U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-n-Robin View Post
Obviously, we haven't heard from anyone who has a dog they love. Such folks have pets who are virtual family members. While it's true that sometimes good people do bad things - there's also a difference between a mistake and malpractice. When someone enters a business to make money caring for other living creatures - people or pets - their level of responsibility rises to a new level. We fully intend to make this point to our local groomer.

PS - if you understood animals better - you would see the clear and obvious behavior change from this incident. We want to warn others that these groomers care more about money than the safety of their animals.
and obviously you have no idea what you are talking about...Accidents do happen, we have a doggy we love as much as we love our kids someitmes (well maybe not quite that much) but as I said things happen. It is sad and I am sure your dog is hurting, but to accuse this groomer of malpractice is probably unfounded. Could you sue? maybe, talk to a lawyer and get his/her opinion, but when you have ruined this persons livelyhood, see how well you sleep at night.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
What does your dog's vet have to say about the situation? Have you consulted with your own vet? I know i sure as hell wouldn't have even let that groomer's vet lay a hand on my dog.
Why do you say that, what do you know about the groomers vet? I saw a similar thing happen here in our town; no, it didn't involve a tail, and I prefer not to go into detail, but I did see a wonderful young couple, who loved dogs and did a great job almost loose their entire grooming shop because of an owner over reacting..Luckily, they were able to continue with their business, but the cost to them will set them back for maybe 5 or 10 years..

There are 2 sides to every story. I do agree the poster needs to talk with his vet..

Nita

Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM

30,513 posts, read 33,335,622 times
It was an accident and we all make them. You could have done it yourself and it would have been YOUR accident but you chose to hire someone else so it was THEIRS. It sounds like they are doing everything they can to do right by you and your dog so I wouldn't take that any further unless you somehow know for a fact that this person is a menace who has no business doing what they do (in which case I would wonder why you hired them though). I would just concentrate on your pet and have your own vet verify that he is healthy, healing, and in good condition. This too shall pass.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,717,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why do you say that, what do you know about the groomers vet?
What would you need to know? The vet's customer is the groomer, not the OP. The vet is going to make every effort to placate his customer, the groomer. Do you think that people don't ask their groomers for vet recommendations? Notice also, that the OP has not mentioned anything about that vet scheduling a follow-up appointment for the dog.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
What would you need to know? The vet's customer is the groomer, not the OP. The vet is going to make every effort to placate his customer, the groomer. Do you think that people don't ask their groomers for vet recommendations? Notice also, that the OP has not mentioned anything about that vet scheduling a follow-up appointment for the dog.
He didn't really mention much of anything if you re-read what he posted. Of course the groomer has a vet, but let's hope the vet is honest and is doing what she/he can for the patient, little doggy..What does this have to do with referances, your comment doesn't make too much sense to me...

From what we know, which is very little, the groomer took the little guy to the vet, the vet did what seemed to be the right thing, the groomer is doing everything he/she can. Of course, if Op has doubts about how doggy is healing, doggy's vet should be contacted, but nowhere did the Op mention the guy isn't healing. Instead he wants to sue and people wonder why we need tort reform??? I bet any one of us can think of a dozen times in our lives we could have sued, but we didn't...would we have been justified? Probably not, but we could have tried.

If the groomer had denied any wrong doing or ignored the damage it would be a different story, but that does not seem to be the case here. i think if it were me, I would be trying to reassure the groomer I appreciate what he/she did to help my little man or little girl..We are not talking life and death, giving the wrong meds, we don't know what happened. Maybe the dog moved really fast and caused the sissors to slip, hell I don't know and neither does anyone else...I have seen times when our kid comes back from the grommers (not the one we use now I will add) when he has been cut a little to short in a few places, I also know he hates being groomed and isn't the best behaved kid when he is put in that situation..would you rather see the groomer traqualize the dogs before grooming like used to happen all the time?

Nita

Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,717,367 times
Quote:
He didn't really mention much of anything if you re-read what he posted. Of course the groomer has a vet, but let's hope the vet is honest and is doing what she/he can for the patient, little doggy..What does this have to do with referances, your comment doesn't make too much sense to me...

Why would you put yourself in a position of having to "hope" that someone is doing the right thing? As an aside, would you be as cavalier about this if it had been a child's earlobe that was lopped off instead? The groomer was careless and negligent. Period.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Why would you put yourself in a position of having to "hope" that someone is doing the right thing? As an aside, would you be as cavalier about this if it had been a child's earlobe that was lopped off instead? The groomer was careless and negligent. Period.
and you are hearing one side of the story my friend...

Nita

Old 03-14-2010, 06:04 PM

4,756 posts, read 6,074,918 times
Quote:
and you are hearing one side of the story my friend...

Nita
Of course we are only hearing one side of the story, my friend. Maybe the groomer and or vet would like to come on and post their side of the story. I doubt that will happen though.

I can understand the OP's reaction. I can't imagine someone saying "it's just a tail, what's the problem". Tails have nerves. Animals feel pain. Anyone who thinks it's not a big deal should try chopping off their finger and see how it feels. I volunteer with a cat rescue group that has animals in one of the local pet stores. I've seen and heard what goes on in that store's grooming area. I would never bring one of my pets to that place.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,302,155 times
Wal Mart paid a lot of money for vet bills on my dogs. They had some recalled treats. They will being paying the rest my dog's life. Next year will will test once a year.

Get your bills paid. Not sure you could get punitive for the dog.

Now, that being said, I am sure I would be in treatment over it. There is the deep pockets.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-n-Robin View Post
We recently took our Lhasa-Poo(dle) to a local groomer and were called when her tail had been severely slashed with scissors. The groomer's vet decided to amputate about 3" and she's been in pain and trauma for the last week since - standing around and staring in depression. We are giving her all the love we can but feel that a) punitive damages are due from groomer AND b) we need to warn others about subjecting their pets to the same fate. All ideas and legal suggestions welcome! Thanks.
I am so sorry this happened to your dog. While I have nothing personal against groomers, I would never take a dog of mine to one. Many years ago we took our dog to a groomer regularly and she was always tired when she got home. We just thought it was too much on her but we found out they were medicating her to keep her calm. This was done without our permission. And this dog couldn't get worked up about anything if her life depended on it. They just told us they did it to all the dogs.

I hope you take or have taken her to your vet to be checked out and perhaps they could give her pain medication.

To say this shouldn't bother the op or the dog because it's just a tail is ridiculous. Pain is pain. Trauma is trauma.

I would have been personally more upset about the amputation without your permission. If the vet was there they could have stopped the bleeding and called you first but it sounds like it was quite severe.

I would also ask them to pay for any of your vet bills as you have a right to have your own vet check her out.

But it would seem to me this was just an accident. I have nicked my poor dog a few times grooming him and it can happen. Unless there is more information or you have proof they have been negligent on other occasions, I wouldn't sue. As I said I would go for any bills incurred by this and I can't see why they wouldn't pay since they are responsible.

Good luck and hope your pet recovers soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs