U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,081,574 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't believe the callous responses that the OP's received here.

I shared my story a while ago about a dog of mine who actually died at a groomers due to their negligence.

I can't believe that people in this thread are saying that "this dog hasn't been traumatized" .. "accidents happen" and "to get a grip".

OP, I feel bad for both you and your dog. I'm quite sure that your poor dog has been traumatized -- and so have you.

If it were my dog I would be furious!

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-14-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM

257 posts, read 467,282 times
Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Every bad groomer story just makes me cringe. I do agree that accidents happen, but to cause a tail amputation is extreme.

OP, take the dog to YOUR vet & get a second opinion on what was done. Have the groomer's vet fax over all records to your vet. Amputation is a surgery & should NOT have been done without your approval & signature on the appropriate forms.

Quote:
Many years ago we took our dog to a groomer regularly and she was always tired when she got home. We just thought it was too much on her but we found out they were medicating her to keep her calm. This was done without our permission.
This is SO very wrong! I have never worked at any place where this was done. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do that here. And, I would never do anything w/o an owner's permission. I talk to each individual client EVERY time they come in so we're on the same page & they know what they are getting.

Research, research, research! Ask your vet for a groomer recommendation. Ask your friends for a groomer recommendation. If it's an independently owned shop, check with the BBB. Get references. Ask questions. Find out how much experience they have.

Accidents do happen. I've been grooming since '90 & still accidents happen, but I have never caused an animal to lose a body part or part of one.

Not sure what the right thing to do is, but good luck & give your baby a hug for me. Sorry this happened

Old 03-14-2010, 10:43 PM

19,811 posts, read 55,684,185 times
I would definitely take the dog to my own vet. Maybe there is a nerve pinched in a suture, or the skin not closed properly. Let your vet examine your dog and decide what to do next medically. Then tell the groomer you want them to pay for it if anything else needs to be done.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,498,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I honestly can't believe the callous responses that the OP's received here.

I shared my story a while ago about a dog of mine who actually died at a groomers due to their negligence.

I can't believe that people in this thread are saying that "this dog hasn't been traumatized" .. "accidents happen" and "to get a grip".

OP, I feel bad for both you and your dog. I'm quite sure that your poor dog has been traumatized -- and so have you.

If it were my dog I would be furious!
OMG WC, I had NO idea. I'm SO very sorry for your traumatic loss. My God. I'm speechless.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,081,574 times
Default Accidents happen... ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
OMG WC, I had NO idea. I'm SO very sorry for your traumatic loss. My God. I'm speechless.
In my case,... my Afghan hound overheated and died in a cage with a cage dryer hanging on it where she'd been left to dry after being bathed .
The groomer said that Sasha was "whimpering" and she didn't go to see what was wrong.

The groomer was "sorry" that my dog died.... It happened many years ago.

I feel really bad for the OP. Her poor dog must have truly been traumatized.

Dogs certainly do have memory of trauma and abuse.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-15-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,442,794 times
I'm sorry that happened to your poor girl. I would definitely tell them that you might need some kind of pain medicine for her, and maybe even take her to a different vet for a follow up, for them to pay. I would try to act normal around her, take her for extra walks etc, maybe that will perk her up. Maybe she's just acting differently because she is in pain.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,442,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Dogs certainly do have memory of trauma and abuse.
I certainly believe that!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 AM

823 posts, read 2,571,545 times
OMG! I am so sorry to hear about your dog. That's terrible! I would feel terrible if that were my dog. I can't beleive some people on this site are so heartless! I don't know if you could get anything in return but I wanted to say I hope your dog feels better. So sorry to hear about his experience.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM

3,402 posts, read 12,200,979 times
Hmmm.

Rough crowd here, today, eh?

I'm so sorry for your poor lil doggie's tail. Most of the above posters are correct, however. It was an accident. If you want to "warn the public" that accidents can happen.. ? contact the BBB. That's what they're there for. That way anyone can research the groomer's business before using it and read the comments/allegations/ratings.

It would be worth really taking legal action in, if they tried to not take responsibility for their error. The dog was taken to a vet, yes? They covered the bills for the vet, yes? Did they say they were sorry enough times? What is it you are wanting to happen by having them sued, then? How much money is your dog asking for in compensation for living with a tail 3 inches shorter than before? But that's silly... what would a dog do with money. Oh wait, you wanted the money. To make you feel better...

I would be scared stiff to even entertain the thought of opening or attempting to maintain a private business in this world today. Acciden'ts happen. It's horrible. Your poor dog, in all sincerity!! Go after the ones that are heartless and coniving and manipulative, and hurt animals on purpose! Not some part-time employee that is probably horrified (if not fired already) for accidentally hurting your dog, and is emotionally scarred for this as well.

I had a dog killed while we were away on vacation years ago. The pet-sitter opened the door to let himself in, and she bolted out before he could even react- ran down the road, and was run over by an oncoming car- all of this happened within less than 90 seconds. It was horrible, it was the end of my world, it was tragic, careless, and didn't need to happen, and I was PISSED, and destroyed inside. Did we sue the petsitter.... ? No. We paid him what we owed him, and dismissed him after coming home early when we recieved the news. It was many years before I was able to look past my own selfish grief, and begin wondering what ever became of that poor boy. He wasn't more than 16, glasses, freckles, a pile of homework to do while he was here. He was shaking he was so scared when we got to the house. And he was crying. He thought we were going to kill him. His mother had to be the one to call us to even inform us of what happened originally.

People's and animal's emotions/limbs were injured during your episode, but nothing of them had anything to do with you. I feel sorry for your dog. I feel sorry even for the groomer who was attending to him. I feel sorry for everyone in the business that knows what happened, and the feeling in the pit of their stomach when it hit them that -we were responsible for this - started to sink in.

I don't want to jump on the band wagon and yell at you here for going overboard. What happened was wrong, and sad, but it was an accident nonetheless. How will blowing it out of proportion publicly make anything better? Why don't you pause the tirade for a moment, go cuddle your poor doggie for a bit. Pull him onto your lap, and just love on him, reassure him that he's safe, and won't ever go through it again. And be very careful. Choose a new groomer? Or demand a new grooming employee when you go back? - but above all else, reinforce justice, which in this case would be, seeing that the medical care is attended to with your dog, and that they don't hesistate to pay for it in full. After all, it is their fault.

Give him a hug for me.
And take a deep breath. Forgiveness is cheaper than hiring a process server. And it feels better.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 AM

13,758 posts, read 18,644,584 times
Yes as a person who has had a dog injured at the hands of a neglectful groomer , I agree sue her and her vet for every penny !!! my dog was being groomed and the groomer left my dog on the table while in the loop they use to hold the dog steady , she claimed that there was shampoo in the dogs eye . Nope my dog was choked by the loop and my dog had a damaged retina because of it . I sued because she lied about it had she been upfront I probably would 'nt have sued because accidents do happen . My dog is my child and a memeber of my family and that to me is more precious than
anything to me . so im all for you suing .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs