U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,338 posts, read 7,500,959 times
Reputation: 33307

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Gotcha. Thank you.
He's right Dawn. You'd probably be amazed to read their actualy written report. There won't be any honey or sweetie in it!

 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,642 posts, read 26,590,326 times
Reputation: 26575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Amen.

Dawn me dear, I'm just seeing this now. I have huge sympathy for you - I know pretty much what you are going through.

When we moved back to the country we called home at that time after a stint in deepest, darkest Africa, the powers that be seized our parrots. (To fully understand the lunacy of all this, these were parrots that left with us from that country - they were merely "going home.") Long and involved story with the added interest of me having to go have not-so-minor surgery at the time. The only upside to the timing was access to morphine.

The whole thing about visiting is tricky. In the same move, we had two dogs in quarantine - 6 MONTH quarantine. . We went to visit them once... and no, never again. To me - to us - it was almost cruel. All the dogs knew is there we were, we even brought the "dogmobile" and .... then we left and they didn't, why were we leaving them behind?! I could only think/feel that it did nothing but serve to confuse them.

But what's done is done and cannot be undone... so now concentrate on moving forward. Accidents happen. It's why they're called accidents.

Poor Artie. However, it will pass and he'll survive and you'll survive. It's only time between now and then.
Thank you. Your words are a gift to me right now. Thank you for that, especially the last two paragraphs. Thank you.
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,642 posts, read 26,590,326 times
Reputation: 26575
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
He's right Dawn. You'd probably be amazed to read their actualy written report. There won't be any honey or sweetie in it!
Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that.
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
 
701 posts, read 1,667,166 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
People freak out when they see a dog running at them. I did as a kid and as a result was bitten.
Ditto, and come to find it out it's such the wrong way to respond.

OP, it was an accident, other wise it would be called an 'on purpose'....right? Dogs and all animals are unpredictable and it was genuine accident. Let's hope the person that was bitten is level-headed enough to understand this also.

You and your pup will be reunited in a couple of weeks...I'm sorry for your separation anxiety, I can sympathize and empathize.
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,642 posts, read 26,590,326 times
Reputation: 26575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Ditto, and come to find it out it's such the wrong way to respond.

OP, it was an accident, other wise it would be called an 'on purpose'....right? Dogs and all animals are unpredictable and it was genuine accident. Let's hope the person that was bitten is level-headed enough to understand this also.

You and your pup will be reunited in a couple of weeks...I'm sorry for your separation anxiety, I can sympathize and empathize.
Thank you. As much as I know the right way to respond, I would have responded the same way the man did. It's natural instinct.

You know that feeling you get when you see an accident on your way to work, and you think, "Wow! If I'd left five minutes earlier -- if I'd been able to choose my clothes quicker -- I'd have BEEN in that accident rather than just SEEN it"? That's all that I've been thinking. If the door hadn't been opened before I had Artie's leash in my hand... all would be well. Or if that man had gone for his walk five minutes sooner. Or five minutes later. But life isn't like that.

It's funny too that you said "YOUR separation anxiety" rather than "HIS separation anxiety" -- you got that right on! I'm hopeful that Artie will be just fine for these two weeks. Me? I know that I'll be a basketcase the entire time.

Thank you for your words. They mean a lot.
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,338 posts, read 7,500,959 times
Reputation: 33307
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
being an ex-marine does not excuse or condone such boorish behaviour..... my own dad was a marine and i can NOT imagine him EVER being remotely as cruel.....oh and its HEELER ..... not healer...... i have one .....d .... so so so sorry this happened to y'all ...... bailey nipped a neighbor kid one time ..... JUST enough to break the skin on his calf .... while she was on her own lead on her own driveway ..... they took the kid to the dr (he was in the foster system, so didn't want to take any chances) ..... and of course, she was reported. The kid's grandfather was my next door neighbor and he repeatedly told animal control that it was THE KID'S FAULT..... he had come running directly at her pushing some sort of noisy toy ..... after having been told repeatedly that that type of toy was not allowed in my yard if bailey was outside....... my house mate and another friend were on the front porch and saw the whole thing...... she freaked out and did what a freaked out dog does......get home from work the next day and there is HUGE yellow sign on my front door that said because my dog attacked someone, i was to bring her shot records to animal control IMMEDIATELY..... they did allow me to quarantine her at home ..... thank god..... she would NOT have done well in a kennel setting..... but the pisser for me now is that she has a RECORD.... with the county and state.......(((((HUGGZ))))) to you and to artie......
Wow! That's just stupid bureaucracy at work. The mentality is like that here in south Florida... you're just a number.

Kudo's to you re the Marine's statement. They're not taught to be jerks. The first part of their credo is 'Do no harm'.
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,338 posts, read 7,500,959 times
Reputation: 33307
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Amen.

Dawn me dear, I'm just seeing this now. I have huge sympathy for you - I know pretty much what you are going through.

When we moved back to the country we called home at that time after a stint in deepest, darkest Africa, the powers that be seized our parrots. (To fully understand the lunacy of all this, these were parrots that left with us from that country - they were merely "going home.") Long and involved story with the added interest of me having to go have not-so-minor surgery at the time. The only upside to the timing was access to morphine.

The whole thing about visiting is tricky. In the same move, we had two dogs in quarantine - 6 MONTH quarantine. . We went to visit them once... and no, never again. To me - to us - it was almost cruel. All the dogs knew is there we were, we even brought the "dogmobile" and .... then we left and they didn't, why were we leaving them behind?! I could only think/feel that it did nothing but serve to confuse them.

But what's done is done and cannot be undone... so now concentrate on moving forward. Accidents happen. It's why they're called accidents.

Poor Artie. However, it will pass and he'll survive and you'll survive. It's only time between now and then.
Did they quarantine the parrots for 6 months too? That's the reason we didn't choose an overseas assignment when the ex and I were together. The quarantine for the country we'd be going to and then upon return was excessive. I had my cat who was 20 at the time of the decision. She never could have withstood that quarantine. SO not fair. If the shots are current and so forth, then quarantine like that is ridiculously excessive imo. WAY overboard!!!
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
4,582 posts, read 5,002,208 times
Reputation: 4331
Dawn - Don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been posted. I am so sorry you are going thru this!! Keep your chin up and we will all be praying this turns out fine!!
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
 
1,688 posts, read 6,875,067 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Did they quarantine the parrots for 6 months too?
No - they were released hours after the PITA's boss returned to her desk (some five days later). It was nothing but a bureaucratic storm in a teacup type scenario - and the boss took the pragmatic view while underling was less than either sympathetic or even just plain polite. In the meantime they had been kept in less than satisfactory conditions - not out of malice, just because the person in charge of looking after them was entirely clueless.

Dawn... one thing I think needs adding to all this (and I'm trying to be as gentle as I can about it.... ) is that in the meantime, you need to mentally prepare yourself for when Artie does come home - ie, that you will start as you mean to go on. The natural inclination is to go a wee bit overboard and "spoil" just a tad because you'll be so truly relieved and happy and just fit to burst he's home. Try really hard to temper it all by remembering Artie does not understand the whys and wherefores. All he knows is he's home and that's all that matters. The sooner you two get back to his normal pre-incarceration routine, the better (both for him and for you too probably).
 
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 36,735,712 times
Reputation: 22096
Dawn...I know your having a tough, tough time with all of this. That NY trip will help pass the time and hopefully, keep your mind off of Artie. But, look at the incredible support and advice you have gotten here!!!!! CD dog forum people are truly the best! Thanks you guys! Reps to you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top