Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I noticed that there is a free video on her website about leash pulling, too.
Seriously?!

I'm going to play with my friend's puppies now; then I'm going to peruse her website and order the Perfect Paws DVD.

I'm feeling so good about this. I'm spending $$ but it's money well-spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,424 times
DandJ - I agree - never too old to learn new tricks - neither us or our dog(s)

As you've laid out well here in your post - the bigger opportunity for learning and adapting a better leadership approach with Artie - is more YOURS than his. His only learning curve will be accepting that you've decided to relieve him of his poor attempts to be the 'lead' of the two of you when you are out and about together. And he'll have to learn the consequences you will have for him, should he stray from the new teachings.

If your husband and neighbor both have a better/more desired result walking with Artie, maybe let them demonstrate and you observe from a position where Artie can't see you.....watch how they hold their shoulders, how they position themselves in relation to Artie, how they react when encountering anything that Artie is adverse to....etc.....then work to apply that to your handling of Artie.

The VERY best to you DandJ.....also I have really enjoyed reading "When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs" - it's a good read for those of us with "When Pigs Fly" dogs I have acquired a small library of books related to working with dogs who are a bit of a challenge

Any updates on how Mr. Artie is doing?....

Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
dawn, bailey is 5 and is still learning new stuff..... i suspect that they are like us in that their brains can be a use it or lose it proposition.....

still got my work cut out for me with dave though...... i see some of the same behaviours with him when we are out that you describe with artie..... it is COMPLETELY fear based with dave..... he just doesn't have a whole lot of confidence in himself.... he is 16 months old now and has been in our family for 6 months and i DO see baby steps every now and then..... also keep reminding myself that bailey was about 2 or 2-1/2 or so before i saw her get her "grownup dog" confidence.....

patience and time.... and consistency......

been sending good karma to you and artie during his incarceration....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
I suggest a group training class, provided the instructor knows what they're doing. I was fortunate to get a highly recommended trainer at Petsmart (I know, I know...) so I knew TB and I were in good hands.

Above all, it'll help with socializing, which will help to cure at least 50% of Artie's problems...

Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
group training is good, but you need to work on his aggression issues first.

i'd suggest at least one one on one session with a trainer, maybe one who also does group classes. they can help you work out a plan so that artie can get to the point where he can be in a group class without being a distraction or danger to the other dogs and owners. do it in your home, if possible, because sometimes dogs will behave differently in other environments. although when i took sadie in for a consultation, we did it at the shelter where the trainer was based. that was good for her because i had the opportunity to show the trainer how sadie reacted to dogs, and we were able to practice defusing tense meetings with real dogs (although of course those are like 1 in 30 for her and she didn't have any actual tense meetings that day) that might not work for artie though, since it sounds like he has a more serious aggression problem than sadie.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Rottnboys: Thanks! I have watched them and they hold themselves no different than I do -- if anything, my husband is the most tense of all of us -- so it's a matter of Artie's perception, I think. Thank you, too, for the book suggestion -- I'm going to order that one too. I figure that the more I learn, the easier it will be for Artie to catch on!

Artie's prison guard told me that he's doing well, eating well, and is just fine. I don't believe that for a second -- any of it -- and I'm sure he's just telling me that so that I don't worry for five more days. Five... more... days. And then my boy is back. AND I'M THE BOSS!

latetotheparty: Thank you! All of us -- you, me, Artie, and Davey -- are going to get this!

MAtheBanker: After Artie understands that he has to listen to what I tell him, we're going to do just that! Thanks!

groar: We've had a behaviorist, but I think that your idea of having a session (or seven!) in an environment where Artie can SEE other dogs would be a HUGE benefit so that the trainer can show me how to divert Artie's attention. I'm going to look into that, most definitely! Thanks!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Here's some more Jean Donaldson training material. It should give you some idea of what her reputation is.

Jean Donaldson - Tawzer Dog Videos (http://www.tawzerdogvideos.com/Jean-Donaldson.htm - broken link)

Quote:
PERFECT PAWS IN 5 DAYS Featuring JEAN DONALDSON’S MODERN DOG TRAINING METHODS

"Jean Donaldson is the BEST - - everyone who dreams of having a well-trained dog should get this DVD.” - Dr. Nicholas Dodman, Director of Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

"Jean is a phenomenon. She embodies everything we stand for in animal welfare and the retention of dogs in their homes. I am thrilled to see the Trainer to the Trainers addressing the general audience at last.” - Ed Sayres, President and CEO, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - ASPCA

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-09-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
jean donaldson is great, although her writing is a little dry. i really like her book "culture clash". i think part of my finding her dry is due to the fact that i'd just read "the other end of the leash", which is written in a very conversational style, while donaldson's book is more straightforward information. i haven't seen her videos but i'm sure they're good too.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
jean donaldson is great, although her writing is a little dry. i really like her book "culture clash". i haven't seen her videos but i'm sure they're good too.
The video really teaches you how to clicker train.

It's over 2 1/2 hours long and it's broken down into 5 classes. It is done with a class room full of people and dogs so you can see the techniques. The best part is that you can repeat until you get it... and re-watch until you (we people) and your dog both know what you're doing.

It's the best training video that I've found to teach us how to train our dogs.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The video really teaches you how to clicker train.

It's over 2 1/2 hours long and it's broken down into 5 classes. It is done with a class room full of people and dogs so you can see the techniques. The best part is that you can repeat until you get it... and re-watch until you (we people) and your dog both know what you're doing.

It's the best training video that I've found to teach us how to train our dogs.
I just ordered it.

And I have a clicker that I've never once used.

The leash-pulling video wouldn't play for me -- I tried a bunch of times. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs