Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times

Advertisements

I can vouch for this muzzle and this company. It has a panel in front of the nose piece and fits well - better than many basket muzzles.

It is a well made economical italian basket muzzle. My dogs are all trained to accept one even though they do not need it. It is easy to get on an hard for the dog to get off [but if they are trained slowly to accept itthey won't fight it, really] it worked great when I had an injured dog who would not leave the injury alone.

The picture makes it look like the front grill stands up but it is just removable. These folks are also good at helping with sizing. I would NOT rely on the sizing guide!

Italian Basket Dog Muzzles : Flexible Plastic Basket Dog Muzzle

Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote ]

Is this the same kind of muzzle that you're recommending ???

Dog Muzzle: Nylon Comfort Muzzles for Dogs at Drs. Foster and Smith

Pay close attention to the last paragraph in the item description...

Quote:
..." Not to be used for more than 20 minutes at a time. Do not leave dog unattended when using muzzle. Not recommended for warm weather. "

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-05-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I can vouch for this muzzle and this company. It has a panel in front of the nose piece and fits well - better than many basket muzzles.

It is a well made economical italian basket muzzle. My dogs are all trained to accept one even though they do not need it. It is easy to get on an hard for the dog to get off [but if they are trained slowly to accept itthey won't fight it, really] it worked great when I had an injured dog who would not leave the injury alone.

The picture makes it look like the front grill stands up but it is just removable. These folks are also good at helping with sizing. I would NOT rely on the sizing guide!

Italian Basket Dog Muzzles : Flexible Plastic Basket Dog Muzzle
I have one of those ^^^. They are great if your dog isn't aggressive. They're lightweight and they're inexpensive.
It's a good idea to have more than one on hand in case the strap breaks because they are all plastic.

I've also got a wire basket muzzle.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Ok - mine has a leather strap - but I would trust it more than a halti or gentle leader - mainly because what if the dog still breaks free or loose! Wire or leather would be a better choice for that- I have not had to deal with any serious aggression. I am not sure I would take on that liability.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I tried a gentle leader (Halti) on Ringo when he was going through his proactive rid the world of other male dogs phase. He HATED it and almost refused to walk with it on. And you know he loves his walks. My son hated it too and mysteriously it disappeared.

We ended up with a prong collar recommended by a trainer that we visited once. People look askew when your dog is wearing one of those too.

But we only had to use it for about two weeks and Ringo became a much better walker.

Somehow that has disappeared too. Hmmm.

Good luck finding the right collar or muzzle for Artie.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Thanks everyone, for all your information.

The issue of the muzzle and the Halti/Gentle Leader were actually for two separate issues.

The muzzle is for the barking.
The Halti/Gentle Leader is so that I can have more control walking him.

You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

But thanks most to maciesmom -- I never drink (I don't care for the taste of any liquor or wine) but need to be sedated while Artie's away so I'm willing to glug that whole bottle down in one shot! (ETA: Tried to rep yout but I've got to spread more around first.)

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thanks everyone, for all your information.

The issue of the muzzle and the Halti/Gentle Leader were actually for two separate issues.

The muzzle is for the barking.
The Halti/Gentle Leader is so that I can have more control walking him.

You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

But thanks most to maciesmom -- I never drink (I don't care for the taste of any liquor or wine) but need to be sedated while Artie's away so I'm willing to glug that whole bottle down in one shot! (ETA: Tried to rep yout but I've got to spread more around first.)
Sometimes we just have to laugh through our tears. It's the only way to keep going. If I gave you a chuckle then mission accomplished.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sometimes we just have to laugh through our tears. It's the only way to keep going. If I gave you a chuckle then mission accomplished.
xoxoxox

Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM

Oh, now this is all crazy. A muzzle to stop barking?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
closed for mod review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs