Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a 3 year old mixed breed named Haley. I bought her an elk antler, as someone told me that these are probably the longest lasting chews that you can buy.

I got mine in the mail, probably weighs a pound and is solid as a rock. My problem is, my dog licked it a few times, tried to bite into it, then gave up since it was basically like biting into a rock.

My dog is definitely a chewer and loves bully sticks and small rawhide twists. How can I get her to start on this elk antler? It was expensive and I don't want it to go to waste. Also, are all elk antlers supposed to be rock hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,668 times
The only things I know that like antlers are rodents for sharpening their teeth. Who said antlers were good chews for dogs anyway?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I have heard of people giving their dogs antlers to chew -but I havent tried it.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Yes, if you Google "elk antler dog" you will get tons of sites that sell them. I guess it's pretty popular. I didn't hear about it until last week.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
My dog loves chewing antlers. Yes, they are very hard. Her last antler has lasted her ages. I wouldn't buy elk antler though, as it's bound to be more expensive for pretty much the same thing as a deer antler... You can buy cheap deer antlers on ebay. I paid maybe $5 for a deer antler and she's had it for 6mo-year. And she chews the heck out of it. If not ebay, I find my antlers laying out in the woods or buy them from other shed hunters who have found them out in the field. Many people give their dogs antlers to help train them into shed hunting dogs.

I do think individual dogs have likes/dislikes when it comes to things to chew on. My dog will not chew on rawhide bones. We got her one for Christmas a few years ago and she never touched it. To encourage your dog, I'd maybe rub a bit of her fav. food on one area of the antler... hotdog, roast chicken, or maybe a bit of the gravey from canned dog food. That might entice her to start chewing on it.

*Edited to add: If the size & wieght of the antler are a big factor in her not wanting to chew it, I would definitly try deer antlers... they are typically much lighter & easier for the dog to get it's mouth around.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Many animals eat antlers - even the deer themselves will gnaw on sheds as a valuable source of calcium and minerals.

Antlers are good chews - they're hard, provide hours of chewing and licking pleasure, 100% digestible, they don't smell and they don't break teeth or splinter. The dog will chew and chew, but it only comes away as powder/tiny pieces so there's no risk of impaction.

OP - if you've got a wood saw handy, cut the antler into a few smaller pieces. The inside of the antler is the truly delectable (well, for a dog anyway) bit as that's where the blood supply flows when the antlers are growing. A dog has to work away at the hard outer to get to the yummy inner, so by showing the dog the yummy inner, it may convince her to work for it. (Or she may just insist on cut antler forever! )

P.S. - Use a manual saw, not any type of mechanical/chain saw.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Hi, I have a 3 year old mixed breed named Haley. I bought her an elk antler, as someone told me that these are probably the longest lasting chews that you can buy.

I got mine in the mail, probably weighs a pound and is solid as a rock. My problem is, my dog licked it a few times, tried to bite into it, then gave up since it was basically like biting into a rock.

My dog is definitely a chewer and loves bully sticks and small rawhide twists. How can I get her to start on this elk antler? It was expensive and I don't want it to go to waste. Also, are all elk antlers supposed to be rock hard?
Any kind of antler will be rock hard. Some dogs pick it up and immediately know what to do with it, others are turned off immediately by the sensation that must be very similar to biting a rock. For the chewing to be satisfying, there must be some sort of shearing, shaving, crunching or cracking happening. Antler isn't really a good medium.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 AM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
How about trying a coconut? I once saw a pitbull have an absolute BLAST with one! For any dog that is the least bit compulsive about gnawing or chewing, it'll definitely occupy their time for quite a while. Of course they'd have to be a fairly large dog, and if they have the patience and strength to chew it until it can be opened, they get to enjoy the delicious innards!

Now as I recommend this I do want to add that I do NOT know if coconuts do any harm or wear to dogs' teeth, so please, investigate before trying this out with your pup.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post

Same deal with Artie. He loved the one that what at his friend's house so I bought him one. $15, it was. It arrived. Artie sniffed it. Licked it. Left it. He's like that, though -- interested in his friend's toys, but not so much his.

I'm going to follow FiveHorses' advice and cut it into two or three pieces. Maybe that'll help.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
For the chewing to be satisfying, there must be some sort of shearing, shaving, crunching or cracking happening.
You'd be surprised - plenty of "shaving" (probably the best description for it) happens with an antler. I don't know what colour the commercially available ones are on the outside (brown-ish?) - but it's actually very easy to see where it's being/been gnawed as it will be much whiter. It's the sort of honeycomb that in the inside that dogs want to get to - it seems to have the same appeal as marrow but I can imagine that easily dissuaded chewers might not feel it's worth it.

One thing I will say is I know the commercially available ones have been "sanitised" in some way. I can't help but wonder if some of the taste/appeal is lost in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs