U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 AM

926 posts, read 1,936,634 times

Advertisements

For as long as I can remember, I've been a GSD fanatic and always had great respect for authority figures like K9 police officers (just a dream, not a realistic path for me). Although my family hasn't had a shepherd for years (had one 25 yrs ago), I always dreamed of having my own...and still do. But my love of dogs goes further than that. I used to have a part time job as a pet sitter/ dog walker and considered an animal health program in junior college but ended up switching to social sciences instead and was a volunteer at a search and rescue group, on the K9 squad (did basic tracking, assisted the handler, etc. but nothing professional).

Still, whenever I think of my current office job and the route I'm going...dead end job, college degree being unused, stressful environment with no raises in years... I can't help but think there would be more fulfilling jobs for me...where as Opyelie (poster from one of my working rants) said, I'd feel more appreciated somewhere else. I'd like to feel valued (like my screen name, lol) , really work on a team and give back to the community.
I'm thinking about my lifelong dream to be around dogs. But I wonder, without a DVM/science or law enforcement background, what kind of jobs are available for those interested in the field besides entry level kennel worker/volunteer? For example, what kind of expertise does it take to become a breeder's assistant, or even just working in entry level?

How do people start out when they have limited experience with dogs and no contacts in the industry yet? I suppose that asking people who work with dogs already, attending shows and talking to some participants, joining the UKC (United Kennel Club) , etc. would be a start. But if you've been there, done that and are "in the biz", I appreciate further insight on how you got your paws wet.

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 03-01-2010 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,015,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
For as long as I can remember, I've been a GSD fanatic and always had great respect for authority figures like K9 police officers (just a dream, not a realistic path for me). Although my family hasn't had a shepherd for years (had one 25 yrs ago), I always dreamed of having my own...and still do. But my love of dogs goes further than that. I used to have a part time job as a pet sitter/ dog walker and considered an animal health program in junior college but ended up switching to social sciences instead and was a volunteer at a search and rescue group, on the K9 squad (did basic tracking, assisted the handler, etc. but nothing professional).

Still, whenever I think of my current office job and the route I'm going...dead end job, college degree being unused, stressful environment with no raises in years... I can't help but think there would be more fulfilling jobs for me...where as Opyelie (poster from one of my working rants) said, I'd feel more appreciated somewhere else. I'd like to feel valued (like my screen name, lol) , really work on a team and give back to the community.
I'm thinking about my lifelong dream to be around dogs. But I wonder, without a DVM/science or law enforcement background, what kind of jobs are available for those interested in the field besides entry level kennel worker/volunteer? For example, what kind of expertise does it take to become a breeder's assistant, or even just working in entry level?

How do people start out when they have limited experience with dogs and no contacts in the industry yet? I suppose that asking people who work with dogs already, attending shows and talking to some participants, joining the UKC (United Kennel Club) , etc. would be a start. But if you've been there, done that and are "in the biz", I appreciate further insight on how you got your paws wet.
Without experience there is very, very little in the animal related fields career wise. I've been doing training for 15+ years and rescue for 13+ years and I can't find a job working with animals. I've been looking for years. I'm with you - I hate my office job too.

The only thing I can think of is if you are good at crafts or baking. Maybe start a part time out of your home business making dog collars and or leashes or baking treats?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:08 AM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times
I was a Breeder many yrs ago. & I knew tons of Breeders. NONE of us could Afford to pay some one to clean up poo.... A few boarding kennels hired PT Kennel help...teens at Below min wage. Several friends were Dog Groomers...little better than Min Wage. Vet techs need vet training now a days. Not sure their pay scale is ... you might check into that. You could also KEEP your reg job & Volenteer at your local shelter!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
yep, as other people have said, there's very little money in most unskilled animal-related jobs. vet techs do all right but you do generally have to go to school. i think it's a 2 to 4 year trade school, and most schools will help you with placement when you're done. most breeders don't even make much profit, and very few of them have employees.

some bigger animal shelters have paid workers - adoption counselors, cleaners, office workers, etc. the pay is pretty low though, unless you're in the higher administration. even then it's probably pretty low relative to other jobs of that type.

the thing is, a lot of people really love animals and want to work with animals, and are willing to take less money because it's something they're passionate about. so unless you have specialized training in the field, pay is going to be pretty low and positions scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs