Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,389,072 times

Advertisements

My dog was put down yesterday at 3:00pm. I can tell you that I loved him more than most people including family members. He was my best friend. He would light up every time he would see me. Almost a 14 year history. I am completely devastated. A part of me died with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
I think a lot of people love their animals/pets more than they love people because people force you to deal with complex social factors and emotions...it's work, it can be inconsistent, you may not get back all you put in, etc.

Animals are just constant adoration. Easy choice.

However, that's not why I love my dogs more than most people. I chose to bring these creatures into my home and vowed to take care of them to the best of my ability. We live and work and play together...we protect each other...day after day. We console and amuse each other. They ARE family. I make no distinction in species (at least in this case...lol).

Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 PM

Very true.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,943,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
My dog was put down yesterday at 3:00pm. I can tell you that I loved him more than most people including family members. He was my best friend. He would light up every time he would see me. Almost a 14 year history. I am completely devastated. A part of me died with him.
so sorry for your terrible loss.... may the many happy memories accumulated in your years together bring you solace and comfort......

Old 11-29-2010, 01:31 PM

Thank you very much. Even while having breakfast it's hard. I always shared my toast with him.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:00 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,799,036 times
Well, I just don't think most of my family members - or most humans, for what it's worth - will ever have the selflessness and kindness my - or anyone else's dogs - do.

Most dogs will be with their keepers through thick or thin, no matter what. Think carefully... If one gets sick, loses a job, has only a stale piece of bread to share... how many people - family, friends - would stick around?

Dogs will always have a happy, friendly face when one comes home every day and will dedicate their lives to their keepers - some to the point of saving the keepers' lives, something that we see on the news every day. How many people would do that?

One can say anything one prefers. I have seen people abandoning dogs for a vacation ("oh, it is just a dog" ), and for the life of me there are people in this world I will never understand.

"Friends and family" who think like this, honestly, I would rather not share anything with, especially during the holidays. I would prefer to have a nice meal with my dogs - and my dog-loving friends and family - anytime.

This is my answer: dogs - or any other pets one loves - are most certainly one's family; loving them and being lucky enough to be loved by them, is a plus to anybody.

Last edited by Miaiam; 11-29-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
Quote:
So sorry for your loss and the pain that you are feeling. Time does pass and the deep pain you feel now will subside, leaving only good memories and an unexplainable comfort of his presence until you meet again at the rainbow bridge.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,236,786 times
Talking No choice...dogs rule :-)

Hubby & I are "TOTALLY" in agreement.
Our dogs are our kids. We chose not to have 2 legged kids just so we could have MORE 4 legged kids.
Our dogs always.....always come first... and are loved more than anything on this planet.

That's just us....can't be more honest than that.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,798,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I don't think we are in the minority. Maybe just the minority here on this forum.

I love my dogs dearly. But I would never in a million years compare them to my children.
Sometimes I get the feeling that Dreifus thinks of me as his eldest son. He has had the devils own time getting me trained.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,798,493 times
Quote:
Sorry, I do know the feeling. Years ago I had to have my first GSD put to sleep. The vet came to my house, Dawg put his head in my lap and the vet gave him a shot. This dog was shot twice, he took bullets that were intended for me. When he died in my lap, I think I cried for three days, it was horrible. It took me almost ten years to get another GSD, Dreifus is 10, very active. I try to cuddle with each of my dogs every day because I know, in time, it will not be an option, and these are the memories I want to hold on to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs