Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times

Advertisements

Cody is around 3 or 4 and as he gets older he is getting kinda bossy.

He's perfect with our daughter and careful around her but he pulls on my pant legs at least once a day. barks on walks no matter what I do(we've tried all different haltis/leads and actions). It doesn't matter how much energy we get out of him ..he's got more. He's not agressive once he's playing with or greeting the dog ...its the walking towards us that causes problems.

He's also crazy barky at the door. I've been putting him on a leash half the day so if someone knocks I can grab the leash and usually he behaves with the leash at the door. I might be slowly winning this one.

....I am aware of the possibility that he is getting protective on walks because we have the baby with us most of the time ....seriously, the barking drives me insane.

....he's special. he's a pound dog and sensitive sometimes. We've done training and everything else. We work hard to work his brain and body.(he's a aussie,sheltie,bordercollie type. 17 lbs) I like walking him but its almost becoming a burden. He's allowed to play in and outside all day. We are outside with him most of the day.
*do I drop the walks?* ....getting ride of him isn't an option!!!!!! ...just a heads up!

.....I know someone else must have a overly smart active breed out there. how do you control the energy on walks and when they get excited? Alot of you know me on here. I have worked very hard with this dog and love him to bits!

....I'm convinced dogs are harder to raise then toddlers ....or I have a easy toddler.

Thanks

Last edited by kelly3120; 02-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
hmmmm Maybe leaving him home would be the answer. Have you considered Agility?? Most Border Collie owners & their dogs seem much happier & more settled when they do Agility. These dogs are almost Impossible to wear out LOL

Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Ooh,I feel for ya! I have a Boxer and thought she was energetic,but reading this,she's a downright slug I guess. LOL. Hope you can get a routine worked out.How about bike riding with him,jogging with him or treadmill. Agility sounds good too. Good luck!

Greenchili

Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM

thanks guys!

Glad its not just me that sees this as insane doggie behavior.
tried agility. he's not that interested but good idea. Maybe we will give it another try. he'd rather chase and play.
I have taught him to put laundry away, close doors, touch things,etc. he's brilliant!

Katie, I am leaning towards leaving him home on walks. what a bummer!

Green, ...bike rides, roller blades and such consist of him trying to bite the tires(anything moving!!!). I tired that many times slowly and working him into it. At the moment I am limited as I am 7 months pregnant. I can walk forever but all running and biking is out.

...I let him run on my parents farm a few time a week and let him round up the chickens. He's amazing as he turns from dork to dog when he's herding them. If one gets away he moves in and gets them back together. Its beautiful! .....after the 30 mins drive home he's ready to go again. I almost wonder if it is a nervous energy thing. my hub and mom both have commented that when they are watching the baby and I'm not home he's less active. is dork-face protecting me? lol

...today I walked him a little in the middle of the day and wouldn't move unless he stopped pulling. Took forever! lol

Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM

here is the monster playing with the baby
Attached Thumbnails
cody is borderline nuts ;)-dscf2869.jpg  

Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
First order of business would be basic obedience classes. Find a trainer who uses ONLY positive methods (no 'corrections' with yanks on the leash, no yelling at the dog, no pushing the dog into position and no alpha rolls). Interview all trainers carefully. Classes are FUN! You'll bond with you dog as you never thought possible.

Get a head start and take a look at Pat Miller's wonderful book, 'The Power of Positive Dog Training.'

Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Border collies and similar breeds and mixes are working dogs by breeding and temperament. Exercise is extremely important to their overall well-being, so try not give up daily exercise. Their energy is almost inexhaustible. However, exercise isn't enough. These are intelligent working dogs with a high drive that can border on obsession, and they need mental exercise as well as physical exercise. They need a "job." Without proper training they don't learn to focus their energy in a constructive way and that's when they start to exhibit behavior problems. That's why so many herding dogs end up in shelters and rescue at about a year old. They become too much for their owners. As Cody grows older he'll probably mellow out a bit, but the very attributes that make these dogs so effective at the jobs they're bred to do can make them difficult to manage in a home situation.

(Have you considered that the pulling on your pants and the barking could be attempts to "herd" you?)

Can you train him to be quiet by rewarding him when he doesn't bark? Can you find a way to distract him when his behavior is unacceptable and then reward him for the alternative behavior? Perhaps train him to sit on a mat when someone comes to the door, or go fetch a toy and bring it to you. Anything to displace the barking with something else.

Viralmd's suggestion is right on. Cody needs the structure of formal training. Is there an Aussie/Border collie rescue group in your area? If so, contact them. I'm sure they could steer you to trainers that are experienced in handling herding breeds and could help suggest activities that would help both you and Cody. You have a special dog, and it's wonderful to hear how committed you are to working with him. That makes you kind of special too, in my opinion!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
When he pulls on your pants Have you tried to follow him....see what is going on? IS it the same time of day? IS the baby taking a nap & he just wants you to come play with him?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 AM

you know what Katie! I'm gonna pay more attention today and see if there is a reason behind it. Usually its in a moment when Im not holding the kid and busy. I'll slow down and see if there is a reason. He does have problems if the family is in different parts of the house. When we moved the baby out of our room he slept in the kitchen(between the bedrooms) until he got use to the idea of her being away from us. He doesn't sleep and paces if she spends the night at my moms

not being bratty ..... he's been trained ....agility,tricks and basic training. They call him codeine because he's so off the wall sometimes(he'd never harm anyone but there is not an off button). he's like a add child lol. he doesn't go through doors w/o a ok, comes when called, shuts doors, laundry in hamper, brings me baby diapers(clean ones), picks up toys, etc ...shares toys w/ the baby ....he brings it and lays down and she throws it. He's trained and we work him as much as one can. Trainers all think he's brilliant but he triggers on silly things and doesn't easily shut down. ....now we didn't go over "dog pulling on leg while walking" while in training. I know its a herding thing.
I'm mostly trying to figure out a way to continue walks. I know as much as I could find out about his background and possible breeds.
I want to know how others have continued these walks w/ dogs that bark at other dogs as they approach. I've heard this is a semi common problem.

He likes treats on walks until he sees a dog he would rather bark at. he was perfect in training classes unless the energy was brought up by another dog. maybe its a insecurity thing. he plays w/ 5-6 dogs at my moms so he's social ....but he's off leash during play. ....maybe its a leash thing?
Thanks everyone!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Try reading "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell. It deals specifically with reactive dogs and leash-walking. McConnell is a world-renowned, credentialed behaviorist and she's very good. She also owns and works herding dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs