Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
World Citizen: Good thing I've been in such a daze. Ordinarily, I would have called them as soon as someone suggested it. But because I'm in a fog, I just added it to my to-do list instead. Scratch, scratch. Thank you.
I am not trying to scare you but you really need to use this time to find out what you're up against.

Things can start happening very quickly.

I thought I was doing all the right things. I went to the Police Station to file a report and found out that the "victim" had already called them...

Do you have a friend that's an attorney that can advise you about dog laws, etc?

A few days later, I received a citation in the mail. I was charged with "Harboring a Vicious Animal"... over what was a tiny scratch.
My dog was not running loose. There had never been any other problem.

You need to find out what your town's ordinance states about dog bites.

Most town's Animal Ordinances are available online.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I am not trying to scare you but you really need to use this time to find out what you're up against.

Things can start happening very quickly.

I thought I was doing all the right things. I went to the Police Station to file a report and found out that the "victim" had already called them...

Do you have a friend that's an attorney that can advise you about dog laws, etc?

A few days later, I received a citation in the mail. I was charged with "Harboring a Vicious Animal"... over what was a tiny scratch.
And, my dog was not running loose. There had never been any other problem.

You need to find out what your town's ordinance states about dog bites.

Most town's Animal Ordinances are available online.
I don't think that this man will sue me seeing that he lives right around the corner from me. Everyone in the neighborhood who knows about this thinks that he shouldn't have even called Animal Control, but he did. So maybe he will take it to the nth degree, but I think that he felt that he HAD to make A call, and that was the call he made. I don't know for certain that he won't sue me, but I think (hope) he won't.

I will look up the ordinances, though, and see what I find out.

You're not scaring me -- you're opening my eyes, the ones that are heavy-lidded from not having slept all night from angst. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think that this man will sue me seeing that he lives right around the corner from me. Everyone in the neighborhood who knows about this thinks that he shouldn't have even called Animal Control, but he did. So maybe he will take it to the nth degree, but I think that he felt that he HAD to make A call, and that was the call he made. I don't know for certain that he won't sue me, but I think (hope) he won't.

I will look up the ordinances, though, and see what I find out.

You're not scaring me -- you're opening my eyes, the ones that are heavy-lidded from not having slept all night from angst. Thank you.
I'm not talking about sueing.

I'm talking about what happens after a Dog Bite.

Once Animal Control is involved, it is a legal matter. There may be consequences that you aren't yet aware of.

Unfortunately, I learned a lot about dog laws during my ordeal...

I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I'm not talking about sueing.

I'm talking about what happens after a Dog Bite.

Once Animal Control is involved, it is a legal matter. There may be consequences that you aren't yet aware of.

Unfortunately, I learned a lot about dog laws during my ordeal...

I'm so sorry that this happened to you.
GULP!

You're talking about them making me euthanize him, aren't you? (I'm very dense when I'm in denial, I think.)

You know what then? I'm not going to research the ordinance. I'd rather be surprised when they ring the doorbell than be waiting for them to ring the doorbell. It's not an "ignorance is bliss" thing -- it's more like I don't want to turn this into a self-fulfilling prophecy or live with my heart in my throat waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Dawn, I don't know you, never heard of you before, nuthin' I speak dog, and if you don't get SUED spend the money and time on training, and lessons. A muzzel is one thing, controll is another, and YOU evidently need to be Alfa Dog. Dogs are pack animals.

Nearly all the time I am the Alfa male to any dog i see. I have had 2 great danes both abused, bit by both in training, Bit again when one was rightly fighting more or less, with a Irish Wolf Hound. The girl on the other end of a 25 feet lead had no bee's wax being on the property at 6:30 am. There was such a ruckus after I let my dane out, on a cable run I went to see, quite naked from the shower. This was rural and i was as shocked to see a girl with that size dog and mine fighting, I don't know how to discribe it, but naked or not i waded in and beat up both dogs.

The girl never came back again, and i never told her she couldn't, so I never did understand that at all

Your dog is being Alfa, and you are beta dog. This must stop. If you can't this dog will die by the law. A No dog can go around and bite people even if you didn't mean to let it free, or another person didn't mean to let it free. Dogs do die all the time because they bite other people. You are lucky if the dog lives after the 3rd person is bitten.

I have 0 fear of any dog, and have been hired because i can get along with bad garage dogs who are preforming a security service, and these dogs would tend to bite most anyone.

I have killed a dog sent to attack me in a group of 2 couples, one Dobbie, dead, and for nothing other than I was in a park at evening time, and the owner feared me for nothing, or maybe it was a long hair thing.

In any case i was with a gal and another buddy and his gal. I heard the dog owner say what he did, to his dobbie and the next thing he knew that dobbie was dead, and no gun. I understand the attack pattern and used the dobbie against himself. I felt really bad, but I wasn't given any choice.

I feel really bad saying this, and partly because it isn't any of my bee's wax. I am not here to judge, other than you have no choice to get training to controll your loved pet, or it will end far worse than this.

I agree with the X Marine too, the one with the Masstiff. With a dog like that, he and his wife simply must have controll (not a leash). I have ridden that type of dog playing. A dog like that will approach 200+ pounds, and a dog that size will be far more powerfull than a 22 year old male human at the same 200+ pounds.

Use this time to set up training and get that dog to be a better pet. I hope you are not sued.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Dawn, I don't know you, never heard of you before, nuthin' I speak dog, and if you don't get SUED spend the money and time on training, and lessons. A muzzel is one thing, controll is another, and YOU evidently need to be Alfa Dog. Dogs are pack animals.

Nearly all the time I am the Alfa male to any dog i see. I have had 2 great danes both abused, bit by both in training, Bit again when one was rightly fighting more or less, with a Irish Wolf Hound. The girl on the other end of a 25 feet lead had no bee's wax being on the property at 6:30 am. There was such a ruckus after I let my dane out, on a cable run I went to see, quite naked from the shower. This was rural and i was as shocked to see a girl with that size dog and mine fighting, I don't know how to discribe it, but naked or not i waded in and beat up both dogs.

The girl never came back again, and i never told her she couldn't, so I never did understand that at all

Your dog is being Alfa, and you are beta dog. This must stop. If you can't this dog will die by the law. A No dog can go around and bite people even if you didn't mean to let it free, or another person didn't mean to let it free. Dogs do die all the time because they bite other people. You are lucky if the dog lives after the 3rd person is bitten.

I have 0 fear of any dog, and have been hired because i can get along with bad garage dogs who are preforming a security service, and these dogs would tend to bite most anyone.

I have killed a dog sent to attack me in a group of 2 couples, one Dobbie, dead, and for nothing other than I was in a park at evening time, and the owner feared me for nothing, or maybe it was a long hair thing.

In any case i was with a gal and another buddy and his gal. I heard the dog owner say what he did, to his dobbie and the next thing he knew that dobbie was dead, and no gun. I understand the attack pattern and used the dobbie against himself. I felt really bad, but I wasn't given any choice.

I feel really bad saying this, and partly because it isn't any of my bee's wax. I am not here to judge, other than you have no choice to get training to controll your loved pet, or it will end far worse than this.

I agree with the X Marine too, the one with the Masstiff. With a dog like that, he and his wife simply must have controll (not a leash). I have ridden that type of dog playing. A dog like that will approach 200+ pounds, and a dog that size will be far more powerfull than a 22 year old male human at the same 200+ pounds.

Use this time to set up training and get that dog to be a better pet. I hope you are not sued.
This is kind of beating a dead horse, don't ya think? She's quite aware of all of this. She's said there's going to be training when he's back. The X Marine was off base and I'm sorry, but you are too. Please go back and read the last - what? - 7 pages? You're stating the obvious............ again.

Can we get a smilie that's beating a dead horse? I've seen it on other forums - it exists. And man oh man, could we ever use it around here!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
GULP!

You're talking about them making me euthanize him, aren't you? (I'm very dense when I'm in denial, I think.)

You know what then? I'm not going to research the ordinance. I'd rather be surprised when they ring the doorbell than be waiting for them to ring the doorbell. It's not an "ignorance is bliss" thing -- it's more like I don't want to turn this into a self-fulfilling prophecy or live with my heart in my throat waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Ignorance is not bliss.

Every community has their own ordinances. You need to know what you're up against.

In my dog's case, I worked with the City Council and ended up getting the ordinance changed in my community.

I sent you a DM.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Quote:
GULP!

I don't know what your city or town form of government is, but in my town, a report gets filed at the PD. That report makes its way to the selectmen.

If there is a repeat of the problem, (another attack), you would receive a summons to appear in front of the selectmen. They will determine what the course of action will be for your dog.

Again, here, it depends on the town and their laws. They usually have a 3 strikes mindset and will often send the animal packing to another town rather than order euthanasia, but it depends on the ferocity of the attack and how many or if there have been any other attacks or complaints.

I'd suggest you pour a glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage tonight, put your feet up, and RELAX. This will all work out the way it's meant to and you need to calm down and just get some rest now.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Hugs!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Dawn, they cannot make you euth Artie for the first bite. Not when very little damage was done. If he had ripped the guy's face off, or broken his eg bone, that's a more serious issue. Take a deep breath!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Dawn, they cannot make you euth Artie for the first bite. Not when very little damage was done. If he had ripped the guy's face off, or broken his eg bone, that's a more serious issue. Take a deep breath!
I lived in an area that has BSL and horrible dog laws. Every community and state is different.

She can make an anonymous call the Humane Society tomorrow... and ask them what the dog bite laws are in her community.

They should be able to tell her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs