U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 AM

16,670 posts, read 26,752,444 times

Advertisements

We had a BIG event yesterday. Artie and I went over to my neighbor/friend's house (he's the one with the two Lab puppies) at 5pm to take our walk together, like always.

My friend's father was there, so the dogs played for a few minutes while everyone got their stuff together to leave.

The father opened the front door and the three dogs ran outside. I screamed to my friend and he said "They always play on the lawn together. It's OK." To which I yelled out, "But there could be someone out walking!!!"

(This all happened in a split second, keep in mind. I knew that if Artie saw someone out on the street, he would go chase them. Worse if the person had a dog.)

Next thing I knew, I heard barking. It was Artie. There was someone on the street, and Artie chased him. The guy's reaction was to kick at Artie (the guy didn't know that would make it worse).

My friend got to Artie first -- I think I froze for a couple of seconds when I heard him barking -- and pulled him off. Artie bit the guy on the leg and broke skin.

An hour or so later, I got a call from Animal Control. Even though Artie has his shots, he has to be quarantined to make sure that there are no signs of rabies. (Why a 3-year rabie shot would "give out" now, I don't understand.) I asked if I could quarantine him at home and they said no -- if the incident had happened on my property, he could have been quarantined at home, but not this time because the bite happened elsewhere. (I don't understand that part either.)

They said that I'd have to find a place and have him quarantined by noon today... for two weeks.

I found a place last night. Because I knew I'd need my husband's help, we took Artie there last night. It was AWFUL.

I got no sleep last night. My head is killing me. And Artie is locked up -- and can't even have visitors (although I'd just cry anyway) -- for two weeks.

It was such a bad sequence of events -- the door being opened without the person thinking, my not even realizing that the door had been opened, the guy just happening to walk by at that moment, etc...

I feel awful for the guy who Artie bit and I feel awful for Artie and I just feel awful in general.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,246,398 times
I'm so sorry. Poor Artie.

These things can happen in a split second. I know my son thinks I'm a nag, but I'm always on him to make sure the front gate is close before letting Louie out and never to let him out without a leash. We had a scary incident last Sunday when my son's girlfriend walked Louie to the store. Some woman wanted to take his picture and Louie freaked out and bit her handbag. Thank heavens he didn't bite her. Louie is fine with my husband and my son and he's good with me, thanks to some good tips here on this forum (and I am ever vigilant when walking him because I know he can be unpredictable) but my son's girlfriend never walks him. I think he goes into protective mode or something.

Anyway, my heart goes out to you and Artie. And of course, to the guy who was bitten. I was bitten by a German Shepherd as a kid and I know how scary that can be.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,313,192 times
That is a shame for all involved. I can't imagine having a dog that can't be trusted as to weather they may bite someone or not. Poor Artie, hope the 2 weeks go quickly for you.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,397,459 times
I am so sorry this happened. (((((hugs))))))

I would notify my home owner's insurance.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,885,810 times
People freak out when they see a dog running at them. I did as a kid and as a result was bitten.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,875,655 times
Oh D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm am so sorry...I feel sick, just knowing what your going through! And poor Artie...You just know he doesn't understand what he has done wrong and why he is there....bad, bad situation for all those involved!
Years and years ago, our then, 1/2 black lab, 1/2 golden scratched Scott, our son. I took Scott to the dr, being a young Mom thinking it needed stitches( it didn;t)...by the time I got home, animal control was waiting at my door.Doc reported it as a dog bite! They too wanted to take the dog in for quarantine...I cried my eyes out and convinced the guy to leave the dog quarantined at our house. I had full proof of vaccinations as well. But I do understand them having to be careful.
How's the guy...is he going to pursue with any action? How badly was he bit?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM

4,131 posts, read 13,311,035 times
I'm so sorry too and I hope it can quickly get resolved and Artie will be home before you know it. Hang in there!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 AM

556 posts, read 1,834,254 times
DandJ - I hope this morning you have been able to take a few deep breaths...and I hope the facility where Artie is quarantined is one you like, and one that will do their best to make the next days ahead, as easy as possible for you all. I also hope the man who was bitten will be okay, and keep a level head as well.

I haven't read about Artie, but will - I just wanted to offer some support, having also had a dog quarantined by Animal Services for 10 days, at a facility - for biting a vet tech in a vet office. He too was within the 3 year rabies vaccination and he is not a dog that does well with strangers....it was a very scary time for us - we had no idea if he could tolerate being boarded like this - away from us - having his basic needs tended to by strangers.

The days passed slowly initially - we were in constant contact with the kennel manager, the facility manager and the vet supervising his quarantine. They were wonderful - our dog survived the quarantine - we were finally able to breathe and he came home safe and sound. The vet tech recovered and is doing well - although I know in my heart she is carrying scars both emotionally and physically from our dog.

That was 2.5 years ago - and today, if I recall the details of that ordeal, it can almost make me physically ill. The best to you and Artie and the man who was bitten. I hope ALL of you come out okay - and you've been reminded that your dog needs you more than ever - to protect him from situations where one slip in judgment could cost him his life.....we were reminded of the same with our dog - we take NO chances these days....kind thoughts to you....I'm sorry for the immense hurt/confusion/pain/grief/responsibility that you are likely feeling about now....give yourself time - for us, it took quite a while for things to feel 'normal' again....

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM

737 posts, read 2,248,801 times
Will they permit you to bring something from home that has your scent on it? Or maybe his dog bed - anything that will let him know home is not far away. Maybe his own dog food/treats. I don't understand why you can't see him but that might be better for you and him. Any update on the bitten individual?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 AM

16,670 posts, read 26,752,444 times
stillife: Artie has herding instincts and we think he was just trying to herd this man. It was just such a bad chain of events that, if one thing had been different, it wouldn't have happened. I'm still in a daze.

dogpaw: I wanted a different kind of dog -- the friendly neighborhood dog -- but I fell in love with Artie. And in most situations, he's a good boy. This was just mess of people by the front door, someone opening the door, the dogs getting out among this melee of people, and someone happening to be walking in our quiet cul-de-sac right at that moment. He's always on leash or in his fenced backyard. I had only let go of his leash when he was in my friend's house so the dogs could play. If only I could turn back time and made sure the door hadn't opened before I had the leash back in my hand. If only...

Driller1: Thank you. I didn't even think of that. My brain is in a fog of feelings right now.

skel1977: You're right. Even knowing what I know about dogs, I would have reacted just the same way that man did.

ShelbyGirl1: I remember you telling me about that situation with Scott. I wish Artie could have been quarantined in my house... but they said no. The bite looked like scratches to me, so I don't think it's bad at all. That said, I guess it doesn't take much for someone to sue. I hope that's not the case.

Honeycrisp: Thanks! It's going to be a looong two weeks.

Rottnboys: THANK YOU! I don't know that I'll ever feel normal again. Or maybe I'm just saying that now. I'm sorry that you had to go through something similiar with your dog. The "immense hurt/confusion/pain/grief/responsibility" you wrote about? EXACTLY. I feel ill.

SunsetBeachFL: No update from the guy who got bitten. I hope an update doesn't come from an attorney! I'm actually OK with not being allowed to visit him while in quarantine because I think that would be worse because I'd always have to leave and that would be harder for Artie... and for me. We're switching him to another place this evening -- maybe they would let me visit him, but I won't anyway because I'd just cry through each visit -- and I'll bring more stuff. I already brought his own food and treats, but the first place said not to bring his bedding. When we move him, I'm going to bring his bed (although he hasn't slept in it for years) and the blanket that he always sleeps with and a t-shirt of mine and some other stuff that I think will make him feel better. I, unfortunately, will not feel better until he's home. And even then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs