U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,781,834 times

Advertisements

If you follow the link to the Washington State Vet School, you will also see a large number of OTHER drugs to which dogs with this mutation are sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

556 posts, read 1,828,215 times
Almost 6 years ago, a trusted country vet shared the dosage amounts for using the cattle grade injectible Ivomec as monthly heartworm preventative for our dogs. She was careful to advise this wasn't approved as a heartworm preventative for dogs, and that some breeds have a predisposition to adverse reactions (none of which we owned and she knew this). She knew we had multiple dogs, and were very involved in rescue, and any savings we'd see by making a change like this, could be pointed toward our rescue work.

We pay 39.95 for the Ivomec at Tractor Supply and it expires (5 year expiration period) before we can use it all with our seven dogs. We stir in into peanut butter or cream cheese, and slather it on a cracker or piece of bread for each dog each month.

With her information and the information we were able to find online - we felt comfortable changing to this. Every year, all of our dogs test negative for heartworms and have for over 5 years now.

I'm always very careful sharing 'our' choice for heartworm preventative for our dogs - because this should be a decision each dog owner makes, only after becoming fully informed and annual heartworm testing should continue for dogs, no matter the preventative method chosen.

Last edited by Rottnboys; 03-09-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,631,447 times
What is annoying is that companies charge so much for ivermectinas a heartworm preventative, when in the equine world, ivermectin is a cheap de-wormer!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,881,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
What is annoying is that companies charge so much for ivermectinas a heartworm preventative, when in the equine world, ivermectin is a cheap de-wormer!
But you can't really compare the two (canine vs. equine) on a like for like basis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly defending what they do charge, but what I'm saying is it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

Horse wormer is a disgusting paste that comes in a tube. At best, it has some flavouring. We don't expect our horses to like it, best we can hope for is not too much fuss. Dosage is up to the person who's administering, 100 lbs body weight increments are marked on the tube, that's it. So, from a manufacturing point of view it's a "one size fits all" solution. Dead simple.

Canine version is different. It's size specific, so each size range requires different ratios. And isn't Heartguard a mix of ivermectin and another product (it escapes me)? It has to be flavoured enough to be palatable as well as given a solid form. The cost of manufacturing such is going to be vastly different.

A vet I used stopped carrying Heartguard and started carrying the comparable Virbac product because it's cheaper - but obviously it's not as palatable and all her clients revolted because the dogs "didn't like it" and she had to go back to stocking Heartguard. So as long as you get people who think their dogs need to "like" medication... you'll get companies manufacturing expensive flavourful stuff.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
It is now possible to test to see if the dog has the genetic mutation responsible for ivermectin sensitivity

MDR1 Gene Mutation/Heartguard/Ivermectin WARNING

The Silken Windhounds like Dazzle also can suffer from this genetic mutation so the breeders do test the puppies before they are sold. The test is called MDR1 and the can have it, be carriers or be free of it. Dazzle is MDR1 clear meaning he does not carry it. If I am not mistaken the MDR1 carriers can also be sensitive to some of the anesthesia drugs as when Jazz was a puppy my vet was concerned about this issue in her being she is part border collie.He was concerned about anesthesia as well as ivermectin.

I have a friend with a sheltie that is MDR1 and almost died from Ivermectin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or