U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,401,879 times

Advertisements

Can a 19-year-old dog be safely de-wormed?

About two weeks ago, I grossed-myself-out when I reached into the dog biscuit jar, and stuck my hand into some web-like material, and then, upon closer inspection, saw some small white larvae crawling among the biscuits. They went into the trash, the jar was washed thoroughly, and dried.

Today, picking up after 'my little old man,' I noticed two of those wormlike things in his stool. I suppose this necessitates a trip to the vet, but can a dog his age survive de-worming? He is in otherwise good health. I describe him as a JRT, but I think he's the Parson Russell variety. The vet I trust with him no longer subjects him to tests (he suffered a stroke back in May) nor does he get vaccinations now.

Thanks much, in advance, for any advice, tips, or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,864,492 times
If you can, collect a stool sample to show the vet. It will help if the vet knows exactly what he's dealing with.

If the doggie ingested some worms or larvae that were living in the biscuits, he may not need deworming as the worms/larvae that live in biscuits are going to be very different than the ones living in intestinal tracts. It could well be that he did ingest some and they passed right through him, hence why you found them having come out the other end.

But sure, there are different active ingredients available for different situations - some being more gentle on the system than others. You're vet will be able to advise.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,401,879 times
Why do some things just never occur to us?

I have the stool sample in a baggie in the trash. I'll retrieve it, and carry it over to him. Thank you. The worms in the stool look exactly like what was in the treat jar -- I did notice that, FiveHorses.

The stool sample is a good start. Duh.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Well...... it's only Tuesday.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,495,995 times
My puppies are due for their second dose of de-worming medicine in two days. The vet sent me home with two syringes for each of the dogs and said to give them two weeks apart.

My question is, my boy puppy, Snickers, has thrived. He is growing leaps and bounds. Girl puppy, Frenchy, is smaller, but also has a lot of baby fat compared to him. She's got a rounder body frame.

Is this due to still having worms do you suppose or is she just a chubette?

What's everyones experience with de-worming? They had roundworms. Also, I did have to work for a week to break them from the habit of searching the yard for dog feces I might have missed picking up! YUCK! Can't say pulling dog pooh out of a puppy's mouth is fun!!! lol

Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,113,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
What's everyones experience with de-worming? They had roundworms. Also, I did have to work for a week to break them from the habit of searching the yard for dog feces I might have missed picking up! YUCK! Can't say pulling dog pooh out of a puppy's mouth is fun!!! lol
Eww! LOL

In my experience dewormers usually do a pretty good job on roundworms. But there's always the possibility that the little girl re-infected herself. If you're concerned it might be worthwhile to take in a stool sample to have vet's office look for more eggs.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
is she just a chubette?
Or, as my grandmother would say, she's just "juicy".

Do you know what was in the syringes - i.e. brand name or active ingredient?

Is it an all-over juicy-ness or just a roly-poly round the middle? Truly wormy pups are relatively easy to spot as they get the same distended belly that malnourished children do. They can also be anemic, so membranes that should be a nice healthy bubble-gum pink, are pale pink/grey-ish.

Given she has a doting owner who's cleaning up the yard and she's been dewormed at least once, at a guess I'd go with she's just built a bit stockier than the male. (We have a "chunky monkey" - a cat who isn't overweight, but even his legs and his paws are just... well, chunky. )

Routine worming is just a non-event really. Some dogs can experience softened stools once or twice afterwards because of the meds, but some don't.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:29 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,495,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Or, as my grandmother would say, she's just "juicy".

Do you know what was in the syringes - i.e. brand name or active ingredient?

Is it an all-over juicy-ness or just a roly-poly round the middle? Truly wormy pups are relatively easy to spot as they get the same distended belly that malnourished children do. They can also be anemic, so membranes that should be a nice healthy bubble-gum pink, are pale pink/grey-ish.

Given she has a doting owner who's cleaning up the yard and she's been dewormed at least once, at a guess I'd go with she's just built a bit stockier than the male. (We have a "chunky monkey" - a cat who isn't overweight, but even his legs and his paws are just... well, chunky. )

Routine worming is just a non-event really. Some dogs can experience softened stools once or twice afterwards because of the meds, but some don't.
lol... I would say he's thin, she's a little chunky, which is what I was calling her when I first saw the litter. She attached herself to my old Corgi, ignoring the rest of the litter and her mama. She was destined to be my baby. I was going to just call her Chunky as a name, but decided that wouldn't be appropriate for a diva! The PetSmart trainer suggested that candy bar Ferrer Rocher (sp), but that was too foo-fooey... so with lots of laughter, her name evolved to Frenchy!

I don't know what the brand of dewormer is, he didn't tell me. It's mixed up in a syringe and has a strong banana aroma and is yellow. I don't know if they all have that taste and smell or if that might tell you what brand it is. They get their second dose today.

I guess I will just have their stools tested again next week when they go for their third round of shots. If they need an occasional deworming, that's not the end of the world.

*At least I haven't had to dig poop out of their mouths for the last 6 days! lol

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
I just added a post called "Bad Missouri Breeder/Broker. Please read. I would strongly suggest that your vet monitor the parasite situation.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM

257 posts, read 466,988 times
Your vet will probably retest the Fecal when they get their boosters since they had worms. Ours does.....just to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs