U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 PM

124 posts, read 219,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
This is regarding driving through Ohio with the dog: Is it illegal to drive through Ohio with Pit Bulls? - Yahoo! Answers

Pits have not been banned in Ohio as of yet. This is the legislation still being debated and petitioned: Laws, Acts, and Legislation

Here is the Petition Site: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/hb-...o-pit-bull-ban
thank you the yahoo thing read em they never ansered the question ..
I have friends that go to dog pulls passing thru OHIO and said they had to show pappers on the dogs , liability 100,000 , leashed and muzzled

{ crate in the car to be 100 % sure } also that it covers dogos , pit mixes, or "pit looking" the more I dig the more vague it becomes .. ..

the petion is closed ... and started reading the laws ,acts , and legislation
the rottie ban has a close friend kinda spooked about taking her huge lap rottie there to see her mom .. .. Thanks again craig

Ill keep my dog and my gun you can have the bsl. thats catchy huh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 PM

124 posts, read 219,171 times
Quote:
This is regarding driving through Ohio with the dog: Is it illegal to drive through Ohio with Pit Bulls? - Yahoo! Answers

Pits have not been banned in Ohio as of yet. This is the legislation still being debated and petitioned: Laws, Acts, and Legislation

Here is the Petition Site: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/hb-...o-pit-bull-ban
under laws the pit bull part has a line thru it .. that could be a positive thing

Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,673,063 times
bsl is ridiculous - there are lots of good threads with lots of information on the topic on this board. if "pit bulls" (which actually means a couple of different breeds and countless mixes who look a certain way) disappeared from the planet, people who want mean, tough dogs will just move on to another breed, which will become the new devil dog that must be banned.

italy and the netherlands recently reversed longstanding multi-breed bans, because they made absolutely no difference in number or severity of dog bites. denver's pit bull ban, which has been in effect for over 20 years, has made no difference either.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:35 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,447,611 times
Not to go off topic, but there is a no-kill shelter in my county that does not take in pit bulls. They take in other breeds like chows, gsd's, and dobermans, but not pit bulls. I emailed them and asked them why, and the response I got was "board of director rules". For them to take in other so called "dangerous" breeds, but not pit bulls, is in my eyes bsl too. I could understand if they were a specific breed rescue, or small dogs only, but they're not.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,447,611 times
And here's a link I send to people who are for banning.
The Truth About Pitbulls

Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,728,337 times
Quote:

I am originally from Ohio. We were in Ohio temporarily last year. We have a mixed pit. The law states you must have $100,000 insurance, a 6 foot fence and when the dog is in public, it must be muzzled and on a leash. This law is being enforced. I had concerns while we were there with our dog being in the car and she was always walked with a leash, but nonetheless it concerned me.

Last year there was a guy living in Lakewood, Ohio who had just returned home from the service (this was a story in the Cleveland Plain Dealer); he was spotted walking his pit down the street and a cop stopped, called the animal shelter officials and the dog was confiscated on the spot. I don't know if he ever got the dog back, I didn't see any follow-up stories. From what I understand Lakewood has 0 tolerance for pits.

So yes, if you are going to a State where a certain breed is banned, be very cautious. I left Ohio 9-years ago and even back then the Animal Protective League in Cleveland stopped selling them; if they were turned in or picked up on the street they were euthanized.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM
miu

17,102 posts, read 34,528,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solow View Post
thank you the yahoo thing read em they never ansered the question ..
I have friends that go to dog pulls passing thru OHIO and said they had to show pappers on the dogs , liability 100,000 , leashed and muzzled

{ crate in the car to be 100 % sure } also that it covers dogos , pit mixes, or "pit looking" the more I dig the more vague it becomes .. ..

the petion is closed ... and started reading the laws ,acts , and legislation
the rottie ban has a close friend kinda spooked about taking her huge lap rottie there to see her mom .. .. Thanks again craig

Ill keep my dog and my gun you can have the bsl. thats catchy huh..
It seems to me that if one is on a road trip, crating the dogs is best for any traveling dog. That said, sometimes I crate my dogs, sometimes I don't. But if the dog is crated, there is much less chance of the dog getting loose by accident in a strange local.

And having copies of the dog's paperwork in the car is also a smart idea. And pictures of the dog, in case it gets loose. It's like traveling with small children.

Anyway, I don't believe that any police officer is going to go out of their way to check on every car or truck that has a dog or dogs in it. So I don't think that there's any reason to be paranoid when traveling.

I imagine if someone gets pulled over for poor driving, they are acting suspicious, and if the officer suspect illegal activity if the car's occupants are on their way to a dog fight, then at least the officers have reason to confiscate the dogs. So just don't act shady, and have your dogs trained to be well behaved. Your dogs passing that good canine citizens test would also be a good idea.

I agree that small yappy snarling dogs are obnoxious, but at least I have no fears that I couldn't deal with them properly and stop them from biting me. Or even if bitten, a small dog isn't going to do me any real damage... I tend to live in my blue jeans and hiking boots. But a larger hostile dog would cause me to worry.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM

260 posts, read 501,348 times
Pet Pit Bull - Breed-specific Legislation

DOG BITE LAW - Breed Specific Laws

Stop Animal Rights - Breed Banning

Pit Bull Rescue Central

Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
BSL is a result of stupid and ignorant people trying to control a situation that they know NOTHING about..... ie: bad owners creating bad dogs....... if they had the slightest clue of the reality of these dogs, this issue wouldn't even be an issue.......

Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,004,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solow View Post
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
ALL BARK, NO BITE, COSTS IN THE MILLIONS
New research exposes high taxpayer cost to ban pit bulls
Breed-discriminatory legislation that targets pit bull-type dogs is an expensive waste of tax dollars,
according to an economic study commissioned by Best Friends Animal Society. The Utah-based
national animal welfare organization has worked with American pit bull terriers for many years and in
the past two years has been working to rehabilitate dogs from the Michael Vick dog fighting case.
The study, completed by John Dunham and Associates and based on data from a variety of sources
including the Federal government, serves as core information for a new online “Fiscal Impact
Calculator” that Best Friends says will help state and local governmental entities calculate the true
cost of implementing and enforcing breed-discriminatory laws. Such laws exist in approximately 300
different U.S. communities and involve regulating or banning certain breeds of dogs based solely on
their lineage with no regard to the animal’s behavior or temperament.
Bottom line finding: It would cost governmental entities in excess of $450 million to enforce a
nationwide ban on pit bulls, which would include costs of enforcement, kenneling and veterinary care,
euthanizing and disposal, litigation and DNA testing.
Among the other key findings of the study: There are approximately 72.1 million dogs in the United
States, of which approximately five million (6.9 percent) can be described as pit bulls or pit bull mixes
based solely on their appearance.
“Pit bull bans are enormously expensive and ineffective,” said Ledy VanKavage, an attorney with
Utah-based Best Friends. “And if breed discriminatory ordinances are passed, people who love their
pets will fight the government’s arbitrary identification of their dog, making them even more difficult to
enforce.
“Many people view this as a property rights issue—‘as long as I’m a responsible dog owner, I should
be allowed to have whatever breed of dog I choose.’ The key here is being responsible. Reckless or
negligent owners should be prevented from owning any breed of dog.”
I completely agree that BSL is pointless. However, there really needs to be an impartial study done on the economic ramifications vs effectiveness of BSL legislation. Maybe people already have, I don't know. Best Friends is a wonderful organization from what I've seen but they aren't impartial in any stretch of the word and their facts probably aren't going to sway any local politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or