U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM

15,121 posts, read 13,355,292 times

Advertisements

I have always had a house full of pets.....and vacuums never lasted more that a couple of years before I got a Dyson......BEST VACUUM EVER!

My Dyson is now 9 years old and still going strong!

I also use a carpet rake.....best thing ever......saves a lot of wear and tear on your vacuum.....not only does it pick up most of the hair.....it also helps loosen the dirt for a more efficient pick up. {also great for grooming damp carpet after a clean up}

A carpet rake is a must have.

How to Use a Carpet Rake | eHow

Quote:

A professional carpet rake or
groomer.

The carpet rake,
also known as a carpet groomer, is a valuable carpet cleaning tool. When a
carpet is wet, it brings the nap up for even drying. Professional carpet
cleaners use rakes as wide as 18 inches to agitate carpets prior to cleaning as
well as to work-in fabric protector and anti-static treatment chemicals during
post cleaning wrap-up.

Home owners favor the 12-inch-wide models. They
fit easily in pantries and are less cumbersome to use. According to Groom
Industries Inc., a Salt Lake City manufacturer of carpet rakes, raking a carpet
prior to maintenance vacuuming will loosen embedded dirt for a more efficient
cleaning, while post vacuum raking gives carpets that "like new" look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 PM

737 posts, read 2,240,175 times
I got the Shark, no bags. It does okay. Bet vac is when DH uses the shop vac. Got rid of all floor rugs, not worth the effort if you've got canine family members... easy choice there. We now have basically, 4 vacuums on both floors but the only working thing is plug DH into the shop vac and get the heck out of the way. Clean... for about five minutes.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 PM

43,403 posts, read 52,393,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Why are you all grooming you carpets instead of your dogs?

No vacuum cleaner works well with pet hair. Comb your dog with a furminator and see the hair that comes off your dog! It's no wonder vacuums fail.
Disagree.
I have furminated three dogs' worth of fur off my smooth collie only to see her shed everywhere anyway.
The problem with the Furminator is that it strips undercoat, but it is her outer coat that comes off more and does that flyaway cat hair thing.
Worked way better on my rough collie.
I still think my Dyson is the lifesaver...buy it at Costco...got mine for less than $400.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:27 PM

13 posts, read 57,706 times
Default Dyson AnimalDc 25

I own one of these if you have dense Carpet like I have it does not do the job I'm putting it up for sale and Also my Oreck XL looking for a better vacuum for dirt and pet hair.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,544,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
So... we've gone through a Hoover, a Dirt Devil, and a Kenmore in the last few years... currently we're using an old Panasonic on loan from my mom. I'm getting sick of this I want a vac that really picks up hair and dosen't stop sucking (or would it be that it starts sucking? Lol).

Anyways, we are on a super tight budget. We are getting a tax return, and we've decided to set aside $200 for a new vac and $100 to get the carpets cleaned. However, in doing some research online I've come to find that you can buy your own steam cleaner for around $100. Sounds a lot better to me than paying to rent a cleaner every so often and rushing to move furniture so that we can get the whole house done in 24 hours so as not to be charged for a second day...

This is what I'm thinking... For a vac, I've singled out the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser. For the steamer, I'm looking at the Bissel 2080. Dose anyone have either of these? I've read many mixed reviews about the Bissel Pet Hair vac but for my price range it seems to be the best option. I've read that Dyson makes the best pet hair vac, but there's no way I can shell out the nearly $600 for it.

Those of you that have the Bissel vac, dose it have any filters or other parts that need to be replaced regularly? How well dose it work for edging? How long dose it last? Dose it *really* suck up all that hair?

Finally, as the owner of a very sheddy dog, should I simply expect to have to replace the vac every year?
I would suggest not wasting your money on buying a carpet cleaner. I've tried almost every big box carpet cleaner solution on the market as well as rented both rug doctor and bissel green machine and all are complete garbage in my opinion. unless you want to shell out the money for a commercial model i would say dont waste your time. they are time consuming, frustrating to work and dont clean that well in my experience.

you can find cheap carpet cleaners. my dad hires like russel martin who charges like $300 to do one room. i got my entire house cleaned for $114 cash, a 1200 sq foot house 2 floors with stairs and one room was really bad as far as stains and such. there's some good deals and guys to be found on craiglist for cheap. Get it done twice a year and you will be way happier with this solution than with a store bought machine.

As far as vacuums agian I've tried the hoover wind tunnel t series, dirt devils, sharks, dysons, the whole lot. My best vacuum to date was a $150 Bissel Heavy Duty vacuum i bought from walmart The thing does a fanstasitc job gets stuff no other vacuums would. Hard floor setting and multiple levels of carpet, the hand tool is absolutely amazing. Id basically given up on using hand tools as it never gets hair off couches or clothes. My dog has very short course hair that literally weaves itself into fabrics, heck my gf even gets like splinters of his hair in her feet at times. This hand tool gets every last hair off my couch. Great warranty, and best vacuum Ive ever had beats out models 2 and 3 times the price.

Amazon.com - Bissell Heavy Duty Vacuum - Household Upright Vacuums

I've only had mine about 6 months but works very good still. My only complaint is when you really want to clean it well its kind of a hassle taking it apart and cleaning the cyclones or cyclonics or whatever you call them but you really only need to do that every couple weeks though probably the more often the better

Here's a couple youtube reviews and showcases of it...

Bissel Heavy Duty Vacuum Cleaner Product Review - Better Than Dyson Fraction Of Price - YouTube

bissell heavy duty - YouTube

Bissell Heavy Duty Vacuum - YouTube

Bissel Heavy Duty Vacuuum Review After Owning & Using 6 Months Better Than Dyson, Shark IMHO - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or