Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am interested in fostering a dog and was looking for some feedback from others who have. I had 2 dogs growing up but not as an adult. I work from home so have time and would like to help plus see how having the company is. I would be limited to a small dog so I hoping that would not be an issue but was wondering if there are things I need to consider. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
The specifics of fostering - who pays for what, what exactly is expected of you, household requirements (like a securely fenced yard), etc. are all going to vary to a degree from organisation to organisation.

You're probably best off doing local research - what rescue groups are out there (incl. breed specific if you're partial to a particular breed) where you live and what each group is looking for in terms of foster homes. Most rescues have websites so do a bit of trawling around and see which feels like it would be the best fit.

For a new fosterer, I think it's really important that you go with an organisation that has all its policies spelled out: ie, if the dog has to go to the vet, who is responsible for getting it there? What is expected for you to provide for the dog - bowls, bedding, toys? What happens in the case of it not working out? Are you ok with not knowing how long or short the dog will be with you, or do you want a more specific time frame? These things probably won't be on the websites, but a phone call or an email should get the ball rolling.

While it might seem as if you're being a bit pedantic, you're not. The more clearly things are spelled out at the outset, the less room there is for misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I think its great you want to foster a dog rather than buy a new pup. The dog will be most greatful for a loving home.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM

161 posts, read 563,536 times
i have been fostering for 10 months now and love it! i am getting my 8th this weekend. the rescue group i work with is very up front about what they cover and what i would be expected to cover and a contract setting this out was signed.

it is very rewarding picking up a starved, abused, neglected dog and turning that dog into someone's perfect family pet.

read up on problems and how to correct them so you wont be overwhelmed. my first foster was totally unpotty trained AND she was a chewer. so it was a bit stressful at first.

also, it is helpful if the organization you are working with has a network that you can use. talking to others who have been there done that is sooo helpful. when one of my fosters drove me crazy with his howling during crate training, i was relieved that he wasnt as bad as some else's foster. that dog was upstairs in the crate when she left for work. when she came home, the crate was upside down on the first floor and the dog was still inside!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE fostering.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
i have been fostering for 10 months now and love it! i am getting my 8th this weekend. the rescue group i work with is very up front about what they cover and what i would be expected to cover and a contract setting this out was signed.

it is very rewarding picking up a starved, abused, neglected dog and turning that dog into someone's perfect family pet.

read up on problems and how to correct them so you wont be overwhelmed. my first foster was totally unpotty trained AND she was a chewer. so it was a bit stressful at first.

also, it is helpful if the organization you are working with has a network that you can use. talking to others who have been there done that is sooo helpful. when one of my fosters drove me crazy with his howling during crate training, i was relieved that he wasnt as bad as some else's foster. that dog was upstairs in the crate when she left for work. when she came home, the crate was upside down on the first floor and the dog was still inside!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE fostering.

wow ... that was one DETERMINED dog.......

Old 03-12-2010, 06:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Wow thank you for your thoughts and help. I never thought about having the terms on paper. I had thought from a little research I have done most do pay for the expenses of care for the animal.
Fivehorses thanks you gave me a lot of things to think about.
Spritle I hope that dog in the cage is ok. That is scary. It is really nice of you to do this so often too.
Skel thanks.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
I think it is great you are putting thought into fostering! It's definitely something you need to think over. Your schedule will change and you will have a little furry soul depending on you. There is an emotional level to consider. We are sad with ever animal that leaves our home, but yet happy for them. Adoption can be emotionally tough. You have to remind yourself, that you are only providing another animal a chance of getting foster by you if you help your current foster find a home.

I would ask questions from the organizations regarding how long is a typical foster experience for them? Also what happens if you have an emergency and/or have to go out of town, do they provide respite (usually short interval of rest or relief) care? What happens if the dog is returned to the organization, does that mean he/she comes back to you? You may even offer to start fostering as a "respite care provider" which could help slowly emerge you into the group and fostering.

We have fostered on/off for 3 years...which is a drop in the bucket compared to many people on CD. Our fosters have been dogs we came across on our own that were dumped or strays. Fortunately for us, we have several connections in the animal welfare arena where we live. We have been able to get the dogs and the one cat we had onto Petfinder. We also send out a mass email that is passed on. We utilize a low cost s/n clinic when we can and our own personal vet for other issues. We have taken on all the costs b/c we are not affiliated with a specific group, but thankfully we are in a fortunate position to do so.

We keep planning on joining in with a large group around here for purposes of outreach adoptions, but we end up finding another foster on our own. The group we want to join up with pulls from the shelter after tem permanent testing. We like providing foster to large adult dogs b/c they are too often over looked and there are not enough fosters for them.

You may even check with your local shelter. We have a friend who fosters the sick pets so that they don't have to be put down and can remain in adoption.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:31 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
I foster my SIL's dog when he is deployed with the military. I fostered the dog for a 1 1/2 years and will be fostering the dog again in a month, as my SIL will be deployed again. My SIL appreciates me taking care of his dog, and I love the dog. Fostering is so worth it, except prepare to get really attached to the animal you are fostering.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
I've been fostering for several years now since I started working at home and I stipulated I couldn't take certain dogs because my own just didn't like them. They have a thing about long haired dogs and space being a premium I could only take smaller dogs like JRTs and puppies. I have had up to seven foster dogs in my home at one time along with my own 4 and they always got along well....but I won't sugar coat it - you will occassionally get a dog from hell that will bring you to tears. I only had three dogs that were problems in the entire time I fostered. I had a JRT who literally distroyed my house and and my patience. She tore down and destroyed all of my front window blinds, scaled the handles of the kitchen drawers and got up on the counter knocking stuff off and breaking it and was able to scale the fence - that's right - climb it. I tried crating her, but she would jump up and down and bark so bad the whole cage would come up off the ground. One of your jobs will be to place a dog like this and it is not easy. I turned down at least 10 people for her, even though I wanted her out of my house, and she eventually went to someone who grew up with Jack Russells so he knew what he was getting into and I was honest with him about everything. I also had another JRT puppy (almost a year old) that my own dogs attacked and killed in the yard and it was a freak thing and no one knows why - there were three other fosters here at the time - but they just didn't like this dog.

I will say the joys of fostering far outweigh the horror stories I just told you - but I do want you to be aware of some of the things that can happen. There is really nothing more rewarding than the happiness you see on a new owner's face when you give them thier new dog (which is hard to do at first).

I've posted this picture here before, but it really is a shinning example of why fostering is such a loving and wonderful thing. The JRT sitting in next to winky dog was the JRT from hell I was telling you about, but they all came from kill shelters.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post

You may even offer to start fostering as a "respite care provider" which could help slowly emerge you into the group and fostering.

You may even check with your local shelter. We have a friend who fosters the sick pets so that they don't have to be put down and can remain in adoption.
What a great idea, respite care for a short term so someone can take a break.

Some shelters have a weekend program so that the dogs just go to you for a weekend to get a change from the shelter. It is especially helpful for dogs that are expected to be at the shelter for a longer period of time than the small dogs and young pups who are quickly adopted.

The longest I've had a foster was 14 months because she had behavioral issues. I couldn't stand the thought of putting her down so she just stayed here. After many months she started to have a breakthrough, began to realize that other dogs were OK and then the pace accelerated quickly and she was deemed adoptable.

I hope that you have a great time fostering and don't get struck with keep'um fever too often or too severely. I've had a severe case just once in 4 years and more dogs than I can even remember.

Hum, what just popped into my mind is the song by Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias - To all the girls I've loved before....except for me it's To all the dogs I've loved before...

Last edited by zugor; 03-13-2010 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: add last sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs