Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 PM

212 posts, read 791,630 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can find a Bassest Hound stud to breed with my sweet Daisy May?

LORI

Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
To answer your question, I'd have no clue. Just curious as to if this is this first time you've bred?

Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Well I think you should post a picture of your Miss May so we can all see how cute she is...

My Mom has a cat named Daisy May and thats what I have always called her, Miss May.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 PM

Yes, it will be the first time to bred her. She was such a cute puppy and I know she will make even cute babies. I will find a picture of her and post it. We call her dizzy. I didn't realize that so many people had pets named Daisy May until we had her papers put in that name.
LORI

Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 AM

153 posts, read 937,521 times
I hate to rain on your parade here, but have you really given this a lot of thought first? I'm sure your dog is adorable and very sweet, but that isn't a good reason to breed her.

Shelters are full of puppies that were the products of cute and sweet dogs. Millions of animals are killed every year because people refuse to spay and neuter and want "just one litter" or want to "make some extra money". Just one litter may not seem like a lot, and I'm sure you may think it'll be easy to find homes for the puppies, perhaps you already have friends lined up to take one. But once the little bundles of joy are born most of the people who wanted a puppy before will back out.

You'll be lucky to sell one or two pups, and be left with the rest. And that's if the puppies and mother even survive the birth. If you don't have experience in breeding how will you know if your girl is having trouble? Do you have over a thousand dollars saved up just in case she needs a C-section? Those vet bills add up very fast if momma has any trouble, and some females DO have trouble.

The vet bills just keep coming after the pups are born for shots, check ups, food, etc. etc.

Breeding shouldn't be done just for the heck of it. It should be done to better the breed, by people who are experienced and only with purebred, champion dogs. Not to mention that there are a multitude of health tests that need to be done on both parents before you breed.

Do you have the fund available to test hips, eyes, elbows, heart and whatever else is required in your breed? On both parents? It's not cheap. But it has to be done. What if your dog, or the male has a health defect that could be passed along to the puppies? Every puppy deserves a healthy start and a long and pain free life. Not testing the parents beforehand puts those puppies at risk of an painful and early death should they inherit any health problems.

You won't know if your breeding pair are healthy enough to breed untill you get them tested. Just have healthy looking dogs is not enough, getting a check up on them is not enough. Specific tests need to be done. That's assuming you have shown your dogs and they are good reprententives of their breed.

Again, I'm not trying to pick on you. I know how allureing the idea of puppies can be. But please think about this, and try to do the responsible thing.

If you are truly interested in becoming a responsible breeder then contact your local Basset hound club and talk to them about it. They may be able to pair you up with a mentor that can show you the ins and outs of responsible breeding.

Instead of producing more puppies yourself right now, how about going to the shelter and rescuing a puppy instead? You get all of the benefits of having a cute puppy, plus you can save a life, and you won't be contributing to the pet overpopulation problem.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:25 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
CoffeeAddict, what an excellent response! I hope this person really takes everything you said to heart. There is so much more to breeding a litter of pups than most people realize, and it can be very expensive.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 AM

CA, thank you for your concern. I knew as soon as I posted that I would get a response such as yours. I appreciate your concern. Let me just say that before we decide to go forward with breeding her we did take her to the vet to be checked out. We have had her x-rayed for hip displaysha, as well as tested for other aliments. On a more personal note, I just lost a pregnancy and I feel that this would be a very healling experience. Having animals have always been cheeper than therapy. Just know I want to be rsponsible about this. If she had 12 puppies and no one wanted them I would love to have her whole family here.
LORI

Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
CA, thank you for your concern. I knew as soon as I posted that I would get a response such as yours. I appreciate your concern. Let me just say that before we decide to go forward with breeding her we did take her to the vet to be checked out. We have had her x-rayed for hip displaysha, as well as tested for other aliments. On a more personal note, I just lost a pregnancy and I feel that this would be a very healling experience. Having animals have always been cheeper than therapy. Just know I want to be rsponsible about this. If she had 12 puppies and no one wanted them I would love to have her whole family here.
LORI
Here are the responsible breeding recommendations from the parent club's (Basset Club Hound of America) webpage:

"BHCA encourages responsible breeding through screening for the more common genetic disorders known to affect Basset Hounds. BHCA believes that the following tests yield useful information that may assist responsible breeders in their selection of Basset Hounds to be used for breeding:

- Gonioscopy (examination of the iridocorneal angle of the eye for abnormalities which may predispose the eye to the development of glaucoma) and eye examination, performed by a veterinary ophthalmologist, resulting in eligibility for Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF) registration.

- Thrombopathia genetic testing is available through Dr. Mary Boudreaux's laboratory at Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine.

- von Willebrand’s factor antigen testing.

- Thyroid testing, to include at least a full thyroid panel.

- Radiographs (x-rays) of hips and elbows with evaluation by a recognized registry, e.g. Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), PennHip, Institute for Genetic Disease Control in Animals (GDC), Ontario Veterinary College (OVC).

- Temperament evaluation, as evidenced by Puppy Aptitude Testing or American Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) certification.

Breeders have a responsibility to research and understand genetics and common breed health problems. BHCA strongly discourages the use in a breeding program of any Basset Hound known to be seriously affected by any genetic disorder. Breeders are strongly encouraged to: (a) exchange screening results when planning matings; and (b) discuss breed health issues with puppy buyers, providing full disclosure on puppies offered for sale."

Here is a link to breeders who are members of the BCHA, perhaps you could contact one in your area to discuss your girl in more detail:

Basset Hound Club of America (http://www.basset-bhca.org/Member_Info/Roster/roster1.htm - broken link)

Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
LORI
Lori, while I'm sorry for your loss, it's not the soundest reason to breed your dog. None of us can tell you what to do, but your pain and void is not going to be healed by breeding your dog. Breeding for the betterment of the breed is the best reason to breed and place other well bred dogs out there. Perhaps you're needing to feed a maternal feeling, how about rescuing another Basset that is in need of a loving and understanding home?

I'm not trying to give you any flack for your post and I am truly sorry for your loss, that's not an easy thing. But imagine going through that process and not being able to talk about it; dogs have had miscarriages and false pregnancies.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
My friend, who owned a farm back in Ireland bred labs there. And once told me, "If a back garden breeder makes a huge profit off a puppies hes doing it wrong"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs