U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 PM

30,136 posts, read 16,646,161 times

Advertisements

Sorry. Just venting here. Ringo has gotten tired of TOTW so I thought I had found a great Wellness food with limited ingredients for his skin allergies AND relatively low protein for Lucy. It would work for both of them.

They hate it! The kibbles are too big for Lucy to eat so I have to smash them up for her and Ringo just plain won't eat it. He's had diarrhea all week so . . back to the drawing board.

I went back to the Pet Supply store and got Ringo more TOTW and I guess she will be eating Purina Puppy Chow forever! (Yes, I know it's crap but remember she's got those pending liver issues and it's all she will eat). Lucy can't eat TOTW because it's got way too much protein for her. I don't think I'm going to find one food that works for both.

I almost got a bag of Blue Buffalo but decided to come home and research it.

That AND the fact that two beautiful St. Bernard's came in and well, got a little too close to Ringo. So we made a fairly speedy exit. Let's just leave it there. A fairly gracious exit still, though, I think.

I am going to have to find some sample bags to try. I've already got two bags to give away to friends. It's hard to find a new food that your dog likes and is good for him too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,856,847 times
donate the unused kibble to a rescue.... thats what i have done..... and you have a tax writeoff...... in these paranoid times, might need to be one that is familiar with you though.......

Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 AM

16,693 posts, read 26,786,951 times
I've also donated food that didn't work for Artie. I didn't realize it was a tax write-off, but it sure made me feel good.

As for the sample packs, if your pet supplies store doesn't have samples (many do; mine doesn't), email the company that produces the food. Tell them which of the brands/flavors you'd like to try because you don't want to buy a big bag of it to determine if your pups like the stuff. They'll send it to you. I got all sorts of samples of different foods and different flavors from these companies -- they're very quick to try to get you to switch. It was a $ saver because I had to try a good half a dozen before I found something that interested Artie.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 AM

I am self employed and have no human children, so am ALWAYS looking for tax breaks..... the bag o' kibble can be considered a charitable donation..... particularly if the rescue is a 501.C.3 .......

Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,425,952 times
None of the shelters and rescues here will take opened bags of kibble, even if it's almost full. Come to think of it, both rescues and the shelter I volunteered for in NJ also had the same policy. It's for safety reasons. It's a shame, because I have bags of opened, high-quality kibble that can go to good use.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,904,405 times
Shelters here will take it. Lots of opened bags of both cat and dog food have been donated. Stuff my guys snubbed their noses up at
OP....If you decide to go with BB, make sure it is the Wilderness, as it is rated much higher than the regular BB. And is grain free. Logging onto their website, you can get coupons.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 AM

30,136 posts, read 16,646,161 times
Thanks for the tip on the Wilderness version. I had picked up the other bag and put it back down. So funny, there was an add for BB when I logged onto this site today so I took your advice and requested the $5.00 coupon! I'll give it a try . . . if we ever get out from under this SNOW and back to the store!!!

I think I'll give my opened bags to my friend. She has two dogs and feeds them whatever is on sale at the grocery store so maybe she'll try a higher quality brand and like it.

Our local HS has the same policy - unopened bags only.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
None of the shelters and rescues here will take opened bags of kibble, even if it's almost full. Come to think of it, both rescues and the shelter I volunteered for in NJ also had the same policy. It's for safety reasons. It's a shame, because I have bags of opened, high-quality kibble that can go to good use.

the kibble i have donated has gone to a rescue group that i fostered for last summer..... so they know me.....

i can understand the unopened bags only policy.... but sure does seem a shame.....

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,425,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I am going to have to find some sample bags to try. I've already got two bags to give away to friends. It's hard to find a new food that your dog likes and is good for him too!
Do you have any particular brands in mind that you want to try?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
If a kibble is too big, try soaking it overnight in water. That's what I do for my toothless dog, George. He eats just fine if it's softened up, and it absorbs the water very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs