U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 PM

142 posts, read 481,528 times

Advertisements

Roxy and Zoey got in a fight Friday afternoon. It was awful. It wasn't a scuffle or a tiff it was a full blown I want a piece of you fight. I literally threw myself on top of one of them to separate them. In the process I got bit and it ripped my fingernail from the nailbed. They just got a few cuts on their face/ears. Even though I saw the whole thing happen, I don't know what started it. The rest of the day went fine, but they got in another fight today. Roxy is staying at my brother's house until I decide what to do. I don't think I can keep both of them My husband is deployed so if I do rehome one of them he won't even get a chance to say goodbye to whomever I rehome.

They got along so well I don't know where I went wrong. Here is some background info. Roxy just turned 2, we adopted her July 08 (she was about 6 months old) she is a pit bull mix. Zoey is about 3 we adopted her November 08, she is a german shepherd mix. I also have Duke whom we adopted September 09, he just turned one, also a german shepherd mix. He was not involved in these fights although Roxy recently attacked him (I am pretty sure it was over a toy). They all get daily walks 30min-1hr and have access to a big yard. When my husband deployed in November I moved back home to live with my parents in Michigan. They have a bigger yard then they did in Texas but smaller living space (they aren't allowed in certain rooms). My husband was home for two weeks at the beginning of February for mid-tour leave.

This whole situation is just breaking my heart. This is supposed to be their forever home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,181,700 times
I think you are facing an issue with two female dogs in the same house and Roxy is "all grown up" now and things have changed.

A lot of times you can't resolve the issues beteween two females that fight. You should be able to assert yourself enough that they will not fight in your presence but they may never get along and you may have to either rehome one or shuffle dogs [which a lot of people do]

The males typically posture, but females sometimes fight to the end.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 32,764,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think you are facing an issue with two female dogs in the same house and Roxy is "all grown up" now and things have changed.

A lot of times you can't resolve the issues beteween two females that fight. You should be able to assert yourself enough that they will not fight in your presence but they may never get along and you may have to either rehome one or shuffle dogs [which a lot of people do]

Those broads: they're ruthless...

granny has more experience with "hard" breeds than I do, but you will see some changes in the family dynamics when a puppy reaches about 2 years of age. If the young dog has any natural assertiveness or competitiveness, that's about the age that the challenges to the older pet start. Sometimes they will sort things out on their own if one dog is tougher than the other and the weaker dog actually knows when to quit. Does that sound like your dogs? If not, you probably know what to do.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,077,523 times
I had two females that were very serious about fighting. So I know what your going through. We worked for about a year with them and no matter what we tried they were not going to get along, I did end up re homing one. The stress level in the house was just awful, our male was so stressed by these two not getting along that every time they were in the same room together he would run and hide in the hall and pee. I also didn't want to keep one locked up while the other's were spending time with the family and then switch. I found a great home for the one and she has been with then for about 3 years now and is so happy to be the only dog which is probably what she should of been. She gets along with other dogs, she just doesn't want to live with them. When she had been with them for about a year we went and saw her, it was like she had always been their dog.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's not easy to re home, but sometimes you have to do what is best for all involved.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 PM

142 posts, read 481,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

They way they were fighting, I am surprised they only had minor scrapes. I don't think shuffling the dogs would be fair to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Those broads: they're ruthless...

granny has more experience with "hard" breeds than I do, but you will see some changes in the family dynamics when a puppy reaches about 2 years of age. If the young dog has any natural assertiveness or competitiveness, that's about the age that the challenges to the older pet start. Sometimes they will sort things out on their own if one dog is tougher than the other and the weaker dog actually knows when to quit. Does that sound like your dogs? If not, you probably know what to do.
Roxy has always been "alpha" over Zoey despite the fact that she is younger.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM

556 posts, read 1,729,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
I don't think shuffling the dogs would be fair to them.
Riley - I'm so sorry you are going through this with your two girls. You can read up on my two males - who live completely separated with us. It's an adjustment - but the dogs could care less - as long as they are with us - so don't be quick to say it wouldn't be fair to the dogs, unless you are just not able to give the dogs proper time/care if they are separated.

There have been quite a few posts about same sex resident dogs not getting along - you can probably search and find you are not alone in this. The best to you and your dogs - our two males are quite content as long as there are proper barriers between them....but I know that's not ideal for everyone. For us - rehoming one of ours wasn't even a consideration...so we make it work to keep us all 'together'

Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,181,700 times
I may have a challenge when I get my next working dog. I have a retired [due to bad hips] female who is dominant and a bit edgy with other females but does great with males and a male who is still working, intact, and gets along with everyone.

BUT when the kids bring over their male, while the boys "get along" there is too much attempt at "no, let ME put MY head over your shoulder" "no, ME!" and head banging [they look like walruses] that I break it up before it gets a chance to escalate and would not be comfortable with the two of them together unsupervised.

My personal inclination is a female because it would have less potential negative impact on the working male...and the females are smaller which I would like......oh it gets complex...that and the incredible bond the male has with me.. my female loves whoever will pet her but my male is MY dog.

I need to find and start training his replacment in about a year as he will be 7 in August. ........ so it really can be a struggle........... A lot of working dog folks due shuffle. My two get along great but sometimes I shuffle so we can have one on one time but I telecommute which gives me a lot of contact time with the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs