U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times

Advertisements

My problem child Jazz( the obsessive, possessive, fear aggressive, control freak) has major food issues when it comes to other dogs. I have no problem taking food from her or being around her when she eats but she will attack other dogs. Dash had food aggression issues towards people and dogs when I got him so first I solved his issues with lots of hand feeding and teaching him to see that my hand near his dish meant good things. Next was getting them to accept each other around food which also meant lots of treats . I would have them do obedience things or tricks right next to each other and treat them.If I saw either starting to show the slightest sign of aggression I would give them my correction noise which would signal them that I was not happy and they would back down. Eventually they were both fed in the kitchen at opposite ends of the room. They would both be put in a sit at their spot and the bowls would be put down with a leave it command and then I would give them the release word and they would inhale their food and I never had another incident between them.

Phoenix moving in brought problems as she is a very slow eater and Jazz would attack her to get her food. Phoenix was then fed in the dining room and Jazz and Dash kept out of that room until she was done.

Dazzle also is fed in the dining room but he is some what like a cartoon character as he knows he is faster then Jazz so while he is careful he also knows at her age she can not get him.Before he eats his long skinny nose pokes around the kitchen corner for a sniff to see what she is getting verses what he has in his dish. It is very funny to watch him do it.

When we visit my Dad's Jazz eats in the dining room and Dazzle and Phoenix eat outside so when they see me getting dog food they all go to their places. Dazzle will come stick his nose in via the pet door to take a whiff of what the queen is getting and the last time we visited Phoenix had her nose right in there with his. The two of them will eat out of each other dishes.

There is a strict rule even at my Dad's which is where Phoenix lives now, if there is going to be any plate licking or scraps of food fed to a dog it goes to Queen Jazz. Period. If someone hands one of the other two a piece of food or a plate to lick and Jazz is there there will be a fight unless I am there to catch her at the first sign of attack and I do know her signs well. I can stop her buy catching her switching to an aggessive mode .

When fights have broken out over food they look very vicious and look very rough but no dog or person has ever been hurt and I can stay calm. If a fight does happen and I get Jazz off she will right away rush up into the other dogs face and make sure that they got her message that food is hers and she means business. I have come to view it as just one of those things I must deal with living with the Queen. It sounds difficult but living by the rules prevents fights so at home it tends to be very rare it is at my dads' or if other people are around and THEY break the rules that the fights errupt. So feed them in seperate rooms or even in crates and ALWAYS be careful and on the watch when there is ANY food around. There are always warning signs of an attack about to happen despite there being no growling the signs are there.

I also learned early that if there is a fight I must support Jazz as she is top dog and to scold her and cuddle the other dog ( even though she is the one that attacked) only makes things worse. If I let Jazz be and scold the other one it seems to support her being top dog and the others accept it too. My dad has a hard time with this so he scolded Jazz one time and patted Phoenix in a poor doggie sort of way which made Jazz go right back after Phoenix. When we visit I have to keep my eye on my dad as he just does not get the rules that the Queen lives by
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times
If it was only over food you can keep the dogs together. I have 6 dogs. All females except my little Chi. I put all the food in there dishes and they each have there spot between the front door and diningroom. My one female Amstaff is food aggressive. She stays in a separate part of the house and I feed her alone. I can never have another dog in the same room if I have food out with her. She will go after whatever dog comes anywhere near the food. Long story short. You need to have noooooooooooo food around her when she is with the other dogs. Feed her in her crate and lock the door! I just gave my little deaf one a busy bone for the first time. Well, she took it in the dog crate and was chewing it. My lab mix walked by and she deep growled and snarled. I closed and locked the crate door until she was done. No more busy bones for them.
However, if the fight was not over food that is a whole nother story. You have to watch out and never leave them alone at anytime!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:37 PM

446 posts, read 713,573 times
Gonna knock on wood here, several times. Things seem to be going very well. They're fed in different parts of the kitchen as I have a decent size kitchen and they have enough room so that they don't really notice each other.

Otherwise, no fighting at all...nothing. Just becoming BFF's!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
paws tightly crossed that relations continue to improve.......

Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,727,591 times
I would never feed large dogs together, they are too territorial and can be very vicious as you witnessed. So sorry you were bitten. Do you have a tetanus shot? It also sounds like there is some jealousy going on between the two and some "leader of the pack" issues. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM

446 posts, read 713,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I would never feed large dogs together, they are too territorial and can be very vicious as you witnessed. So sorry you were bitten. Do you have a tetanus shot? It also sounds like there is some jealousy going on between the two and some "leader of the pack" issues. Best of luck to you.

I do have a current Tetanus shot, so, yeah, covered there. There is jealousy between my Aussie that we've had for 4 years now and any other dog on the planet or cat for that matter. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she's been a mama's dog since the day we brought her home. I'm home more than anyone else and I've also always taken more time with the dogs...she and I have grown very close and she reads my emotions better than my bf...LOL Much better actually! Seriously, though, yes...I have a cat that I raised from a kitten, had her almost 10 years now and she's almost as intuitive as my Aussie. She really will look at the cat to make sure her intentions are pure...she's not gonna hurt me and she's not gonna take away any "Zoe time" if Zoe can help it.

It can be a problem as I know she sees me as 'hers'. We're working on this now and she is doing better. If I'm petting the new pup, Zoe will show up more often than not wanting some lovins, too. BUT, she's not growling if the dog or cat gets close to me, etc.

I think the food fight was partly a jealousy issue and a food issue. It's something we're continuing to work on every day. I don't let Zoe totally monopolize my time with them. I admit I will let her in the bathroom with me when I shower and when I'm in the bedroom (which is off limits to the new dog because my cats basically live there for now) I will lay on the bed and snuggle with her, things like that. I can't help how I feel about the dog. She's just my Zoe...she's special to me and I just can't change those feelings. The best I can do is make sure I do the best I can to treat all 3 dogs with love, kindness and patience. That's what I'm doing...just trying my best, ya know?

They still eat totally separated...well, like 10 feet apart which seems to be working well.

Other than getting into trouble, Nova has been adjusting pretty well. She's starting to fit in around here and become part of the family. I do notice she's got a naughty streak a mile long, though. LOL Today she brought me an entire roll of paper towels and dropped them at my feet and began to shred the whole roll! She got them out of a closet that wasn't completely closed...got into the wrap the multi-rolls are in and just got it out, just because...

This is going to be a day by day thing....but I think we'll be ok.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 PM

133 posts, read 246,009 times
I believe i read you got down on the floor.You lost your place of alpha.New dog fed separately.Be the head wolf not one of the pack.Be the smartest wolf. Your pack needs you to be.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM

11,678 posts, read 14,367,559 times
You absolutely need to feed the dogs in separate rooms. 10 feet is not going to keep them from running across the room and attacking, one growl can trigger it. You also need to read up on introducing a new pet into the home. Your newest dog has to find her place in the home - and that is not top dog. You must treat her accordingly (feed her last, greet her last, pet her last, etc).

You should also take both dogs to the vet to be checked over. You'd be surprised at the injuries you can't see. At the vet hospital I worked at there were numerous cases of owners who thought nothing was wrong until their dog or cat started acting sick - and we'd find an abcess hidden from a fight that the owner swore was just a mild scuffle.

You also need to get yourself to a doctor. A tetanus shot won't keep you from getting an infection from the nastiness that is in a dog's mouth.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,290,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
They still eat totally separated...well, like 10 feet apart which seems to be working well.

Other than getting into trouble, Nova has been adjusting pretty well. She's starting to fit in around here and become part of the family. I do notice she's got a naughty streak a mile long, though. LOL Today she brought me an entire roll of paper towels and dropped them at my feet and began to shred the whole roll! She got them out of a closet that wasn't completely closed...got into the wrap the multi-rolls are in and just got it out, just because...

That sounds a lot better. I think you guys will be fine but make sure you don't start trusting the dogs at feeding time before they're ready. It shouldn't ever feel like an experiment, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,727,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
I do have a current Tetanus shot, so, yeah, covered there. There is jealousy between my Aussie that we've had for 4 years now and any other dog on the planet or cat for that matter. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she's been a mama's dog since the day we brought her home. I'm home more than anyone else and I've also always taken more time with the dogs...she and I have grown very close and she reads my emotions better than my bf...LOL Much better actually! Seriously, though, yes...I have a cat that I raised from a kitten, had her almost 10 years now and she's almost as intuitive as my Aussie. She really will look at the cat to make sure her intentions are pure...she's not gonna hurt me and she's not gonna take away any "Zoe time" if Zoe can help it.

It can be a problem as I know she sees me as 'hers'. We're working on this now and she is doing better. If I'm petting the new pup, Zoe will show up more often than not wanting some lovins, too. BUT, she's not growling if the dog or cat gets close to me, etc.

I think the food fight was partly a jealousy issue and a food issue. It's something we're continuing to work on every day. I don't let Zoe totally monopolize my time with them. I admit I will let her in the bathroom with me when I shower and when I'm in the bedroom (which is off limits to the new dog because my cats basically live there for now) I will lay on the bed and snuggle with her, things like that. I can't help how I feel about the dog. She's just my Zoe...she's special to me and I just can't change those feelings. The best I can do is make sure I do the best I can to treat all 3 dogs with love, kindness and patience. That's what I'm doing...just trying my best, ya know?

You definitely have it under control. . Yes our furbabies are jealous creatures. If one hears or see the other getting attention they start chiming in for their part of it lol. We have my MIL's dog with us, a very large border collie, who has never been socialized with other animals. We always keep her and our mixed pit seperated. They both get equal time out with equal attention, same for our little Peke who has a first-hand seat in her large kennel cage which allows for alot of room for her. Needless to say, she is very verbal when one of the other dog's are out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs