Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

aaaaawww man .... tough for chris... but dashdog is right..... i can not imagine a single person who knows her story that would consider chris a failure..... doing the right thing is the harder thing sometimes and chris should sleep well knowing that she has given kota every possible chance to thrive......

(((HUGGZ))) to all of you......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Is this the Shy Wolf in Naples, FL? If so, they're wonderful. We were given a prairie dog ages ago when I first started working at the sheriff's office there. A co-worker volunteered at SWS a lot and when I told her the poor thing was dumped on us and wasn't real happy that he was stuck in a little cage, she talked to them and they took him in. Gave him a nice big habitat that he should have had from the start. They used him in educational programs as to why people shouldn't take on exotic pets without doing their homework. Very wonderful and knowledgable people.

Sorry it's turned out this way, but Chris can console herself in the fact that she saved Kota's life. Perhaps this is how it was meant to be all along.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine having to part with Kota!
However, it sounds as if the sanctuary may at least be worth a try. If it doesn't work, then Chris can always take her back (I hope).
Obviously, Chris did not fail. She saved Kota's life. Even if Kota has to go and live at the sanctuary, she wouldn't even be going to the sanctuary if it weren't for Chris. It sounds as if Chris has done what she was supposed to do for Kota, and now it's time for someone else to help Kota out.
And at least the sanctuary is not dubious in any way and Chris knows that Kota will be well cared for.
Best of luck to Chris and Kota. I can't wait to hear a new story about Chris and another life she has saved.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
You guys are truly the best! I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out. I'm sending all of your posts onto Chris. I keep telling her, she did all that she possibly could...but I'm only her Mom! Maybe it'll sink in if she hears it from others!
Dash...thanks so much....I had to giggle at the end of your post. The visual of a little rolly polly raccoon sitting on Oprah's couch discussing weight, just brought smiles! Thanks...I really needed that!!!!!!!!
Mrs. 1885.....Yes...this in Shy Wolf Sanctuary in Naples. A good 2 hrs from Chris...where as it may be a good thing. Chris won't be able to high tail it over there on every whim. I know she will dieing to visit! Good to know that you give them a glowing recommendation. I know Chris had done her homework when researching them...but that will make her feel better ( I hope!)
Starla...Thanks....You may just hear other stories...Chris has this affinity for...more like a magnet...that animals in need just seem to find her. I swear she works to support her animals.
LTTP: Sending those hugs on....Lord knows the kid could use them. Thank you ever so much.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
So sorry for all of you but I think this sounds like what Kota needs. Chis absolutely did all she could for Kota and loves her - it's so hard to let go even though we know we must. Hugs.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I am so sorry. As I read this song was playing in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWOrI0WaLs

Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am so sorry. As I read this song was playing in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWOrI0WaLs
Okay the tears......but ya know....I was thinking the same earlier this afternoon. Kota had such a rough start, literally thrown to the side of the road like garbage. We can only help this move brings her the happiness her "wildside" is craving for. Updates will be coming, I promise.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
What a difficult decision for your daughter...my heart goes out to her. She most certainly did not fail - it seems Kota's DNA is telling her she needs to be with her fellow wolves. I truly hope she finds her place at the sancutary and blossoms. Please keep us posted!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Just got off the phone with Chris....mixed emotions are flying!
Chris made it up to Shy Wolf Sanctuary by 8am yesterday. It is a 2 1/2 hr drive from her. She said the people at SW are some of the nicest and understanding people she has ever met. And, at the same time, very professional and knowledgeable.
After putting Kota through an extensive evaluation, they put her into a run, next to two other wolfdogs that were residents of the Sanctuary and known to be non-agressive...but like, Kota, extremely shy. They all bowed and wanted play and Chris said all 3 of their body language suggested nothing but the want to get out and run and romp. So...they let all 3 out into a huge run...and while Kota was nervous with the new surroundings, she sniffed the other 2 and immeadiately rolled over. The other 2 rolled over and all 3 were doing the wiggle dance on the ground! Chris said, all of a sudden one jumps up...the other 2 followed and they just ran and played. Kota still keeping an eye on Chris (for support) and the other workers (fear of)...but non-the-less played and actually started to relax after an hr.
Woman explained to Chris this is so common in some wolf-dogs. Their ancestry is strong...bond to the like pack...in fear of humans (for survival in the wild). She said the non-eating issue is pure stress, and she has seen it mulitple times.
So....the time came to discuss the process of how them taking Kota would all work out. They would agree to test out Kota and see if she thrived for the next 2 weeks...and if she did, they asked for a $300 donation. Chris, I guess hesitated at that(that's alot of money for her)...and the woman says...ok...come with me. (Now, Chris has spent over 5 hrs there at this point)
She brings her into a back room where they have they have just taken in 2 six week old puppies picked up in dog fighting ring in Miami. These two babies were in the bait pen! Male and female, scratches on them, but not enough for any real damage. No idea where or why the scratches came from, but they def. had not been used for their purpose (yet).
The woman requested Chris take both pups to foster for at least 2 weeks in trade for them taking on Kota. Chris still had to say no...saying she just doesn't have the time for 2 pups right now...After lots of talk...Chris came home with the female to FOSTER...and has named her Jai. But.....she also came home with Kota! She said, it just didn't feel right leaving Kota and bringing home a puppy. Like she was trading her for a newer model or something. So...Chris is suppose to go back on Tues...and bring Kota in..and possibly the puppy. The woman just asked Chris to keep her as long as she could.....and did offer her the dog in exchange for Kota's be accepting into the Sanctuary. Except, I know my kid! She can no more do without a dog, than I can....and I have a feeling Jai the foster may stay. I don't know! I think she has a lot to work out in her head. She was suppose to have the weekend off, work called her in and she brought the pup in last night and will bring her again today to the job. She told them, if your calling me in and I'm doing you a favor...you'll have to work around the puppy!
I have pics...but I need Chris to re-send them...I can only download a thumbnail and she's difficult to see. Chris was told, maybe part Pit or Stafford...and of course, at this point, hard to tell. but she is black and white and of course, adorable.
In the meantime....Kota is terrified of her!!!!!!!!!!!!! Puppy wants to play, and Kota will have nothing to do with her! Runs and hides! Chris said, as much as she wanted to play with the 2 wolfdogs, she won't even look in the pups direction! And Chris said, she is that way with all the dogs they ever meet walking. She certainly was like that with Dylan...Could she possibly know her own kind??????? Certain scent the wolfdogs give off????So....at least we know, Kota would be accepted at SW...for whatever price they can come to terms with.
So...the saga continues.....stay tuned.......

Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Oh my gosh, I cried reading your entire update. Sobbing. First because of the beauty of Kota playing with the other dogs, and because Kota kept her eye on Chris, and then because of how Chris must have felt, and then because of the $300 and all the feelings that went along with that and bringing home a "trade" puppy to foster. I didn't like the last part at all.

If I have mixed feelings, I can't even begin to imagine how you feel, and I definitely can't imagine how Chris feels.

Ok, I took a minute to breathe. If the sanctuary is good for Kota and Chris wants Kota to be there, then the $300 is money she would have spent on Kota anyway (for food and vet, etc...) so the way I see it is that if it's best for Kota, then that's the answer. (Easy to say that half a country away, huh? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs