U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times

Advertisements

Two of my dogs love to ride in the car. I leave them when I do errands, etc., if the weather is reasonable. I have a quilt in the back of the car and they usually sleep after the initial excitement. Both are older- nine and 12. And either one would look quite menacing if any stranger tried to approach the car, never mind steal them. (They are both about 55 pounds and have impressive teeth).
A few times in the summer, I've left the car and a/c running with a dog in the car and used an extra key to lock the car. Again, no one could safely approach the car anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 AM

700 posts, read 1,672,601 times
There are printable flyers available on this site: Spread the Word - Fliers and Posters

Print them on nice, florescent paper...they still say if it's an emergency call the police and the store's manager if it is in a store parking lot. Advise the manager they have 5 minutes to return to the car before the police are called.

I do the same brightdoglover....they get locked in with the a/c on. I have a little sign for the windshield if I have run in a store..."please do not call the police, they are fine -- a/c is on." Usually one of the three is sitting with her nose to the vent and her long locks are blowing in the wind anyway.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,458,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
There are printable flyers available on this site: Spread the Word - Fliers and Posters
I actually have a bunch of those in my glove compartment for when I'm out and about.

I personally would never leave my dog in my car. The only time I ever would is when I'm stopping to get gas and have to go inside to pay, which takes but a minute. I live in Florida and it is way too hot down here 10 months out of the year to leave your dog in the car. Plus I'm way too paranoid someone would take my dog, even though he's a doberman.
My sister had a mellow lab once, and she would leave her in the car when they would go on trips. She lives in Alaska, so no heat, and had comforters in the back for her to lay on. Her dog now she leaves at home, with a sitter.

I guess if I lived in a cold environment with way less people, my feeling might change.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
My dogs locked me out once (car was running). When I stopped panicking I remembered I had an extra key in my purse, now I never go anywhere without 1 key in my pocket and 1 in my purse.

Also, most dogs love to go with their "person". Mine pout when I can't take them along and I don't think they mind a bit if it gets to be 1-2 hrs - they have a lot to look at.

They always stay home in the summer or any day where it's sunny and the car could get heated and when it gets extremely cold in the winter. BUT - I would report the guy that kept the dog in the trunk - I don't care what state it was!!!
My dad's dog actually "drove" his truck once. He left her in the car with the engine running; she got over to the driver's side, hit the gear shift and began to slowly inch along towards a tree, which stopped her joyride. I guess the lesson is to never leave your dog in the car with the engine running!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
My dad's dog actually "drove" his truck once. He left her in the car with the engine running; she got over to the driver's side, hit the gear shift and began to slowly inch along towards a tree, which stopped her joyride. I guess the lesson is to never leave your dog in the car with the engine running!
I've heard other stories similar to yours. In my case, I was picking up the neighbors mail so I drove in their driveway and ran to the mailbox (a few feet). In that short time, they managed to hit the door lock and I can see how they could land just right and hit the gear shift.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,379,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I set the emergency brake.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,748,582 times
Going through Canada a year ago we stopped for gas and I went to the restroom. While husband pumped gas (truck was off but key in ignition) the one dog stepped on the lock. Luckily he had an extra key in his wallet. We always shut the vehicle off and take the key no matter what the distance now.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,516,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Same thing here in Alaska; every other car or truck has a dog or dogs in it. What I absolutely hate (and they did pass a law against it) is when I see a pick-up truck with a dog/s in the back and sometimes they are not even leashed to something.

Our little Peke goes just about everywhere with us. Unless it's too cold she doesn't stay in car long at all and wears her sweater. In the summer, regardless of which one of our dogs we have with us, one of us waits in the car since I don't want the windows left open unless we are in it with them.
That is illegal in Massachusetts too AP and as far as I'm concerned, it should be in all 50 states. My parents had friends whose dog was in the back of the truck on a leash, fell out because the tailgate was down, and was dragged!!! It survived, but had to have a leg amputated. GEESUM!!! They were from Ohio and owned a huge horse farm and plenty of money. She (the wife) was just stupid.

It's illegal to have your kids in the back of a pick up in Mass. too for the same reason. I grew up being able to ride in the back of one and did on several occasions, but we're smarter as a society now. The animal care is lagging behind some though. We're catching up, but it's slow slogging that's for sure.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Going through Canada a year ago we stopped for gas and I went to the restroom. While husband pumped gas (truck was off but key in ignition) the one dog stepped on the lock. Luckily he had an extra key in his wallet. We always shut the vehicle off and take the key no matter what the distance now.
A way to NEVER have this problem again is to have an extra key made, drill a hole in the top large enough for a screw that holds your license plate on to your vehicle. Place the extra key behind the plate. You'll never get caught that way again. My dad taught me this and has saved me four times in the last 6 years!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I watched a man at a gas station let a dog out of the TRUNK of his car in Florida, no less.
He made the stop and let him out for a drink of water.......
It was way too hot to ever put a dog in the trunk.......Geez........
That's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or