Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,396,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The sad fact in our house is that Ringo would much prefer Lucy's Purina over his more expensive TOTW.

I'm trying to switch her to Wellness and she is NOT liking it at all!

Don't these dogs know I'm trying to give them a high quality food????
Well, cheap Chinese food is always the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,590,050 times
Charlie is a big dog (70 lbs) that is finicky...I'm to the point now where I'm mixing peanut butter AND a tiny bit of warm water in with his dry food to get him to eat!

In terms of dogs not wanting to eat the healthy food, it's just like kids not wanting to eat their vegetables! We just have to be firm because we know what's best for them

Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,949,277 times
My pup was on low residue eukanuba when I adopted her and she remains on it. She tolerates it well and has no problems. I don't really see the need to be so picky about what your dog eats as long as he/she is doing well.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,390,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Those of you who are experiencing finicky dogs... are these small breeds? My experience (through others) is that the finicky ones are usually the little guys. I've yet to experience a picky eater in over 40 years of owning big such as Dobes, GSD, Labs and now my Pitty girl.
Yep. Ringo is my biggest, a Westie, who used to eat whatever I put down until he discovered that Lucy was eating that marvelous Purina Puppy Chow. That stuff must be delicious because he MUST have it.

Lucy has no problem eating the Purina .. . but I have to put a little canned Wellness salmon in order for her to eat the Wellness kibble.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 AM

47,871 posts, read 21,887,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
My pup was on low residue eukanuba when I adopted her and she remains on it. She tolerates it well and has no problems. I don't really see the need to be so picky about what your dog eats as long as he/she is doing well.
That is pretty much what my vet said......just watch your dog and see if they seem to be energetic and healthy generally.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
I,too, have never had a picky dog. My 35-pound beagle catahoula mix right now will eat anything, food and nonfood alike.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,949,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That is pretty much what my vet said......just watch your dog and see if they seem to be energetic and healthy generally.
Yeah, I think it's just common sense. I've only had one dog in my life with allergy issues and he had to be put on a lamb diet. Otherwise, I've had great results with whatever food they were on when I adopted them. Changing food so much causes more problems than just being consistent on a mediocre food.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,541,550 times
I think alot of Dogs also learn to be finicky eaters and who teachs them???? Well if you guessed owners you are correct. When I adopted Phoenix it took her forever to start eating but I gave her a set time and if she did not eat she lost the food until the next feeding time. She soon started eating when she was served but first she would sigh and just look at the food for a few minutes take a bite walk away come back look again ( as if something new would appear) try another small bite walk away come back stand and look again repeat tthis a dozen times then finally dive in and eat. She is a very slow eater.

Eighteen months later when she went to live with my parents she pulled the " I can't eat his bit" so my dad put some of his dinner in with hers and she ate it. Soon she would not touch dog food with out human food mixed in...if you just give her dog food she looks at you like "What the heck this is dog food, I am not a dog , I am not going to eat this crap" ( she gets Innova mixed with some canned Merrick brand food) Now that it is just she and my dad it is even worse as he hovers around her and keeps adding things until he gets it just right. Phoenix has him so well trained that it is pitiful..mind you my dad is 85 and lives with just Phoenix and the cat so he tends to spoil them both way too much and they do take advantage of that!

I also have a cowoker that when she got a dog he turned up his nose at dog food so she cooked him steak! Well he trained her and now he gets steak or chicken and if some one DARES to offer him dog food he walks away!

My Dazzle tried to be finicky but he has learned don't eat the food means you go hungry. Jazz and the late Dash were born chow hounds and eat what ever you give them.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
When we first adopted ours, I think he was used to free feeding, and tended to ignore his food when put down, initially. So we started leaving it out for a set time period, and that was it...if he didn't eat, he had to wait. It took only a couple of times before he was eating at mealtime.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM

2,118 posts, read 4,154,383 times
my puppy is such a light eater it worries me. She is ~4 pounds but maybe eats a few bites three X a day from her bowl. I was offering it twice/day but since she has backed off on the quantity I added a mid day meal. She seems healthy and energetic. She is due for another vet appt in aweek so I will see what his scales say. I also started adding a tad bit of canned food to see if this would interest her but nope! I have her on Innova mixed with wellness. I am considering trying Artemis or maybe Instinct which a local pet store recommended highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs