U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,616,871 times

Advertisements

As Redsox said, FIND THE PARK RULES. That should be the first thing you do. If it's a city park, it probably says you will bring your dog at your own risk, meaning the city isn't liable but also that if you choose to bring your dog there, expect there could be mishaps. And if it prohibits un-neutered dogs and she violated that, she was in the wrong for having the dog there. So get the rules.

And as another said, don't give her cash. See the itemized bill and based on all the factors, take it from there.

Personally, if another dog bit mine while I was being a good citizen watching my dog, I would appreciate that person offering to pay something. But I would get details and set limits depending on the circumstances. If he dog was prohibited from being there, I wouldn't help her with the expenses at all. Get the rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM

12 posts, read 12,493 times
We haven;t receive the bill yet.......I totally agree with everyone, paying everything did look like an admission of guilt.
Our plan is to pay half of the bill and enclosed a letter explaining that we were equally at fault, just as much as both of us are equally not at fault, so paying half of the bill is just trying to be a good person and help the dog that got hurt the most and not admitting to guilt.....something along that line....
I did check the park rules, it did not mention un-neutered dogs are not allowed in the park..

Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 12,493 times
She wants me to send her a check ASAP when we get the bill, many of my friends have advised me not to send her a personal check.......will cashier check or money order works?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,504,682 times
Did it mention at no time are you allowed to leave your dog unattended (which she did when she put it in the park and went to her vehicle)? I wuoldn't pay a red cent. I wouldn't communicate any further with her. I'd consult an attorney before doing another thing.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 PM

21,846 posts, read 23,073,284 times
Do not send her the money. If, after reading the rules of the park (ie neutered dogs only, must be attended at all times etc), you still feel some obligation - settle that portion directly with the vet and get a receipt. I would not put in writing that you were responsible for any of it. I might speak with an attorney as CoastalMaine said.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,616,871 times
Quote:
Do not send her the money. If, after reading the rules of the part (ie neutered dogs only, must be attended at all times etc), you still feel some obligation - settle that portion directly with the vet and get a receipt. I would not put in writing that you were responsible for any of it. I might speak with an attorney as CoastalMaine said.
Exactly. If you end up paying something, pay the vet's office DIRECTLY. Do not give payment to the woman. It sounds like she's being quite b****y and pressuring you when you already agreed to pay. If she's being this way with a person who agreed to reimburse expenses, you can probably bet she's going to be trouble down the road. I suggest you quit talking to her. It sounds like you are intimidated by her, and that is feeding her aggressiveness with you.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,094,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Did it mention at no time are you allowed to leave your dog unattended (which she did when she put it in the park and went to her vehicle)? I wuoldn't pay a red cent. I wouldn't communicate any further with her. I'd consult an attorney before doing another thing.
Usually the first conversation with an attorney is free.

I would not do anything before speaking with an attorney.

Paying her is like admitting guilt and it could come back to bite you...

If you have an attorney, they will handle all communication with her and make sure that SHE signs off on any future liability --

That is, if an attorney even thinks you should pay anything.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
agreed .... pay the vet DIRECTLY....... and get a receipt.......

NOTHING to the woman ... not cash, check, cashier's check, money order...... NADA.......

Old 03-05-2010, 02:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,094,709 times
Talk to an attorney first.

She could try to send you MORE bills in the future -- if you pay these...

Don't do it!

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-05-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,504,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Usually the first conversation with an attorney is free.

I would not do anything before speaking with an attorney.

Paying her is like admitting guilt and it could come back to bite you...

If you have an attorney, they will handle all communication with her and make sure that SHE signs off on any future liability --

That is, if an attorney even thinks you should pay anything.
Exactly!

The attorney consult is almost always free and this might be handled right over the phone with one. Unless it escalates. I'd keep my money for an attorney rather than offer it up a vet you know nothing about. You don't know if they're friends, relatives, or getting a kick back. Who would want to think those things, but in this day and age, you have to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs