U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 AM

16,627 posts, read 26,544,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
she loves to eat...(not sure where she gets that ....)
Don't worry -- I"m pretty sure she gets it from ME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,487,894 times
my dogs not picky! we leave the food down and if he doesn't eat it we pick it up and he deals until the next feeding time. ...I'm sure it helps that the baby gives him her leftovers ;P

Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 PM

4,695 posts, read 10,094,055 times
I will have to try the Stella & Chewy's trick with Phoenix later this week when I drop my dogs off at my dad's house and take off for Reno for a couple days.

Though it is entertaining to watch my dad fine tune her food to get her to eat.

I guess I have been blessed with chow hounds as that time Dash would not eat I knew right away that he was very sick and the vet listened to me rather then " Oh he just did not eat breakfast give him an day or two and call back if he still is not eating" Everyone knew if Dash turned his nose up at food something was very wrong. That time it was a bladder infection and stones and he would probably have become septic in the next few hours if I had not taken him in as the vet said he was very sick when we arrived. He spent several days at the vets and ended up having surgery to remove the stones. He had been fine the evening before but that morning was lethargic and would not even sniff the food, right away I knew with out a doubt he had to get to the vets . It was the first time he ever had gotten sick too.

I imagine had he been a dog that turns up his nose at food I may have just thought he was pouting about the food and not called the vet and he would have gotten septic so yes I feel blessed to have dogs that are chow hounds and live for food it makes live easier that is for sure.

I will let you know if the Stella & Chewy's trick works with Phoenix.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I will have to try the Stella & Chewy's trick with Phoenix later this week when I drop my dogs off at my dad's house and take off for Reno for a couple days.

Though it is entertaining to watch my dad fine tune her food to get her to eat.

I guess I have been blessed with chow hounds as that time Dash would not eat I knew right away that he was very sick and the vet listened to me rather then " Oh he just did not eat breakfast give him an day or two and call back if he still is not eating" Everyone knew if Dash turned his nose up at food something was very wrong. That time it was a bladder infection and stones and he would probably have become septic in the next few hours if I had not taken him in as the vet said he was very sick when we arrived. He spent several days at the vets and ended up having surgery to remove the stones. He had been fine the evening before but that morning was lethargic and would not even sniff the food, right away I knew with out a doubt he had to get to the vets . It was the first time he ever had gotten sick too.

I imagine had he been a dog that turns up his nose at food I may have just thought he was pouting about the food and not called the vet and he would have gotten septic so yes I feel blessed to have dogs that are chow hounds and live for food it makes live easier that is for sure.

I will let you know if the Stella & Chewy's trick works with Phoenix.
It's definitely a good thing to know when your dogs are not feeling up to snuff, in some way or another, and not eating -- if that's a tell-tale sign -- is as good as any, given that they can't speak.

I can't imagine that Phoenix is not going to like this stuff. If Artie is going nuts for it, I can't imagine any dog not liking it. Artie likes the lamb, but I highly suggest the duck -- it's easier to break up and Artie loooooves the duck.

This morning I was upstairs and I heard this light banging coming from the kitchen. I got halfway down the stairs and saw what it was -- it was Artie licking his bowl clean with such vigor, the bowl was hitting the wall. He's NEVER done that EVER. 'Twas the duck.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,607,203 times
When Nanners has no interest in food, I KNOW it's vet time. Of course, the watery diarrhea and vomit are pretty good indicators as well.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
When Nanners has no interest in food, I KNOW it's vet time. Of course, the watery diarrhea and vomit are pretty good indicators as well.
That's the thing... Artie's always been finicky about his food. I can't just remove his bowl if he doesn't eat because he burns up so much energy running around in the backyard and with his friends, he needs his calories. At first it was the grains that were causing him avoidance. Now he's just being mean and "deciding" that he doesn't like this (whatever this is) anymore. And I actually have to agree -- I wouldn't like to eat the same thing every day, twice per day, either.

As for watery diarrhea and vomit... Artie's always had digestive issues as well. His poop was never good (until recently) and he threw up frequently (maybe because of the grains).

So I had nothing to go on to determine if he wasn't feeling well. Now I know that if he won't eat, something's up.

It would be so much easier if I could teach him to talk. And teach him to walk himself. Or, better yet, teach him to use the toilet. Heck, I'd love to teach him to do the laundry too, while I'm at it.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:09 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,348,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's the thing... Artie's always been finicky about his food. I can't just remove his bowl if he doesn't eat because he burns up so much energy running around in the backyard and with his friends, he needs his calories. At first it was the grains that were causing him avoidance. Now he's just being mean and "deciding" that he doesn't like this (whatever this is) anymore. And I actually have to agree -- I wouldn't like to eat the same thing every day, twice per day, either.

I totally agree. Just like humans, dogs are not meant to eat the same exact thing every single day. What a dull life! I switch his proteins weekly and that's what keeps him interested. I also buy different S & C patties, and he gets a different flavor with each meal.

I truly believe that picky dogs are a result of the owners. And I think that it's a good thing. These dogs are so loved that the owners will do anything, despite what these dog "experts" tell us to get our dogs to eat. We leave the food so they eat whenever they want, add stuff to make it enticing, and change flavors when we think they're bored. I'd rather have a dog that's picky with his food than one that is forced to eat the same thing every single day in a set amount of time or risk having it taken away by his "master." But, I love my boy more than anything and I didn't get him to dictate his eating schedule or preference.

Will my dog eat the next meal if I take his food away after 15 minutes? Absolutely, as I have tried it. But, that's not how we do things around here and he is much happier to be on his own schedule and I'd hate to have someone tell me when I had to eat. Yea, I know. It's a dog and you're the boss...but again, our way works for him and I have a happy, healthy dog, and one with an excellent temperament to show for it. Besides, their lifespan is way too short to not spoil them.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I totally agree. Just like humans, dogs are not meant to eat the same exact thing every single day. What a dull life! I switch his proteins weekly and that's what keeps him interested. I also buy different S & C patties, and he gets a different flavor with each meal.

I truly believe that picky dogs are a result of the owners. And I think that it's a good thing. These dogs are so loved that the owners will do anything, despite what these dog "experts" tell us to get our dogs to eat. We leave the food so they eat whenever they want, add stuff to make it enticing, and change flavors when we think they're bored. I'd rather have a dog that's picky with his food than one that is forced to eat the same thing every single day in a set amount of time or risk having it taken away by his "master." But, I love my boy more than anything and I didn't get him to dictate his eating schedule or preference.

Will my dog eat the next meal if I take his food away after 15 minutes? Absolutely, as I have tried it. But, that's not how we do things around here and he is much happier to be on his own schedule and I'd hate to have someone tell me when I had to eat. Yea, I know. It's a dog and you're the boss...but again, our way works for him and I have a happy, healthy dog, and one with an excellent temperament to show for it. Besides, their lifespan is way too short to not spoil them.
Just this morning, I was watching TV and there was a show in which people asked a vet questions. The vet sounded really knowledgeable and nice -- someone I'd seek out. About food, he said that for his own dog, he free feeds. He puts food out and the dog eats when he's hungry. The vet thought that this was a good method, and I liked the vet for saying that.

Then someone asked about variety. Here is where I didn't love the vet. The vet said that a dog isn't as choosey as a human (Hello? Have you met Artie and PC? Yeah. I didn't think so.) and that they SHOULD eat the same food every day. His reasoning for saying "SHOULD" was that changes to their diet could disrupt the digestive system. Well, we all know that, and we all know about gradual introduction to a new food, so I wasn't buying his claim that a dog SHOULD eat the same thing his whole life IF the dog isn't interested in his food anymore.

PS. Artie wolfed down his breakfast today -- his kibble mixed up with half a shredded S&C duck patty (aka "duck dust"). He hadn't pooped on our first walk -- the one before breakfast -- but at 9am, he had the most perfect poop ever. I'm one happy mama -- my boy is eating happily and pooping perfectly. What more could I ask for? (If he could do the laundry, but I've asked and just get this look in return --> )

Old 02-28-2010, 02:09 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,493,804 times
I am interested in the Stella&Chewy freeze dried duck. Can you recommend a good online store? I have found it on Amazon for ~29$ then a place called Doggiefood.com for ~21$+DFC15 code takes 15% off but I have not heard of them. Has anyone used this online cmpany?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am interested in the Stella&Chewy freeze dried duck. Can you recommend a good online store? I have found it on Amazon for ~29$ then a place called Doggiefood.com for ~21$+DFC15 code takes 15% off but I have not heard of them. Has anyone used this online cmpany?
Yup, I've heard of them. I think you're safe to order -- and enjoy! You found a great deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or