U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:34 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,258,366 times

Advertisements

My little guy is going to be 2 next month All of a sudden he's been sleeping a lot more. Do you thinks it's the weather or just him getting older. Maybe it's a combination of both. Where does all that puppy energy go and why can't it last longer.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 05:51 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,427,865 times
My little 8-year-old Cairn terrier (think::Toto from The Wizard of Oz) literally out-plays the 6 month old poodle/Airedale puppy my neighbors now have. He is just full of vitality. He'll get up on the sofa and nap maybe 2-3 times a day, and will sleep for about 30 minutes at a time. I don't put him to bed in his crate until probably around 9:00 p.m., and he's up and at 'em by about 7:00 a.m.

By contrast, our 19-year-old Jack Russell sleeps pretty much 24/7, and is very much the 'little old man.' He still has a good quality of life, though -- likes to go outdoors with us, will show interest in a toy occasionally, and still likes to follow us around the house or yard. But, he does spend probably 45 minutes out of every hour in his bed. After dinner at 5:00 p.m., he is down for the night, save for two outside potty breaks at around 7:00 p.m. and again around 9:00.

The Weimaraner, who is about 6, has just recently started spending more time 'lounging.' He'll walk with me, and the Cairn, about 3x during the day, but like the JRT, is ready for bed early in the evening.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,087,963 times
Depends on the breed and the dog...some breeds mature later, Charlie is a german shepherd mix, he's 6 and he's slowed down in the past couple of years. It varies day to day though. I say he's slowed down, but if we go for a hike through the woods, I'd swear he's a puppy again But if we go for a long mid-day walk, getting him to go out for an evening walk is a struggle! But for Charlie, he'll find the energy if we're in the woods!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your dog unless he's displaying other symptoms, what breed is he?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,278,098 times
Beesley's not a puppy, but he sleeps A LOT. For the first few weeks I had him, he used to wake me up at about 6am (every single day) by barking. Now, he won't make a peep, and I have to wake HIM up to take him outside.

On a week day, he probably sleeps about 18 hours a day. On the weekends, it's more like 10-12 since I'm home to wrestle around with him.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
Porkchop has a sleep/play cycle. He'll play for about 20 minutes, sleep for 10, and so on. When his best friend is over, neither one of them get any sleep, as is the case this weekend. They are 6 and 18 months old, and even the puppy is not interested in sleeping much.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,245,596 times
I bet Louie sleeps about 14 hours a day. He sleeps through the night, about 8-9 hours, and intermittently throughout the day. We take him outside, for a walk or a run in the back yard, and then he'll snooze for a half an hour or so. When there's something going on, though, he has to be in the middle of it and he will not sleep. He was a party animal on Super Bowl Sunday (and this was after going out to the dog run). He slept pretty much all day Monday.

Of our three pets, Louie (15 months old now) is in the middle with regard to sleep habits. My 4-year-old cat Raoul sleeps the least and our 10-year-old cat Mia sleeps the most. Louie is somewhere in between. I did notice that he started sleeping more shortly after his first birthday.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 AM

16,666 posts, read 26,731,689 times
Artie is six. Aside from when I'm sleeping, he never sleeps. If there's a chance that we're going for a walk or that I'll let him out in the backyard, he stays awake -- he wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to go out.

If I'm working on an intense work project or reading a book, he'll take a cat nap, but if I move a fraction of an inch in either situation, he considers that to be "go time" and he's awake and looking at me as if to say, "Yeah? We're going, right? RIGHT? Because I'm ready, ya know!"

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM

324 posts, read 654,228 times
My one dachshund would sleep all day and night. She only plays for maybe 15 minutes a day. But she is snuggly lap kinda dog. Put her in your lap and she's out like a light! Our other dachshund hardly ever sleeps! He loves to play all the time. Or watch out the window! He is 3 1/2 and the sleepy dog is 3.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM

36,594 posts, read 41,876,404 times
Willie doesn't sleep much when we're home and awake. He goes to bed when we go to bed (sleeps at our feet), and doesn't really nap throughout the day if we're home. He may well nap all day in the crate when we're gone at work, I have no idea, but he's awake when we get home.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,754,557 times
Ours sleeps a lot (she is 2) because she is bored. It's too cold for very long walks so she get a few small ones a day. But after dinner she just goes up on the bed and sacks out unless I call her.

She used to tear around, rip up stuff, just get into mischief after dinner but she's stopped that.

She's sleeping A LOT more this winter but I am sure once we have more sun and warmth she will be up till bedtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs