Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 AM

154 posts, read 624,416 times

Advertisements

One tiny point that I must be missing - haven't seen it addressed here or in the comments on the msnbc site - how is this boy a hero? I have to assume that he wasn't able to take off with pain meds for the puppy, the poor thing must have been in excruciating pain while the owner was patting himself on the back for basically what amounts to refusing to pay for goods/services. $3.50? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

154 posts, read 624,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You know it's funny when I had been living in my house for a year or so it came time to get a new pup. Before I did, however, I called at least 3 or 4 vets to ask about the cost of vaccinations for a puppy and how it worked and not ONE of them would tell me or couldn't tell me and I told them "I'm just looking for a ballpark - I don't want to get a dog if I can't afford to care for it." and they still wouldn't tell me. So much for trying to be responsible

I had the same problem before adopting our puppy from the Humane Society...so many of them have websites...I wish that they put basic fees on there - office visit, between x lbs and x lbs would cost this much...something!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:20 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Family can't afford vet bill to fix pup; vet to put pup down; so teen kidnaps own pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyInFallston View Post
One tiny point that I must be missing - haven't seen it addressed here or in the comments on the msnbc site - how is this boy a hero? I have to assume that he wasn't able to take off with pain meds for the puppy, the poor thing must have been in excruciating pain while the owner was patting himself on the back for basically what amounts to refusing to pay for goods/services. $3.50? Seriously?
I for one don't consider this boy a hero, I consider him a thief. Like any other juvenile thief he should be arrested and taken to juvenile court. Where can you take matters you don't agree with into your own hands?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Family can't afford vet bill to fix pup; vet to put pup down; so teen kidnaps own pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinefarm View Post
Despite being financially poor the young man is moral gold.Any kid that has the fortune to be his friend is blessed.The vet is in need of moral cleansing.
And you are happy with our society in general? People who think like you are very poor parents. The kid is a thief and should be treated as one. Even tho Hitler thought the end justifies the means, it does not. But in your mind it does. Sad...

Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You know it's funny when I had been living in my house for a year or so it came time to get a new pup. Before I did, however, I called at least 3 or 4 vets to ask about the cost of vaccinations for a puppy and how it worked and not ONE of them would tell me or couldn't tell me and I told them "I'm just looking for a ballpark - I don't want to get a dog if I can't afford to care for it." and they still wouldn't tell me. So much for trying to be responsible

Many businesses won't give a quote for prices over the phone because they don't want to be stuck with some unusual circumstance, but they will give you a quote if you go to their establishment with your dog and ask "what will shots for my dog cost"? They can see and know exactly what they are dealing with.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Costs can vary between vets too. My 16 year old lab needed to have a cyst removed. I received three quotes. The first two vets quoted near $1,000. The third vet quoted $250. Same surgery, different anesthesia. The first two vets were planning to use general anesthesia. The third vet did a twilight sleep because it was safer for older pets.

As for everyone ranting about people shouldn't have dogs they can't afford. You're all forgetting that dogs can live a very long time. My lab is 16 years old. My peek-a-poo lived 22 years. Our financial situation has changed many times through those decades. While we've always been able to provide for our pets, some times it was very difficult. I can see how a family hit with severe misfortune could suddenly become "irresponsible" owners for owning a dog they suddenly can't afford in the eyes of the judgemental.

When I saw the third vet, I told her, "I received these quotes. I need alternatives. I'm already paying $150 a month in medication to give him a quality of life. My budget can only afford $300/month in medical expenses."

Heck, I was telling her this because a) I was hoping there were antibiotics that would cure the cyst; or b) that she would allow me to arrange payment plan within my stated budget. I was AMAZED when she came back with a quote of $250 to do the surgery AND that the way she was doing the surgery was safer than the other vets planned.

Moral of my story is shop around. Sure, vets won't give a quote over the phone, but a high cost procedure is certainly worth paying the extra office visit fees to obtain multiple quotes.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times
I am a single and live from month to month. I have 4 cats and a dog I love dearly. All 4 cats were strays that I took in because I knew they needed a home and love. There was no one else. Should I have taken them to the shelter where they would have been killed? It bothers me that just to walk into a veterinarian's office today will cost sometimes about $100. I don't have that!....for the most part, I believe most vets are more concerned about what they get paid rather than an animal's wellbeing.

When you go to a vet for a simple flea treatment, the treatment itself can cost $15 to $20. I order frontline or advantage online and can get it for $2.50 to $3.50 a treatment. Why are vets charging so much? That is my real problem - the average person can't afford these extravagant prices. Vets are getting rich and animals are losing out because their owners have to decide whether to have a place to live or food to eat or give that money to a vet!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustync View Post
I am a single and live from month to month. I have 4 cats and a dog I love dearly. All 4 cats were strays that I took in because I knew they needed a home and love. There was no one else. Should I have taken them to the shelter where they would have been killed? It bothers me that just to walk into a veterinarian's office today will cost sometimes about $100. I don't have that!....for the most part, I believe most vets are more concerned about what they get paid rather than an animal's wellbeing.

When you go to a vet for a simple flea treatment, the treatment itself can cost $15 to $20. I order frontline or advantage online and can get it for $2.50 to $3.50 a treatment. Why are vets charging so much? That is my real problem - the average person can't afford these extravagant prices. Vets are getting rich and animals are losing out because their owners have to decide whether to have a place to live or food to eat or give that money to a vet!
You don't know what you are talking about. You need a simple course in business and you need to learn about overhead costs associated with any business.

Vets have bills to pay just like everybody else. People think because they deal with animals they should just offer their services for free. Do you know how much the average vet has to write off due to gratis work? Would you expect your car mechanic to not care about getting paid ? Would you expect your housepainter to forget about being paid and only think about your wellbeing? Get serious.

They have exorbitant student loans, rent for their clinic, utilities, personnel costs, unemployment, insurance, supplies, equipment, malpractice insurance and of course they have to deal with low lifes who promise to pay a bill but never do.
Then they have mortgages, childcare, auto loans, insurance, food, health care for their families....in other words vets are people too and believe me most are not getting rich being a vet.

I'm all for saving money by shopping around for the best rates but I've had some terrific vets with a great deal of compassion and I'm willing to pay for that care. It baffles me that some are not. If you can't take proper care of pets don't have them.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Either way... that no-good vet should be reported & banned by new clients.
Whatever the case may be...that is NO reason to have any puppy or any dog put down.
That vet was just a money hungry $*B. He can't be the only vet around there.

I know if someone came in & couldn't afford the vet bill, our vet would work with them.
I know were talking about another country, here.

I know I would put my life down for our dogs. That may sound crazy to some. So I'm crazy about my dogs, what's new. Nobody...but nobody would even dare try to hurt or take or anything, to our dogs. That's a promise.
Agree 100%, and my dogs are my kids. That vet is scum.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If they can't afford to have the dog spayed/neutered, how on earth are they going to CARE for it? And what about the routine vaccinations? People think that dogs are no or low cost additions to the family. I wish more people would consider whether they can
AFFORD a pet before obtaining one. Any pet.
Awh that's like a person saying they can't afford children..What you toss in to the garbage is enough to feed two kids...as for a dog...I have had dogs up to 18 years with out ever seeing a vet... The only time I used to take a dog to the vet was to have it put down if it had given up the fight to live...No one has the right to force you to spay or neuter your dog. I have had spayed dogs and unfixed males....no big deal. They are dogs....Recently my eldest daughter took her old mutt to the vet to get a growth removed from the side of his leg...It was a plumb size growth held on by a tiny strand of flesh.....$900.00.............I hate vets...It took him 5 minutes and another 5 minutes to stitch up the incision. YEP - the smiling vets are the worst...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs