Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
boy howdy, let me tell you, somebody around here, and in order to protect the guilty i won't name names, was a very bad boy at his acupuncture treatment today.

i don't think it was the application of the needles so much as the fact that the vet had to stand behind him to reach his head and neck and then tried to go under him to reach his legs, but somebody was having none of it. (he who shan't be named never likes it when vets approach him from the rear).

the vet was able to get what looked like four needles applied to his head, three to his shoulders, and then three to his feet... but he had been trying to get an additional one on his shoulder and then another on his foot. then, in the fifteen minutes that mr. bad boy was supposed to stand still and let the needles do their magic, he instead repeatedly tried to jump off the table and so doing shook off another needle.

[i asked the vet if he had ever had another dog as difficult as this one and he said he has only been doing the acupuncture for a little while but, yes, this dog was his most difficult so far! (haha!)]

the vet did say the most important needles were still in place at the end of the treatment, but, i don't know, it all seems kind of hit-or-miss to me. we are scheduled again for next week, though, so we'll see how it goes.

as for the cortisone shots, i did ask about those. the vet said that he tries to stay away from them because of its side effects since its a steroid.

i also asked him if herniated discs ever self-heal, and he said sometimes they do if the pain aspect is managed.

so i think if the acupuncture doesn't work, i will have further discussions about the cortisone shots... i.e., what exactly are the side effects, and do the benefits outway the risk? because i really don't like the surgery option.

and, actually, barnaby is not seeming to feel a lot of pain right now... he's sleeping on his back, wanting to walk/exercise, isn't lethargic, moves his limbs and head freely. but he is still waking every couple of hours during the night (which is killing me!), so i know something still isn't right. plus, i have stay on the watch for the loss-of-control/mobility issues.

so i guess it's wait until next week and see what happens...
given how temps are taken, etc. ..... i'd say he's got a good reason for THAT......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,319 times
haha! that's EXACTLY why he doesn't like it! plus, they always sneak up on him from the back to give him shots and they always shave the base of his tail to take his blood pressure! i'd try to bite someone, too, if somebody kept doing all these things to me...

here's another tip for someone experiencing the same situation: if the vet shaves your dog's legs for monitoring during the MRI/anesthesia, DON'T remove the surgical wrap as soon as you get home. your dog may have razor burn, and if you take the wrap off too soon, they may lick at it so much they may end up with an e-collar. (sorry, barn! i told you to stop licking!)

Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I hope the acupuncture works. I would have been horrified if it had been my dog who jumped off the table with needles sticking out!! Hopefully the next session will go easier.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM

luckily, he didn't actually make it off the table... because i was standing right beside him holding him back and physically blocking him with my body.

the procedure began with the neurologist, who is also certified in acupuncture, inserting the needles. initially, the vet tech was holding him from the front and the neurlogist was working from behind him, but barnaby didn't respond well to that, so then i held him from the front and the neurologist continued to insert the needles.

then, everyone left the room for the 15-minute period for the acupuncture to work. except for me... i stood right beside him and literally held him on the table because he kept trying to jump off. this part is where he shook the needle off, so i just picked it up off the table and moved it away from him.

a more docile dog would probably do better with acupuncture than barnaby.

in other news, today barnaby had his appointment for his regular shots, and while we were there i decided to get an opinion from his regular vet about the proposed solutions to this problem (to date: surgical, acupuncture, do nothing).

his regular vet, a vet who has treated barnaby since he was little, was of the opinion that a cortisone shot was a darn fine idea. he did say that he thought acupuncture works, but he said in his opinion cortisone shots are the best medicinal option for herniated discs and that the side effects from it being a steroid only kick in over a continued course of shots.

he was actually a little surprised that cortisone shots had not been suggested as a recommended treatment.

i also asked whether they hurt, and he said only if they are injected into a joint without the proper local anesthetic, that injected into the back they hurt no more than any other shot.

then he gave me about 10 seconds to think about it, which was probably smart... no way to overthink it if someone doesn't give you time.

in sum, his idea about treatment is to combine the one cortisone shot with neurontin (which barnaby is already on) to see if a significant improvement occurs rapidly, i.e., if this works, i should see a difference by tomorrow night.

also, another tip to anyone in this position: i asked the regular vet if a herniated disc in the neck would show up on regular x-ray, and he said the only way to tell is to do one because the neck is such a curved area, it might or might not, you might have to do an MRI to really see that area. imo, it would be worth it to pay the 60-70 dollars for a regular x-ray to try before you pay the (what cost us) 1800 dollars for the MRI. plus, with a regular x-ray, you avoid anesthesia and its risks.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM

also, i was in the room when the cortisone shot was administered, and i would agree that it seemed no more painful than any other shot he's ever been given and less painful than some.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
also, i was in the room when the cortisone shot was administered, and i would agree that it seemed no more painful than any other shot he's ever been given and less painful than some.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy and dramatic improvement. I think you just convinced me to always get a second opinion if I have even the slightest doubt.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 AM

update: i guess the cortisone shot really is the way to go. barnaby slept through the night for the first time last night in over a month and a half. (actually, to be honest, it is possible that he awoke, but he didn't get out of bed and roll around on the floor multiple times at 12pm, and 2am, and 3am, and 4am as he's been doing.) we believe chronic pain was causing him to wake up so frequently, so this is significant.

it's too early to tell about the loss of control of his legs that he was experiencing, but i would definitely say sleeping through the night again, if even for only one night, was a big improvement.

if i remember i will come back in a couple of weeks and post again about his condition and whether he is continuing to show improvement.

thank you again, everyone, for your kindness during the last two weeks.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:17 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I'm so happy to hear of this latest improvement! Hopefully it will continue. One of my cats used to get periodic cortisone shots for a skin condition. The improvement was always immediate. I know my father had to get cortisone shots for one condition or other, too. I guess they can really be helpful with various ailments.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 510 times
I am having lesser similar problem with my 14 year old Shih Tzu. He has been on several meds and they all make him more wobbly. One thing for sure, no vet is ever going to give my baby another innoculation. Those serums stay in in a dog for years and shots can be very detrimental to spine, etc. My groomer (used to work for a vet) enlightened me on that one. After doing a little homework found she was totally on target. There is a test they can perform and innoculation are only supposed to be given to healthy dogs. Mine is due and plan on getting a document signed by my veterinarian for boarding next month. One other thing. Power paws socks help my guy a lot but the WIGGLELESS jacket was a waste. Does not give ENOUGH SUPPORT WHERE NEEDED. Anyway, we ended up with seizures here after teeth extractions. Dog was starving himself to death and landed in hospital. It was pitiful. Right now we are good except for spinal issues.
Cortesteroid injection seems the route to go when needed. Hope things stay on an up swing for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs