U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,180,726 times

Advertisements

Dawn - I'm with CM on this....do whatever you need to do to get some sleep tonight. You'll think more clearly and calmly after some good sleep. Tomorrow is another day.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,200,735 times
Dawn, I am in the middle of a work stretch so did not see this until my break tonight as I was asleep all day.

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles. Artie gets an award for his poop and it goes to his head and he thinks he can get away with being a tough guy? boys!!!

Yes training will help but when you have a fear aggressive dog as you know you have to be very proactive to look for situations before they happen, which I think you normally are. Some times things are out of our control such as the door being opened by someone else so don't beat yourself up.

As I have stated many times my Jazz is a fear aggressive possessive obessive control freak not a good combo of things to be but it is in her genes. I have had to be ever viligent when I take her out but she goes out and does most things my other dogs have done and knock on wood the old lady will be 14 in May and despite being in a number of dog fights has never injured a dog and has never bitten a person. whew! She has been a very tough dog to own but I would not trade a moment with her as she is also a total love bug and the smartest dog I have ever known.

I do not muzzle Jazz when we are out but we do walk with a gentle leader as then if a dog approaches and she starts to react I can control her head and prevent anything from happening. She does however wear a muzzle at the vets if he is going to be doing something she may not like or if I get her nails trimmed at the groomers as she is very frightened in both cases so will snap at them. The groomers always say you don't have to muzzle her and I tell them better safe then sorry. The vet never asks me to muzzle her instead I tell him I will put her muzzle on for this and I know he is thankful that I am proactive that way.

I think it is very easy for people that have never had a fear aggressive dog to tell others how to control the dog but until you actually have dealt with one you really do not understand it all . You may think you do but you do not. Agility club practice was a challenge with Jazz as some people refused to leash or crate their dogs when other dogs were running the course.There was a member who I know felt Jazz should not even be there and was always offering me advice.She really pissed me off and one day I thought I hope some day you end up with a dog like this then maybe you will understand it is not black and white and as easliy fixed as obedience training ( as Jazz is excellent at obedience as long as I can catch her before that fear takes hold,once her brain is swimming in chemicals from the fight and flight responce all bets are off). well someone up there was listening as this person now has a border collie with fear aggressive issues and now she does understand that it is more complicated then she ever imagined and in many cases can not be fixed instead one learns to deal with it and try to prevent problems before they happen. Now she is all lovey dovey to Jazz . In a way I wish everyone would have to own such a dog at some time in their lives as it will change your views on alot of things about dogs. These are not bad dogs but dogs that become so comsumed with fears that they can not control their reactions without help. Keep in mind there are the chemical/ hormonal reactions going on in the brain in a fearful situation.

I have to get back to work but do know that Jazz and I and even girlie boy Dazzle send our love and thoughts to you and Artie. Hope these two weeks pass by fast . Jan

Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,862,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
This is kind of beating a dead horse, don't ya think? She's quite aware of all of this. She's said there's going to be training when he's back. The X Marine was off base and I'm sorry, but you are too. Please go back and read the last - what? - 7 pages? You're stating the obvious............ again.

Can we get a smilie that's beating a dead horse? I've seen it on other forums - it exists. And man oh man, could we ever use it around here!

and dawn .... this one is for you when these macho know-it-alls deem it necessary to come in here and lecture you:

Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 AM

16,701 posts, read 26,798,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dawn, I am in the middle of a work stretch so did not see this until my break tonight as I was asleep all day.

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles. Artie gets an award for his poop and it goes to his head and he thinks he can get away with being a tough guy? boys!!!

Yes training will help but when you have a fear aggressive dog as you know you have to be very proactive to look for situations before they happen, which I think you normally are. Some times things are out of our control such as the door being opened by someone else so don't beat yourself up.

As I have stated many times my Jazz is a fear aggressive possessive obessive control freak not a good combo of things to be but it is in her genes. I have had to be ever viligent when I take her out but she goes out and does most things my other dogs have done and knock on wood the old lady will be 14 in May and despite being in a number of dog fights has never injured a dog and has never bitten a person. whew! She has been a very tough dog to own but I would not trade a moment with her as she is also a total love bug and the smartest dog I have ever known.

I do not muzzle Jazz when we are out but we do walk with a gentle leader as then if a dog approaches and she starts to react I can control her head and prevent anything from happening. She does however wear a muzzle at the vets if he is going to be doing something she may not like or if I get her nails trimmed at the groomers as she is very frightened in both cases so will snap at them. The groomers always say you don't have to muzzle her and I tell them better safe then sorry. The vet never asks me to muzzle her instead I tell him I will put her muzzle on for this and I know he is thankful that I am proactive that way.

I think it is very easy for people that have never had a fear aggressive dog to tell others how to control the dog but until you actually have dealt with one you really do not understand it all . You may think you do but you do not. Agility club practice was a challenge with Jazz as some people refused to leash or crate their dogs when other dogs were running the course.There was a member who I know felt Jazz should not even be there and was always offering me advice.She really pissed me off and one day I thought I hope some day you end up with a dog like this then maybe you will understand it is not black and white and as easliy fixed as obedience training ( as Jazz is excellent at obedience as long as I can catch her before that fear takes hold,once her brain is swimming in chemicals from the fight and flight responce all bets are off). well someone up there was listening as this person now has a border collie with fear aggressive issues and now she does understand that it is more complicated then she ever imagined and in many cases can not be fixed instead one learns to deal with it and try to prevent problems before they happen. Now she is all lovey dovey to Jazz . In a way I wish everyone would have to own such a dog at some time in their lives as it will change your views on alot of things about dogs. These are not bad dogs but dogs that become so comsumed with fears that they can not control their reactions without help. Keep in mind there are the chemical/ hormonal reactions going on in the brain in a fearful situation.

I have to get back to work but do know that Jazz and I and even girlie boy Dazzle send our love and thoughts to you and Artie. Hope these two weeks pass by fast . Jan
Thank you, Jan, thank you for everything -- your words, your thoughts, your hopes... xo

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 AM

30,165 posts, read 16,659,249 times
Dawn,

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you and Artie. In my state, we have a 'first bite free' rule where no further action would be taken against the dog. Hopefully, this will be the case for you.

You will want to report this to your HO insurance so they can begin their investigation before the person who got bit reports it first.

Yes, they will probably offer him some compensation - but this beats getting 'sued'. You don't have to be sued in order for him to present a claim against your carrier.

I have worked many dog bite claims in my day and usually they are fairly simple unless there is some serious scarring involved.

Take good care of yourself.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 AM

16,701 posts, read 26,798,278 times
LTTP: Thanks!

Ringo1: Really, the "bite" was a scratch at best. Sigh... I am going to take some good care of myself, starting now, because Artie's going to need be to be in tip-top shape when he's sprung from the big house.

TO EVERYONE:

I'm going to take a break from this thread and won't be responding to further messages. I need to get some work done, and I need to stop thinking of Artie being in prison before it makes me physically sick. And when I do find myself immersed in Artie thoughts, I need to think of the positives, like me being Alpha when he returns.

I'm not saying that your posts were negative -- far from it; they were flowing with love and caring -- but sometimes misery loves company... and then the misery moves in instead of just visiting.

So I'm just going to try to get through these next couple of weeks in fairly good spirits, and then I'm going to pick up my boy. We'll have a loving reunion and then I'll tell him the big news: That Mama is boss now.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,912,962 times
((HUGS))

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 AM

19,832 posts, read 56,088,639 times
So, I am clsoing this thread so Dawn doesn't get the daily reminders of what peopole say! Please start a new one when you are ready. Hugs.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs