Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 18,112 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a family from Denmark, which are thinking about going to USA for three months or more. We will either settle down, maybe in Florida, or travel around the USA in a big autocamper. The family consist of me, my husband, and our four girls, about 6, 8, 14 and 16, when we go to the states.
My problem is, that I cannot bear to leave my two dogs behind. I really, really want to bring them with me on our trip. It is small dogs, Coton de Tulear, the french style.
But is it possible to travel with dogs? Are they allowed anywhere? Can we bring them to tourist apartments, Hotel rooms?
Can we visit Las Vegas with the dogs? Can we go to Hollywood with our dogs? where can we have some exiting experiences, and at the same time have the dogs with us?
Is there a wonderfull kennel somewhere, where we could safely put the dogs, when we live the wild citylife?
Do you have some advice?
There are many questions. I hope that someone will answer some of them.
Yours sincerely
Ida Kristensen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times
I'm pretty sure there are quarantine laws before you can bring your dog here. While dogs are allowed in many hotels/restaurants/stores in many parts of the US, others are not as welcoming. Most kennels require proof of vaccinations before even considering taking on your dog. Given that you'll be traveling with such a large family, it's probably best to leave your dog at home since the last thing you need to worry about is finding dog-friendly places around the US.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
as far as i know there aren't quarantine laws for dogs coming into the u.s., as long as they're vaccinated and you're not going to hawaii or guam. they quarantine animals in those places because they don't have rabies there.

the only places i know of that do quarantines are countries that don't have rabies (like the UK). and in some of those places, you can get around the quarantines if your dogs are vaccinated and you jump through some bureaucratic hoops. i don't know if that's the case in hawaii.

since you're from denmark, which doesn't have rabies, you may not even have to have your dog vaccinated (although you might then face quarantines coming back!)

here's a site that lists pet-friendly hotels around the country: Dog, Cat & Other Pet Friendly Hotels at Petswelcome.com

a lot of chains and smaller hotels allow pets.

here's the CDC's page on bringing dogs into the US: CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation

some states have laws against bringing dogs to cafes, even ones with outdoor seating. that's worth researching when you're traveling with a dog. you might find a cafe that disregards the state law, but you might not.

as far as kennels go, you'll just have to research what there is in the area where you'll be visiting. same with finding dog friendly activities. you definitely will find that there are things you can't do with a dog along pretty much everywhere you go. it all depends on what you want to do, really.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 PM

93 posts, read 457,329 times
This site might offer a few ideas: DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners

Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I'm pretty sure there are quarantine laws before you can bring your dog here. While dogs are allowed in many hotels/restaurants/stores in many parts of the US, others are not as welcoming. Most kennels require proof of vaccinations before even considering taking on your dog. Given that you'll be traveling with such a large family, it's probably best to leave your dog at home since the last thing you need to worry about is finding dog-friendly places around the US.
Well, as far as I know, the dogs should not be in quarantine, but of course have vaccinations, as they allready have.
Thanks for your reply

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Groar and jm24, thanks you for your links and comments.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:41 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,665 times
Ida,

If you will need the proper serology done in order to return the dogs to Denmark without quarantine, you're looking at some pretty serious lead times.

If your dogs are not vaccinated against rabies already, you will need to have that done. Then you will need to wait (a month I think, but that needs checking) and have them tested before you leave Denmark so their antibody levels can be documented in their passports. (If they do not have EU passports, get them. It makes life easier. They're usually free via the Dept of Agriculture or similar.) If the antibody levels are not documented before you leave, you will not be allowed to have the dogs return without a full quarantine.

The difficult part is not getting them into the US - all they check is for rabies and a health certificate. The hard part is getting them back to Denmark.

You may be looking at six months of regular testing to document antibody levels - six months is the time frame I'm familiar for other rabies free countries. What is then permitted varies from country to country - ie, in some, they STILL must do a short quarantine period in a government controlled facility before they are released for home quarantine. It is very important to realise that the antibody test will not release the dog from quarantine entirely. What it enables you to do is quarantine the dog at home - and the rules about the dogs being able to be walked, contact with other dogs, etc. must be carefully adhered to.

You need to check if there is still a minimal quarantine upon returning and you'll want to know what the fees are. I suggest you're sitting down when they tell you.

It is not beyond the wit of man to do this, but you must follow all the Danish regulations to the letter. There is no room for error.

Mod cut (Apologies.... "Good luck")

Last edited by FiveHorses; 03-10-2010 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: English only.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
I can't imagine subjecting the dogs to traveling in cargo...Dogs generally are not permitted in the cabin on trans-Atlantic flights. Even tiny ones.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,027 times
After reading the above book on traveling with long distances with your favorite fur child,how it informative you all are..
The other side is you cannot just leave a dog in a hotel room for long periods of time while your out enjoying sights..The weather is another factor, Las Vegas is in the 100 degree most of the summer.You will run into much of what I've printed with an rv too.Most of them won't allow pets, and what about a car..Towing is another thing.
Do your sweet fur kid a favor and leave him home with grandma and everyone will be happier..
Good luck with your journney and enjoy the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs