Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times

Advertisements

We have a dog we are thinking about putting into dog shows. She was supposedly "pet quality" but she turned out a lot better than the breeder thought she would! We had her looked over by several people who are judges of the breed and they say she looks very good.
Is it worth doing? Is it too late? - the dog is a year old now. Can you give me some tips on what to expect when we show? I am currently doing conformation classes now. And the dog seems to enjoy them. The people in the class have alternated between nice and helpful and snobby. The teachers have been very helpful though.
and there are a few local and regional shows around.
I also think my kids would like to do junior showmanship at some point with the dog. Is this a waste of time do you think? How expensive is it? It is not a breed with a high maintenance coat or anything.
thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
We have a dog we are thinking about putting into dog shows. She was supposedly "pet quality" but she turned out a lot better than the breeder thought she would! We had her looked over by several people who are judges of the breed and they say she looks very good.
Is it worth doing? Is it too late? - the dog is a year old now. Can you give me some tips on what to expect when we show? I am currently doing conformation classes now. And the dog seems to enjoy them. The people in the class have alternated between nice and helpful and snobby. The teachers have been very helpful though.
and there are a few local and regional shows around.
I also think my kids would like to do junior showmanship at some point with the dog. Is this a waste of time do you think? How expensive is it? It is not a breed with a high maintenance coat or anything.
thanks for your help.

First of all, what are your expectations? Is it something you're wanting to do just to get the kids involved in an activity with the pet? Is it something you're looking to try to make money off of? Are you wanting to earn some points so later on you can get into breeding? Why you want to show is going to have a lot to do with the answers you'll get it.

Is it too late? No. You've got a conformation trainer and that's a great start. And local shows are the perfect place to start. I love the thought of kids doing the junior shows; anything that gets them involved in animals is wonderful.

It's only a waste of time based on what you're long term goal or expectation may be. If your goal is to be a national champion and you'll accept no less, than I'd say most likely you'll wind up disappointed. If you're just looking for an activity that will allow you to spend time with, and bond with your dog, I don't think that's a waste of time at all.

As for the expense, the more involved you get the more expensive it gets. The bigger shows, the bigger the fees.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
I show for enjoyment. If you are showing to make money, forget it. It can be very expensive to show, if you are out to be top dog. In that case, since you aren't experienced yet, you would be looking at paying handlers, show entries, traveling expenses. On the other hand, if it's for sheer enjoyment, it is only as expensive as you let it be. I only show when I have the funds. I have also learned a lot about grooming and caring for dogs by learning to do it myself. Many people are willing to teach if you are really into it for the fun and truely love your dog. Don't believe anyone if they tell you you must have a handler. Half the fun is learning and being in the ring. Maybe not at first, but you can go to the top as a owner handler, It may take years, but look at the memories you'll make. Great family fun.It is a great experience for children too. Junior handling teaches them so much. I have finished only 5 dogs, but found it to be so much fun over the years. I tend to avoid the negative people that are so competitive that they forget they are dealing with a living breathing animal. Those will only drag you down. They like to make others feel bad, thereby taking any inkling of fun out of it. The best advice I can give is do it as long as it's fun. Have a blast!! Sorry about the rambling!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM

18 posts, read 32,446 times
The junior handler experience will be great for your kids.

As for the snobs, ignore them.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Talk to a CPA. Set this up as a business. You can write all the costs off.

Bear was sold to us for $100. He turned out to be good at field trails so we showed him enough to finish.

As far as the snobs, if they hate you, you are doing something right!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
This website is a great resource for all things Show: http://www.thedogpress.com/

THE DOG PLACE, THE OLDEST, LARGEST, MOST AUTHORITATIVE INFORMATION FOR PET OWNERS & DOG SHOW ENTHUSIASTS

Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the link. It is mostly for fun, as the breeder we got her from - her dogs are definitely more "champion quality" than ours. Our dog has "champion lines" for sure though. We will likely not breed her - I would leave that to really experienced breeders (like the one we purchased from). Although we were told by judges that our dog has the "old fashioned" look for the breed - which certain judges prefer.
the one woman who was snobby - also had a hound breed - so maybe she was short with me because she viewed us as competition - ours is in the hound group as well. I cannot bear snobs of any kind
We do field trials with her - and as a family we really enjoy that as does the pup! I think my daughter and son would really like the junior shomanship thing.
Thanks for the great responses and the link!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Most everything has been covered...but yes, there are those that are not only snobby...but downright cruel! I showed my Goldens, pre kids...as it can be very time consuming and expensive traveling from show to show. You must make certain amt. of shows in order to earn each leg of your titles.
But...I had one woman, no doubt in my mind, stomp on my Goldens back paw, just minutes before entry into a ring...so he wouldn't walk right...My friend who also showed her Golden, had a man drop (by accident he said) his cigarette on the dog and cinge her fur...making it impossible to go into the ring that day.....It was about that time, that we were ready to start a family and I kept asking myself if I wanted to spend time with people who were that cruel to others and their dogs.
Also...not to put a damper on anything, but saying your dog has championship lines means nothing. Most reputable breeders only have puppies that come from only champion stock. You, yourself stated she was pet quality in another thread....so she may or may not do well....but worth a shot for sure in the Junior shows...and gives the kids a chance to learn what it is all about. As far as breeding...unless you purchased breeding rights from the breeder and it will say on your AKC papers, you can not breed, even if you wanted too. And you wouldn't want to/or should breed a pet quality dog anyways. A reputable breeders way of protecting her line.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:38 PM

The only thing is minor. But we had judges tell me it was no big deal. It would just be for fun and the dog seems to like it. Yes, I can believe that people would do such things... pretty unbelievable stories you have there. Yes, we did sign something we would not breed her, unless the breeder approved and was involved somehow.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Start With Matches!!! Have Fun!! IF you find Confirmation is Not for you...Dont Give Up! Theres Alway Obedience, Agillity, Field Trails, etc Where Looks dont matter & There IS No Snobs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs