U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,090,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just ordered it.

And I have a clicker that I've never once used.

The leash-pulling video wouldn't play for me -- I tried a bunch of times. Oh well.
I think you'll learn a lot from her DVD. She really makes the "how to" clear.

Artie's going to love all this attention. Dogs love to learn and they love to please their owners. Clickers make learning like a game for dogs.

And, they love treats, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,347,133 times
I SAY NEVER....it's all about patience & making it fun for the dog.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,610,334 times

Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,121,886 times
Dawn I have been up in Reno for a few days so am only getting to this now. As others have said dogs are never too old to learn new things. Some one mentioned the book " when Pigs Fly" I got when I got Dazzle knowing that Sighthounds can be difficult as unlike the herding breeds I am use to they do not live to please people but rather like to please themselves. They get very bored and shut down when training is not kept short and fun. That book gave me lots of insight.

I would say you need to try to relax when you work with Artie as he will sense any anxiety you feel and he will think " Oh mom is anxious something is up and he too will become anxious" So try to relax and make any training fun as if you are the most fun thing Artie can imagine he will be paying attention to you and not to other dogs or people. When Jazz was young the most fun thing in the world to her was playing with me and her ball so I could take her out to a park and get to her to ignore everything else in the world by playing with her and her ball. The only time she got pissey was if another dog ran over and tried to steal her ball that is a huge NO NO in her world. If she was away from me and I wanted her back calling her and showing her that ball when she looked at me had her flying to my side leaving what ever had her interest behind. Dash was usually laying in the shade watching Jazz as I am sure he felt she was 100% crazy loving that stupid ball so much. On walks when I would see another dog coming our way I could show her the ball and she would look at nothing else and once we passed the other dog she would get the ball and carry it for awhile. Heaven for her! The dogs and I also do obedience drills on all walks and they never know when I will ask them to do something during a walk . Walks are more fun that way and they have to use their brains rather then just plod along. For me it is walking and training rolled into one. Training is an all day event at my house not a time I set aside. You want a treat or to play with a toy well how about doing a trick for it?

My sister has the dog aggression issues with her beast Bailey and is always amazed that when I visit ( they are in Portland Or) Bailey is a different dog around me and I think it is because I am not anxious as I have dealt with all of this in Jazz and I also make sure when I walk or play with Bailey that we have a ton of fun. She sees me as her fun auntie same as my nephews do!

I think training a dog is a never ending thing that continues their whole life and that any one that goes through an obedience class and thinks that is it no more training is crazy. Training should be part of every day.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dawn I have been up in Reno for a few days so am only getting to this now. As others have said dogs are never too old to learn new things. Some one mentioned the book " when Pigs Fly" I got when I got Dazzle knowing that Sighthounds can be difficult as unlike the herding breeds I am use to they do not live to please people but rather like to please themselves. They get very bored and shut down when training is not kept short and fun. That book gave me lots of insight.

I would say you need to try to relax when you work with Artie as he will sense any anxiety you feel and he will think " Oh mom is anxious something is up and he too will become anxious" So try to relax and make any training fun as if you are the most fun thing Artie can imagine he will be paying attention to you and not to other dogs or people. When Jazz was young the most fun thing in the world to her was playing with me and her ball so I could take her out to a park and get to her to ignore everything else in the world by playing with her and her ball. The only time she got pissey was if another dog ran over and tried to steal her ball that is a huge NO NO in her world. If she was away from me and I wanted her back calling her and showing her that ball when she looked at me had her flying to my side leaving what ever had her interest behind. Dash was usually laying in the shade watching Jazz as I am sure he felt she was 100% crazy loving that stupid ball so much. On walks when I would see another dog coming our way I could show her the ball and she would look at nothing else and once we passed the other dog she would get the ball and carry it for awhile. Heaven for her! The dogs and I also do obedience drills on all walks and they never know when I will ask them to do something during a walk . Walks are more fun that way and they have to use their brains rather then just plod along. For me it is walking and training rolled into one. Training is an all day event at my house not a time I set aside. You want a treat or to play with a toy well how about doing a trick for it?

My sister has the dog aggression issues with her beast Bailey and is always amazed that when I visit ( they are in Portland Or) Bailey is a different dog around me and I think it is because I am not anxious as I have dealt with all of this in Jazz and I also make sure when I walk or play with Bailey that we have a ton of fun. She sees me as her fun auntie same as my nephews do!

I think training a dog is a never ending thing that continues their whole life and that any one that goes through an obedience class and thinks that is it no more training is crazy. Training should be part of every day.
Jan, thank you.

I read this. I memorized this. I absorbed this.

I don't *think* I'm anxious with Artie (at least not that I'm aware of) but I will most definitely (a) make our walks fun... with training thrown in too, and (b) make him do a trick for everything, and (c) not choose "a time" for training, but *constantly* trick-and-treat train. (OH! We should copyright that! Trick-and-Treat Training, not just for Halloween!)

I'm picking him up first thing Monday morning. After I hug and kiss him to within an inch of his life, I'm going to make him sit.

Thank you!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM

556 posts, read 1,828,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm picking him up first thing Monday morning. After I hug and kiss him to within an inch of his life, I'm going to make him sit.
DandJ - we gave our boy a hall-pass the first day he was back home....

I know you MUST be counting the hours...Artie on the other hand likely feels as if he's been on some big adventure...and if he's had a big adventure - surely you must have too?!!!...

Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,579,301 times
I don't know how old "To OLD " is but I am obviously there....the dawgs seem to learn well at any age....me ....not so much...

1st order of business is to train Maxwell D Dawg [Sheltie] how to walk on a leash....clip the leash on and he freezes....I could leave him out in theyard for a week with his leash on and he wouldn't move an inch

Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
DandJ - we gave our boy a hall-pass the first day he was back home....

I know you MUST be counting the hours...Artie on the other hand likely feels as if he's been on some big adventure...and if he's had a big adventure - surely you must have too?!!!...
You put a huge smile on my face! You gave me PERMISSION to just love on him for the day before starting the quest to good behavior. Thank you for that. I needed someone to tell me that was OK.

And you're right about the adventure. I was able to spend last weekend in NYC without a care in the world, without wondering if Artie was OK with his babysitter. I knew that there was nothing that I could do to change his situation until Monday, so I was able to just let my mind wander and get on with life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I don't know how old "To OLD " is but I am obviously there....the dawgs seem to learn well at any age....me ....not so much...

1st order of business is to train Maxwell D Dawg [Sheltie] how to walk on a leash....clip the leash on and he freezes....I could leave him out in theyard for a week with his leash on and he wouldn't move an inch
I'm also too old! LOL! Funny though, I went to buy wine today, and I got carded. I'm turning 45 in May and the lady at checkout couldn't believe it -- she called all the employees over to see this "little child" who's going to be 45. I told them, though, that I feel like I'm 120, so it all balances out somehow... I look like a kid, I feel like an octogenarian, and in between the two is my real age.

And also in between the two is your Max and my Artie. Maxwell doesn't move, Artie moves too much.

Nothing's perfect, is it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs