Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times

Advertisements

I know she is getting a lot of grief for 6 weeks and that does not bode of a responsible breeder as it is too young, but many folks I know sell pups at 8 weeks and they are very much responsible breeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I agree^^. In FL., 8 weeks is the standard. In fact, I have a GSD and I got her when she was 6 weeks. Yes, it is very young (I think that 8+ is much better) but she has never been adversely affected by being taken from her mother so young. Moreover, it does nothing to help the OP to berate him/her about something that cannot be changed. He/she is looking for advice from here on out.

That said, the majority of dogs will become what you train them to be. Yes, breeds have personalities--GSD's in particular tend to have high prey drives--but if you know how to train a dog properly, then you will not have problems. The books that have been suggested will be very helpful. However, my one word of advice, especially b/c this pup is so young : spend as much time as you possibly can with her. If you have to leave her alone during the day, please consider a day-care (as soon as she is old enough). And spend every free moment that you have interacting with her (you and your Yorkie).

I do not foresee any probs with your Yorkie as most larger dogs are not at all threatened by smaller dogs. In fact, it's sort of a joke among many dog owners to have a very small dog and a large dog that are the best of friends. However, if you are afraid or wary, the dogs will pick up on it, which might cause them to react adversely to one another.

So first, relax. Yes, GSD's are very loyal and can be protective. But then, most dogs are like that; they tend to bond to one person. But that does not mean that they are unsociable or aggressive; they only get that way if you a) train them to be that way; b) don't train them properly by spending lots of quality time with them. Much like kids, you can't expect them to turn into well-adjusted adults by ignoring them and not paying attention to them

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your new furbaby. Please post regular updates (and perhaps some pictures when you get a chance).

Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I know she is getting a lot of grief for 6 weeks and that does not bode of a responsible breeder as it is too young, but many folks I know sell pups at 8 weeks and they are very much responsible breeders.
Agree. There are actually some widely accepted reasons to get a pup around that age (although some are borne out of dogma) and I have seen way too many good, healthy dogs that have been with their human families since they were 49-56 days old to attach uber-importance to those final 2-5 weeks with the dam. Also, I don't think I know anyone whom I would call a "committed dog person" who has a dog with problems that could credibly be linked to bringing a puppy home in the 8-week range (anecdotal, of course).

At 8 weeks the pecking order within the litter hasn't really been firmly established and the idea is that you get a dog that is more what you make of it than what its siblings make of it. On top of that, you still have to teach bite inhibition to a 12 week old pup.

Even so, six weeks is definitely a wee thing.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 03-05-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Is there a particular reason the OP is getting admonished/scolded as if SHE purchased the too-young-to-leave-its-mother dog, when she stated that her SO purchased the dog?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Very few people on this forum support breeders - at least not the back yard type. From what she's posted that's exactly what she's done. BYBs create more dogs in shelters. Many of us are in some way involved in rescue - whether it be foster, boarding, transport, or have a rescue of our own. We're very sensitive to the issue.

Her SO is just that. A dog should be a group decision, not something given as little thought as grabbing a pack of chewing gum in the check out line at the grocery store. If he brought it home she should have been the one to straighten him out. But it seems that she's quite happy with his decision which makes her an accomplice of sorts.

I"m glad she's enjoying her puppy. I certainly hope she does the research to raise it properly and has it spayed before another litter pops into this world. I hope she trains it well so it doesn't become another statistic. And I hope she looks into what a true responsible breeder is and how the BYBs are causing millions of deaths every year and that from now on her decisions - group decisions made with her SO - are a bit more responsibly.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Very few people on this forum support breeders - at least not the back yard type. From what she's posted that's exactly what she's done. BYBs create more dogs in shelters. Many of us are in some way involved in rescue - whether it be foster, boarding, transport, or have a rescue of our own. We're very sensitive to the issue.

Her SO is just that. A dog should be a group decision, not something given as little thought as grabbing a pack of chewing gum in the check out line at the grocery store. If he brought it home she should have been the one to straighten him out. But it seems that she's quite happy with his decision which makes her an accomplice of sorts.

I"m glad she's enjoying her puppy. I certainly hope she does the research to raise it properly and has it spayed before another litter pops into this world. I hope she trains it well so it doesn't become another statistic. And I hope she looks into what a true responsible breeder is and how the BYBs are causing millions of deaths every year and that from now on her decisions - group decisions made with her SO - are a bit more responsibly.
Mrs1885, while I agree with you in theory, my two Papillons (and I'm sure there's a mix with something in there from somewhere down the breeding line because they're too big to be pure) came from a BYB. Down here in south Florida, it's such desperate times fiscally for so many, I felt taking these dogs was basically a rescue. There are dogs and cats found in trash bags in canals frequently here.

I wouldn't actively pursue a BYB, but I wouldn't ignore taking puppies from someone for a reasonable fee (in this case it was the cost of their shots and first vet visit). All animals need and deserve our love and a good home. Where they come from in the end is secondary imo.

I think it's a great idea to discourage someone from the practice of being a BYB, but when someone actually gets a puppy from someone who did thus, I see it as a rescue. I do not condone paying exhorbitant fees to a BYB. That's where I draw the line.

My Papillons were $100 each. That covered their first vet visit, deworming, and first set of shots. They came from a well tended home with a single mom and one young daughter who loved both the momma dog and all the pups. Theirs was an unfortunate get together with gramma's Pap before the momma was spayed. Accidents happen. But those accidents produce some wonderful puppies deserving of homes and love too.

No one is obligated to only take dogs from rescue sites. It's very, very noble and I've done it with cats, and the army gave us the bulldog, but this is the way it worked out for me this time.

I agree with everything you said about researching the breed and taking responsibility for the animals you take in. Absolutely no difference of opinion there!

But I wouldn't presume to judge anyone else for their choice. The reason I posted for my CD friend about a transport from De to Fl was because she was afraid to post the puppy came from a situation identical to mine. She didn't want to take the flak. She shouldn't have to. We should all come together to help the animals; whatever the situation and leave the judgment to a higher authority. Yikes! lol

Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
I understand how you feel Coastal, but when anyone buys any dog from a BYB - regardless of how great the intentions - it just gives them more reason to breed. They seldom vet the parents or the puppies more than is required by law. Some don't even do that much. So if they can get $50 or $100 for them, it's money in their pocket and reason to continue the behavior.

I'm not saying I've got all the answers, please don't misunderstand me. If we were to outlaw BYB right this second, where do all those animals go? There are a lot of things to consider. And what about the good reputable breeders doing things the right way? They show, genetic test, etc and they're not going to produce an entire litter of puppies that are cut out for the show ring. So where do those puppies go?

There will always be dogs available from breeders. My point was this that she - or her SO - purchased from was obviously not a reputable breeder. There are plenty people out there that aren't aware of these things. 15 years or so ago I was one of them. It's more a learning point I was trying to make and hope to God she learned from it and moved forward. And because of that, I'm not judging her. I'm hoping this was an uneducated decision and that now that she's informed it will never happen again.

As for the economic situation, I know all too well. I moved from south Florida myself almost four years ago to a place that's much worse than south Florida has thought of being for at least 60 years. I have dogs in my care that have horror stories that would make you cry. The average income for an entire family here is around $20,000. People see their dogs as a way to earn income. And if they can't sell them fast enough they kill them off so the mother will go into heat sooner and they can breed her again. It's more money in their pocket. When the mothers no longer 'earn their keep' they dump them in the mountainous areas to starve and die. I've got a sweet, gorgeous poodle right now thanks to that mentality.

I don't think anyone is obligated to obtain a pet in any specific way. But I do think there are responsible ways of getting them and not so responsible ways. Of course these are just my opinions and I know my feelings run much, much stronger than most people I know.

As for your friend, I believe she contacted me about helping her and told me that transports had refused to help her. I apologized and tried to explain the thought process for her. I also offered other suggestions that might help her get her pet to her.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Mrs1885, while I agree with you in theory, my two Papillons (and I'm sure there's a mix with something in there from somewhere down the breeding line because they're too big to be pure) came from a BYB. Down here in south Florida, it's such desperate times fiscally for so many, I felt taking these dogs was basically a rescue. There are dogs and cats found in trash bags in canals frequently here.

I wouldn't actively pursue a BYB, but I wouldn't ignore taking puppies from someone for a reasonable fee (in this case it was the cost of their shots and first vet visit). All animals need and deserve our love and a good home. Where they come from in the end is secondary imo.

I think it's a great idea to discourage someone from the practice of being a BYB, but when someone actually gets a puppy from someone who did thus, I see it as a rescue. I do not condone paying exhorbitant fees to a BYB. That's where I draw the line.

My Papillons were $100 each. That covered their first vet visit, deworming, and first set of shots. They came from a well tended home with a single mom and one young daughter who loved both the momma dog and all the pups. Theirs was an unfortunate get together with gramma's Pap before the momma was spayed. Accidents happen. But those accidents produce some wonderful puppies deserving of homes and love too.

No one is obligated to only take dogs from rescue sites. It's very, very noble and I've done it with cats, and the army gave us the bulldog, but this is the way it worked out for me this time.

I agree with everything you said about researching the breed and taking responsibility for the animals you take in. Absolutely no difference of opinion there!

But I wouldn't presume to judge anyone else for their choice. The reason I posted for my CD friend about a transport from De to Fl was because she was afraid to post the puppy came from a situation identical to mine. She didn't want to take the flak. She shouldn't have to. We should all come together to help the animals; whatever the situation and leave the judgment to a higher authority. Yikes! lol

Great post. Not all BYB's are ogres. And even if they are, there's no reason that the dogs that they produce should suffer.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Great reply Mrs. Thanks!

It sounds like there's a hair that can be split here. There are BYB who do it for nefarious purposes, ergo, lining their own pockets on the back of callous treatment of animals; and then there are BYB who like mine, are decent folks whose pet got taken advantage of before the spay could occur. Those are the ones I have no quibble with. They do the right thing under the circumstances, sort of like a teen getting pregnant and not having an abortion. Poor analogy maybe, but I think you see my point.

The dirtbags you describe are just that and I support wholeheartedly having national laws enacted prohibiting those endeavors. That is totally despicable in this day and age. I hold them at the same level of contempt as Michael Vick and his ilk. I'm not even opposed to them being cleansed from society. I feel that strongly about that stuff.

And you're right. I couldn't stand to hear the details of the horrors inflicted on helpless animals. I can't handle it when it's children either. The innocents are to be protected, no abused.

I have no doubt of your heart being a very deep and loving heart towards all these furbabies. There's a special reward for you when your time comes my dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I understand how you feel Coastal, but when anyone buys any dog from a BYB - regardless of how great the intentions - it just gives them more reason to breed. They seldom vet the parents or the puppies more than is required by law. Some don't even do that much. So if they can get $50 or $100 for them, it's money in their pocket and reason to continue the behavior.

I'm not saying I've got all the answers, please don't misunderstand me. If we were to outlaw BYB right this second, where do all those animals go? There are a lot of things to consider. And what about the good reputable breeders doing things the right way? They show, genetic test, etc and they're not going to produce an entire litter of puppies that are cut out for the show ring. So where do those puppies go?

There will always be dogs available from breeders. My point was this that she - or her SO - purchased from was obviously not a reputable breeder. There are plenty people out there that aren't aware of these things. 15 years or so ago I was one of them. It's more a learning point I was trying to make and hope to God she learned from it and moved forward. And because of that, I'm not judging her. I'm hoping this was an uneducated decision and that now that she's informed it will never happen again.

As for the economic situation, I know all too well. I moved from south Florida myself almost four years ago to a place that's much worse than south Florida has thought of being for at least 60 years. I have dogs in my care that have horror stories that would make you cry. The average income for an entire family here is around $20,000. People see their dogs as a way to earn income. And if they can't sell them fast enough they kill them off so the mother will go into heat sooner and they can breed her again. It's more money in their pocket. When the mothers no longer 'earn their keep' they dump them in the mountainous areas to starve and die. I've got a sweet, gorgeous poodle right now thanks to that mentality.

I don't think anyone is obligated to obtain a pet in any specific way. But I do think there are responsible ways of getting them and not so responsible ways. Of course these are just my opinions and I know my feelings run much, much stronger than most people I know.

As for your friend, I believe she contacted me about helping her and told me that transports had refused to help her. I apologized and tried to explain the thought process for her. I also offered other suggestions that might help her get her pet to her.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I agree you need to get your puppy trained. I can tell you from personal experience Yorkies do not know they are little and will go after a big dog in a heartbeat. The Yorkie could get hurt or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs