U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,066,088 times

Advertisements

Saw this, and it had me thinking about the other thread re man who operates on own dog, when he couldn't afford the vet bill.

The good news in this one is that the public has donated $$ to see that this pup get fixed, because this family was just floundering in trying to figure out how to save it, without the resources, and the pup was suffering through the process.

I know it isn't the first time these things have happened, nor will be the last, but it makes me think about how hard times or a hard patch of life can force people to make choices they think they'd never make - not thinking so much about this one but in general.

Teen kidnaps puppy to save it from euthanasia - Animal weirdness- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
If they can't afford to have the dog spayed/neutered, how on earth are they going to CARE for it? And what about the routine vaccinations? People think that dogs are no or low cost additions to the family. I wish more people would consider whether they can
AFFORD a pet before obtaining one. Any pet.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM

738 posts, read 2,548,805 times
Our local Human Society offers a program to have low-cost spaying/neutering to residents of the county. There aren't even any income requirements either, just a few forms and then you get a coupon to take to a local participating vet (there's about 15 in our county that participate, including our regular vet).

It drops the cost down to about $100-150 total. And I agree with Viralmd - if they can't afford a one-time $100 procedure, then they shouldn't be trying to support a dog. That's like 2 bags of food for my dog, so I thought the price was extremely reasonable.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM

501 posts, read 1,066,088 times
That is true about the cost of being responsible for another life when you make that choice, and is true for both human kids and animals as well. But that is the world as we'd like it to be, and not the world as it is and always has been.

So I guess my question is how to deal with these kinds of things when they come up, because it isn't like we are going to stop people who we think shouldn't have pets or kids from having pets and kids.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 AM

2,373 posts, read 5,237,353 times
Actually the article isn't about spay/nueter.

The pup had been hit by a car and they couldn't afford to get the leg fixed.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Actually the article isn't about spay/nueter.

The pup had been hit by a car and they couldn't afford to get the leg fixed.
That's just as bad: how did the dog get hit by a car? Someone wasn't taking appropriate care of the dog.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,501,570 times
So is a vet allowed to put an animal down without the owner's permission if the bill can't be paid? What the hell?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 25,869,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If they can't afford to have the dog spayed/neutered, how on earth are they going to CARE for it? And what about the routine vaccinations? People think that dogs are no or low cost additions to the family. I wish more people would consider whether they can
AFFORD a pet before obtaining one. Any pet.
You know it's funny when I had been living in my house for a year or so it came time to get a new pup. Before I did, however, I called at least 3 or 4 vets to ask about the cost of vaccinations for a puppy and how it worked and not ONE of them would tell me or couldn't tell me and I told them "I'm just looking for a ballpark - I don't want to get a dog if I can't afford to care for it." and they still wouldn't tell me. So much for trying to be responsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Our local Human Society offers a program to have low-cost spaying/neutering to residents of the county. There aren't even any income requirements either, just a few forms and then you get a coupon to take to a local participating vet (there's about 15 in our county that participate, including our regular vet).

It drops the cost down to about $100-150 total. And I agree with Viralmd - if they can't afford a one-time $100 procedure, then they shouldn't be trying to support a dog. That's like 2 bags of food for my dog, so I thought the price was extremely reasonable.
Here the county itself has a voucher program once per year they will submit to different zip codes to get your dog or cat spayed or neutered at no cost. Many rescue organizations have a low cost spay or neuter program as well. In a lot of cases you can call the county dog warden and find out who offers these programs.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 AM

2,407 posts, read 5,150,713 times
Either way... that no-good vet should be reported & banned by new clients.
Whatever the case may be...that is NO reason to have any puppy or any dog put down.
That vet was just a money hungry $*B. He can't be the only vet around there.

I know if someone came in & couldn't afford the vet bill, our vet would work with them.
I know were talking about another country, here.

I know I would put my life down for our dogs. That may sound crazy to some. So I'm crazy about my dogs, what's new. Nobody...but nobody would even dare try to hurt or take or anything, to our dogs. That's a promise.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM

556 posts, read 1,761,318 times
If I read the article correctly - the pup was hit by a car TWO WEEKS before it was brought to this vet. I suspect the vet made the call not to return the dog to this family, knowing they waited 2 weeks to seek medical care, and then couldn't afford to pay for more than $3.50 per week, toward a rather large vet bill. This pup had been injured for two weeks and the family couldn't or didn't seek medical help. Failure to seek medical care for this obviously injured pup could have been a case of animal cruelty in other parts of the world.

I sympathize with families who find themselves faced with unexpected medical expenses like this with their pets - but in all honesty, suggesting this pup be euthanized wasn't such a horrible thing for this vet to do.....considering the pup had endured two weeks of pain to that point - which is enough time that internal healing had started.

In our area, many dogs (and cats) are surrendered to the vet at times like this - where money becomes the reason medical care can't be secured. Most of the vets then will treat the animal, and work to find a rescue group or new owner. Many times, the vet eats 100% of the expense incurred in doing this.....

I think it's easy to criticize the vet and see this young teen as the hero, but for me, there really are two sides to this - and at the end, I'm glad the pup is going to get his surgery and be fine.....but this is good example of why pet owners should have an emergency pet fund and be prepared to seek and pay for, immediate medical care if their pet is seriously injured or ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or