Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times

Advertisements

In December we adopted a female beagle about a year and a half old--she is an absolutely lovely dog. She is very gentle and well behaved....and indeed is house broken just as we were told.....BUT over the last several weeks there has been a problem.

If she comes upstairs and gets on our bed....during day or in the night....she starts digging at the covers and makes a "nest" and then urinates in it before going to sleep. It has happened about 5 times now. It is every time she gets on the bed.

She similarly makes a nest down stairs out of afgans on her favorite chair...but she has never peed there or anywhere else in the house.
These are not accidents....it is very purposive behavior. For now....she is banned from our room.....and that will probably do it. ....But I am sure if she were to go in there tomorrow.....she would do the same thing.....she doesnt seem ashamed of it......it is very matter of fact and then a look like....."do you think I'm pretty.....am I cute enough for you". She is also quite content to lie in the wet bed.....not on the urine...but she doesnt seem adverse to it.

What is this all about. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
1ST a trip to the vet.....make sure she not sick. 2nd Have you changed anything....soap? new family member?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM

She is the new family member. Now the comforter and linens etc on the bed have been washed because she has peed on them....so in the last couple of weeks they have been washed and aired alot.....I am so tired of washing/drying King Size comforters.

I dont think this little girl is sick.....she was at the vet when we got her in december and came to us with a clean bill of health.

Its not as if she has a UTI and is having accidents.....she purposely jumps on our bed and pees on the bedding....I dont know if she is marking it ....because she doesnt usually sleep there and wants to make it hers or what the message is; but it seems to be communicative....not medical. Our other dog usually sleeps on our bed....and this young lady usually sleeps in a chair downstairs. The two dogs get along well and nap together downstairs on the dog bed.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
She most likely has a urinary tract infection. She needs to go to the vet. Urinary tract infections are the single most common reason for a normally-housetrained dog to have accidents. It's EXTREMELY common in females, too.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
If she's only doing it in the one spot, I doubt she has a UTI. It's certainly an odd behavior- most dogs don't want to be in their own messes. If she's not doing it in other places where she sleeps, maybe she'll just have to miss sleeping in your bed.
Also, I don't think ordinary washing gets rid of the smell (on the dog's level) so it's possible she's really got that spot as hers.
If one of my dogs was doing this in one place and one place only, I think he wouldn't be allowed in that place.
In fact, that is already the case with one of my adoptees.
It sounds like a simple fix- if she has a UTI, get treated, and if not, she sleeps where she can contain herself.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Is it the same comforter each time?

Sounds to me like she's nesting and making it her own - marking her territory.

Doesn't sound like UTI behavior in a dog but it couldn't hurt to have her checked.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I wouldn't think it would just be in one spot and not others if it were a UTI. The urge to urinate with a UTI brewing isn't that controllable.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 AM

I am pretty sure its not a UTI for the reasons already mentioned.....It seems to me that she is marking this spot THE BED as "hers"; I have never seen a look of shame or ooops I had an accident....she seems to be happy and ready to settle for the night....(she doesnt lie in the pee spot....she moves up to the pillow end of the bed after doing that ritual.

I think the mystery is that it is the "Parental Bedroom" and this is her bid to say....."I belong and its mine now". She is a recent adoptee and we have been talking about a new one coming....who knows what she knows.

Now dont you know it after posting this thread.....this morning she didnt want to go pee outside.....we walked and walked.....and finally she did #2 but hasnt gone #! yet....what a stubborn little girl.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 AM

50,352 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Wow, elston, this must be very upsetting. She is lucky you are so patient. This is probably why she wound up in a rescue situation. I wonder if your past dog slept on the same comforter and, even after repeated washings, the new dog can still smell her? Beagles have such super sniffers.
I feel sure you will be able to reteach her, and in the mean time I'd keep her off the bed.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Definitely ban her from the room. When we first got our beagle mix, he wanted to spray all along the lower tier of the coffee table every chance he got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs