Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 AM

204 posts, read 617,687 times

Advertisements

Corporations love to convince us that what they would like to sell us is superior to what we can come up with on our own. So I've been thinking about commercial dog food. It's convenient. The recording in my head plays, "no table food", just as programmed. I want to question that practice, so how about a discussion on feeding our dogs what we eat, altered as need be. Not a raw diet, just dog meals sort of based on what is being prepared for the humans, taking into account canine nutrition needs...and assuming the humans are eating a healthy diet. Include raw bones for dental care.

We don't eat pellets or bagged nuggets, (although low-carb pasta came close in taste ) and manage our nutritional needs just fine. The current wisdom is to to avoid processed food. Why not dogs, too?

Your thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
We make extra food for our dogs. They eat what we eat. Last night we had pork chops and mashed potatoes. They each got thier own. (no bones)

They have dry food food available 24/7.
At night they get a can of dog food, sometimes they eat it, other times not.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
My dog can have some of what we're eating, given that it's of a nutritous, whole food variety...he doesn't get sweets, or greasy things, or the handful of processed foods we make for ourselves. But veggies, meats, sure. However, he gets them in his bowl, at his feeding time...and at our discretion. Not by begging at the table. When we got him, it was obvious that begging behavior had paid off for him in the past and gotten him table scraps at his discretion. No more. He also eats commercially prepared dog food. His "people food" is a treat when there is extra.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
My dog LOVEs her dog food and just barely likes human food. So why change? It would be kinda
worriesome for me that she was getting a balanced diet with our foods...JMO.

Greenchili

Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
[quote=ShermanJoe;12950682

We don't eat pellets or bagged nuggets

Your thoughts????[/quote]

Sometimes I wish I had that option. A carefully measured portion so I could loose all my extra weight.

It worked for my dog Bay - he was 92 pounds when I got him and now he's a proper 48 pounds.

No more What am I in the mood for? What should I fix for dinner?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
Never a bone for any of ours, not after 2 episodes w/pancreatitis and 2 trips to ER. We learned our lesson, pricey too. Peas, carrots, rice, chicken seem to be very much appreciated. But daily diet is dry food and milkbone for treats. An occasional crust of my toast, bagel or english muffin (the part that isn't buttered) does seem to be a bonus for them. Just scrape the tarter from the teeth to prevent gum disease.

The best thing they love is .... attention! And if it happens to involve people food, well, then it is a jackpot!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Sometimes I wish I had that option. A carefully measured portion so I could loose all my extra weight.

................?
Medical protein is the answer for people! Kind of expensive for a dog.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
I'd rather my dog eat natural, real human food than bagged kibble that's been so processed that the expiration date is 5 years from now! Let's be realistic, even the premium kibbles are heavily processed to meet import requirements (think Orijen, Acana, Ziwi Peak) and to have a longer shelf life. But, it's convenient and most people don't cook for their human kids (or themselves for that matter), never mind pets! I think when we're told to not feed human foods it means food products. Most humans don't eat food, but rather products made to look and taste like foods. Nothing wrong with giving your dog fresh, real food on a regular basis!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 PM

82 posts, read 440,092 times
I cook for my three and add a little kibble as a topping. I wouldn't add the topping but my youngest goes directly to the cupboard begging for kibble after eating his home cooked meal...if that's not a kick in the butt!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
My dog delights in eating garbage, loves nothing more than to try to eat litter people leave in the street on his walks, and we have had to lock our trash up in the basement since he became a part of our household. Pretty sure he's not offended by or going to turn his nose up at commercial kibble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs