going to the vet' experience

Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
MA - do you know "how" your pup's cherry eye was treated? Whether or not it is coming back would largely depend on that I would think. If the cherry eye condition was only treated with drops and manipulation, then it can come back as I understand.

Surgery involves removing/trimming, or tacking down the 3rd eyelid, in an effort to prevent re-occurence.

His eyes only look slightly irritated to me - and that could be air borne allergies at this time of year....or high winds with dirt particles/debri.

To be safe - why don't you run him into your vet's office and have them give a look see - while the two of you are there, you can weigh him, have the staff offer him treats and use the visit to socialize him to the whole 'going to the vet' experience
I want to say he had actual surgery for it, but I'd have to look at his adoption papers to see for sure. All I remember being told when I adopted him is that it's a common ailment in dogs.

I can't take him to the vet until I get paid again--I'm horribly broke right now. If the swelling and redness don't go away by then, then I'm going to take him in for sure.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM

5,049 posts, read 8,149,426 times
Cherry eye is extremely common in Bulldogs. If he had it, you would know. Here is a picture of what cherry eye looks like.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Cherry eye is extremely common in Bulldogs. If he had it, you would know. Here is a picture of what cherry eye looks like.
He obviously doesn't look like that, I'm just wondering what it looks like before it gets that bad.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM

7,661 posts, read 8,675,808 times
i suspect its just a little allergy or irritation.... both of mine get that every now and again.....

Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,482,821 times
Looking at the picture, which is kind of hard to see, it doesn't look like cherry eye to me. If I remember correctly with cherry eye it just appears all of a sudden on the inside corner of the dogs eye.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM

3,713 posts, read 7,890,563 times
It doesn't look like cherry eye to me either, based on the photo. I wonder if where you live it's windy and if dirt or sand is blowing around, ie is he a digger and if so, does he put his face down in the holes etc? Would also not sure carpet powders or foams as they may irritate his eyes, also use a mild deterent on his bedding and even your clothes, if he's a lap dog. Just a few thoughts.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 PM
ZSP

1,152 posts, read 2,120,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
He obviously doesn't look like that, I'm just wondering what it looks like before it gets that bad.

There really is no "before it gets that bad" time frame with cherry eye - it is what it is and it's easily recognizable. I agree that it's probably an allergy/irritation problem and what I would do is flush his eyes with regular saline to remove any irritants. I keep a big bottle just for these kind of things. If you have eyedrops - NOT Visine - but something like Refresh Tears or a night time eye ointment (lubricant) that will help soothe the eye until you can get it checked.

Just know that eye issues, like scratches, puntures, ulcers, can go south rather quickly, so don't wait too long. Perhaps your vet will see him and let you pay later. It doesn't hurt to ask. And, thank you for adopting instead of buying. He's a fine looking boy.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:26 PM

5,049 posts, read 8,149,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
There really is no "before it gets that bad" time frame with cherry eye - it is what it is and it's easily recognizable. I agree that it's probably an allergy/irritation problem and what I would do is flush his eyes with regular saline to remove any irritants. I keep a big bottle just for these kind of things. If you have eyedrops - NOT Visine - but something like Refresh Tears or a night time eye ointment (lubricant) that will help soothe the eye until you can get it checked.

Just know that eye issues, like scratches, puntures, ulcers, can go south rather quickly, so don't wait too long. Perhaps your vet will see him and let you pay later. It doesn't hurt to ask. And, thank you for adopting instead of buying. He's a fine looking boy.
Exactly. Cherry eye looks like the picture I posted. If it doesn't look like that, it's not cherry eye. It's not something that starts our mildly, then turns into the full blown thing, which is why I posted the picture.

And I agree with ZSP, eye issues are the one thing I never ignore. It can lead to some serious issues if left untreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs